Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Communication Proof - How much is really needed?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Communication Proof - How much is really needed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Communication Proof - How much is really needed?
    Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 4:54pm
Hi All,

I'm feeling confused about how much proof to include in the "communication" category for our spousal application. We were married late last year but have essentially been living together since fall of 2006 in Canada (so much of our communication has been talking). I'm tempted to include 2 or 3 e-mails from the start of our relationship and maybe two or three e-mails from each subsequent year. I don't feel that I need to go overboard in this category since I think the other supporting evidence we are providing will more than satisfy any concerns that our relationship is real. Any thoughts or experiences to share? Am I being stupid by not including 100+ e-mails?

I am already including the following proof in the sponsorship package:

Wedding & Reception

write up of event, wedding invitation, wedding RSVPs, shower invitation, wedding program, wedding photos (about 60), wedding budget ($25K), wedding bills, list of who attended and relationship to us, registry list (printed from online), special occasions permit (thing that let us drink!), cards received from shower and wedding guests.

Honeymoon

write up of trip, flights, hotel bookings, photos

Joint travel/vacations from 2006 to 2010

print outs of flight tickets for trips we took together to: Montreal, Nashville, Cleveland (twice), Pittsburgh, Las Vegas (3 times), Boston, Houston, Seattle, Egypt, Morocco, UK, Malaysia/Indonesia, Fiji/Australia, Vietnam/Thailand/Cambodia.

Additional photos

photos from trips, photos with family, photos with friends
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
matthewc View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 5:21pm
A representative sample of emails over the course of your relationship is fine, you don't need to include them all.

Anything that shows you have combined your affairs is also good - shared bank accounts, life insurance listing each other as beneficiary, etc. Read OP2 sections 5.26 and 5.35 for more examples.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf
e-CAS Tracker - Get notified when your e-CAS changes
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 5:52pm
ditto

If you have been living together, and the rest of your proof shows that, there is little or no need to have documentation of "communication" . . . they are mostly looking for proof of "contact" when not together, and if a couple has been together extensively, that is indeed contact of a high and convincing order.

We submitted very little proof of communication, none other than a number of emails (spaced out over the course of many years), but had proof of several holidays spent together and time I spent in Canada to be near her.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
britincanada View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by scylla scylla wrote:

Hi All,

I'm feeling confused about how much proof to include in the "communication" category for our spousal application. We were married late last year but have essentially been living together since fall of 2006 in Canada (so much of our communication has been talking). I'm tempted to include 2 or 3 e-mails from the start of our relationship and maybe two or three e-mails from each subsequent year. I don't feel that I need to go overboard in this category since I think the other supporting evidence we are providing will more than satisfy any concerns that our relationship is real. Any thoughts or experiences to share? Am I being stupid by not including 100+ e-mails?

We are in the same boat, we have lived together pretty much continuously from Fall 2005, with only a 6 month gap in June to Dec 2008. So I am concentrating on proving our relationship through testimonies from family and friends and Proof of combined affairs i.e Joint Bank Accounts, my self as beneficiary on my Husbands Insurance policy, photographs, flight itineraries, a few emails we do have, phone records from our 6 months apart, we dont have too many joint bills so I have included bills showing that we have the same address! Also cards and letters from Family and Friends for our wedding, at Christmas, Easter etc to show our families acknowledge our relationship. I have also added in all the same info for our wedding too!

I have very few email and chat logs etc as we have done all our communication by talking face to face!
App received by CPC-M 1/06/10
Sponsorship approved 29/06/10
In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10
ELIGIBLE TO BECOME CITIZEN 4/11/2012
ColorMePanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColorMePanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 6:48pm
I am glad to see I am not the only one here that has been thinking of this.
When we first met online we only talked a bit over Yahoo IM but lost a lot of those since my computer didn't save them and my fiance's computer broke so we lost those but most of our communication was over the phone.

