Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Checked ECAS & Interview May 5!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 4:13pm
Long distraction follows:
(Involved analysis of common-law issues increasing prospect of interview and/or increased scrutiny of the existence of the relationship.)

I understand that the policy and rules have a more severe impact on some couples than others. I am not an apologist for CIC policy (though I suppose at times I may come across that way, even though my intent and hope is to help illuminate the process for others), and, in particular, it is not as if I have analyzed all the particulars.

That said, as definitive parameters as possible need to be delineated in order to guide prospective applicants, Canadians with significant ties and relationships to persons abroad, and the CIC personnel (including Visa Officers in embassies abroad) who process immigration matters; the parameters also need to be sufficiently clear that the Federal Court's can exercise reasonable review. Thus, lines need to be drawn somewhere and, as a practical matter, wherever they are drawn there will close cases/calls one side or the other of the lines as drawn.

The rub in your case, which I think is an important consideration other common-law applicants (or, especially those looking toward making common-law applications), is that dichotomy between proof of the existence of the qualifying relationship for a marriage in law versus a marriage in fact.

For a marriage in law, a government certificate constitutes the primary (and in the absence of indications to the contrary, like a plural marriage or one violating affinity conditions) essentially sufficient proof of the existence of the qualifying relationship. In short, the applicant effectively meets the applicant's burden of proof by submitting a copy of a marriage certificate.

For a marriage in fact (more often referred to as a "common-law" relationship), meeting the applicant's burden of proof is a matter of persuasively/convincingly marshalling the evidence to prove the fact of an exclusive, conjugal relationship with commitments on a par with a traditional marriage. Certain minimum factual requirements are specified, the requirement of a full year of cohabitation looming as the most salient of these.

The above is in effect well-known, the well-recognized analysis of the applicant's burden of proof relative to establishing the existence of the qualifying relationship.

The following is my further analysis, though as I recall there is at least some suggestion or allusion to this in CIC materials:

The essence of the proof of a common-law relationship, thus, revolves around living together; so, when a couple are not physically living together, that poses a prima facie indication contrary to being common-law. The burden then is on the applicant to overcome the inference (due to not physically living together) that the couple are not in a common-law relationship or that the common-law relationship has not terminated.

I have little idea to what extent that alone will trigger a significantly more intrusive, intensive degree of scrutiny, though I believe it probably is proportionate to various factors, like the underlying strength of evidence showing the creation and maintenance of the common-law relationship itself, as well as the nature, length, and reason for the separation. The longer the separation, the more skepticism I suspect.

In your case, there is the added factor of an "ex" in the picture, and the applicant living in (relatively) closer proximity to the "ex" than to the sponsor. That probably (emphasis on probably since in many respects I am engaging in speculation -- albeit I believe it is a rational, reasonable assessment of what is likely) elevates the degree of scrutiny in your case on at least three levels, two simply related to proving the existence of the qualifying relationship (as in proof of common-law notwithstanding living apart, and proof of termination of relationship with "ex"), and the other relative to MOC/fraud . . . one of the more common "frauds" committed is a FN couple terminates their relationship so that one can enter into a marriage/relationship with a Canadian, get sponsored into Canada, terminate the relationship with the Canadian, and then turn around and sponsor their original partner. I am not suggesting, in anyway whatsoever, that that is your situation (and indeed, it appears to absolutely not be), but CIC is a bureaucracy not a social service, they operate based on checklists and prescribed parameters, so your scenario may very well trigger a degree of scrutiny of this sort as well . . . all the time, remember, that the burden of proof is on the applicant.

Again, I recognize that the policies and parameters followed by CIC can, and on perhaps too many occasions do have a disproportionately unfair, even severe, impact on some legitimate Canadian sponsors and PR applicants. I have offered this in an effort to illuminate how and why (at least to the extent I can discern) the process works this way in cases like this.

I doubt this info is of much help to you now. It appears you are nearly through the process and all should go well . . . and I certainly hope it does. But perhaps it will help others to understand the implications of certain factual circumstances better so they can better offer prospective applicants relevant and informative advice.       
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
EnglishMuffin View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnglishMuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 6:36pm
Again, one can detect the lawyer's hand in the way you skillfully weigh the doubts in our case against the checks and balances that CIC employs.