We talked for about 6 months from late May 2008 to November 2008 before we met. So I am going to supply the instant messages I do have salvaged, screencap of him on cam, and phone records from May 2008-November 2008. I am trying to make the best of what we do have.

We have lived together ever since November of 2008 but were unable to gather many joint documents until now as many people and companies wouldn't let me be a part of anything based on me not being a resident yet though I tried to explain that was what a lot of what I was requesting was going to be used for. So right now all we have is 2 joint bank accounts, a savings account, joint credit cards, cards mailed to me at the same address, drivers license with the same address, cards and pictures from celebrating holidays and birthdays with his family since I lived here, evidence of me staying with him in the hospital when he was sick and that is a bit of what we have right now.

I am hoping that a lot of these will satisfy them. I plan to explain the reason why a lot of our accounts were not obtained until later on in our relationship and some of them we didn't want to obtain until closer to getting married. Though some things I worry about not having such as utility bills or rental agreements as we live with his parents. Or not having car documents as we can't afford a car right now until we both have income. And not having me as a beneficiary to life insurance because my fiance wouldn't qualify for many insurances based on him having cystic fibrosis. I guess we just have to make the best of what we do have. I am hoping it will be enough though for them to see that we really are a genuine couple but some things just aren't as easy to obtain as others. I feel if we tried to gather too much of what is on the list then it will look more staged than an actual progression in a relationship. Maybe that makes sense.
INLAND!
Total time for PR: 10 Months and 16 Days
boundary47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boundary47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 7:00pm
The questions in the application seem intended to help a couple with a long-distance and/or short relationship understand what evidence they need to prove their relationship.  Couples like britincanada and depenabill can usually find lots of strong evidence to prove they have a conjugal relationship.  Things like telephone records, emails, chat logs, etc. are much weaker evidence than proof that a couple have actually lived together for a few years.  A long-distance relationship can be faked much more easily than a few of years "in the trenches" in a well-documented real-world partnership.

My wife and I have known each other for only 16 months, live in separate countries, and have never established a shared home, so we knew our chat logs, emails, etc. would be much more important than those who live together.  By all means, provide records to show the development of the relationship.  But I think the strongest evidence you can provide is proof that you've joined your lives in all ways as a cohabiting couple.  
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColorMePanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by boundary47 boundary47 wrote:

The questions in the application seem intended to help a couple with a long-distance and/or short relationship understand what evidence they need to prove their relationship.  Couples like britincanada and depenabill can usually find lots of strong evidence to prove they have a conjugal relationship.  Things like telephone records, emails, chat logs, etc. are much weaker evidence than proof that a couple have actually lived together for a few years.  A long-distance relationship can be faked much more easily than a few of years "in the trenches" in a well-documented real-world partnership.

My wife and I have known each other for only 16 months, live in separate countries, and have never established a shared home, so we knew our chat logs, emails, etc. would be much more important than those who live together.  By all means, provide records to show the development of the relationship.  But I think the strongest evidence you can provide is proof that you've joined your lives in all ways as a cohabiting couple.  

Very good advice B47 as usual.
May ask how your case is doing? I noticed you updated it to say Code 12. What might that be?
INLAND!
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 8:01pm
Colormepanda: we have never had a joint rental lease in Canada until we got married as we are living at my Husbands parents and have done much of the time! So what he have done is get his parents to confirm these facts in a Statutory Declaration signed by a Commission of Oaths and back in the summer just after we got married we wrote our own rental contract - as we do pay rent (very reduced rate) we all signed it and had a 3rd person witness it!
In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColorMePanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 8:26pm
britincanada: I am so glad to see though that we are not the only ones going through this. I am hoping to get his mom or dad to write a letter stating the same though I doubt I can get them to get it notarized as his mom is very picky to anything being notarized or legally binding. :(  We also thought to write our own rent contract but we do not pay rent but we do however pay so much money a month to his mom to pay for the phone/internet/cable bill. Even if we don't have that to include then we may later on since we may be moving in September so gosh forbid if they need more documents or interview, we will have more