Indeed, a portion of my partner's interview revolved around the circumstances of her ex and her continued estrangement from him of over seven years (you are correct in a manner of speaking that he is nearer to my partner than I geographically, but in terms of thousands of miles, she being in the UK and he a teacher in the Middle East). The officers gently explained that their questioning on that front was to satisfy themselves that the relationship had ended in the absence of a divorce, such that she could not then once being granted PR, separate from me and start proceedings to sponsor her husband to Canada. What is never factored into the proceedings however, is the skills and abilities of the estranged ex, with him being a gifted head of mathematics that would find little barrier in moving to either the US or Canada on a work visa, entirely on his own merits should he so decide. Further, little if indeed anything is made in the sponsorship application to embelish the reasons why someone would not have divorced their estranged husband; I shall not go into details here, but suffice to say my partner's explanation was entirely satisfactory to the officers and on humanitarian grounds if no other they did not ask her in any way to look into starting proceedings with a solicitor, merely to provide a legally drawn up separation agreement.

As to the length of my partner's separation from I, well, I moved here in March 2008 after over a year of cohabitation with her in the UK and several years of a relationship with her before that; whereupon she visited me for two weeks in June 2008 (using up all her vacation time), quit her job in September 2008 and came to Canada where she stayed for four months, whereupon she returned to the UK fully expecting as we both did that an interview or decision was imminent, it having reached 9 months processing time. She then returned for a further six months in Canada in June 2009, whereupon we made numerous visits to our MP to find out what on earth was taking so long, and finally she returned for her interview in the UK which was scheduled for December 2009. She has her flight booked again to return here in June 2010. These are not the actions of someone attempting to get into Canada by the back door or a relationship of convenience, which was echoed by all of the officers at the interview. I think very little question was actually directed at my partner as to the status of our relationship, or questions fielded to test her on how well she knew me.

It is a maze that we are forced to navigate with this process, particularly with what the IOs termed 'a case of unusual circumstances' to my partner, and I wish that I had had someone with sufficient knowledge of the relevant red flags, be it a reputable consultant or other informed individual to look over our application earlier in the process and say simply, stop, flesh out this in more depth, this is what they will be looking to know.

Until we see that visa in my loved one's passport this process will continue to eat away at both of us and tear our emotions. My partner is an educated lady who enjoys being occupied and it is a very debilitating experience for her to have to wait out her time in a country where she cannot work, or even volunteer whilst her friends and loved ones around her have such busy lives. If with hindsight we could have possibly known this would take such an age, we would have looked instead at an inland application which could have afforded her the open work visa after AIP were reached. God knows, it has taken us longer Outland than an Inland application normally takes!

Forgive the rant against the bureacratic machine; we just want an end now, the chance to rebuild our lives in this glorious country.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 3:38am
Entirely understandable. And unfortunate. And, perhaps, also a cautionary tale . . . the process is no rubber stamp, and prospective sponsors and applicants are wise to invest more than a little time navigating the nuances of the process before sending in that application.

It does appear, however, that the major hurdles have been passed, and it should get resolved, and favourably so, relatively soon.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
tunisianbride View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tunisianbride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 11:24am
Thanks so much English Muffin!  I'll let you know how everything goes after the interview on May 5th.Smile
Oct.08/09-Appl.sent CPC-M
Nov.04/09-Approved
Dec.29/09-ECAS 'in process'
Jan.07/10-AOR-Paris
Apr.19/10-interview May 5th
Jun.15/10-Decision Made
Jun.25/10-'Refused'!
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 4:15pm
Tunisianbride:  please make sure to write after your interview - I am very curious as to what they are going to ask you, and what your general impression is of the Paris visa office.  I'm fully expecting an invterview there later this year, so the more information I have, the better.

Good luck -- you must be totally excited... tomorrow is the big day!!!!
peachy871 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy871 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:37pm
Good luck today, Tunisianbride!!!
Peachy
Cuds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 3:02pm

Thinking about you!!!

Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 3:54pm
I am *dying* to hear your report, Tunisianbride...  tell us EVERYTHING!!!!
rdanny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 1:38am
I am very eager to hear how your interview went!
Citizenship
Sent application 05-21-13
Re-sent w/ missing info 07-17-13
App received 07-22-13
Started processing 10-02-13
Received book 10-29-13
Received RQ - 02-24-14
javcil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javcil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 1:40am
Me too!!!!  I'm sure it was great though!
Application received in Mississauga Jan. 16/10
Sponsorship approved Feb. 4/10
Received in Ankara ... in process Feb. 24/10
Interview scheduled April 21/10
Visa received Apr. 22/10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic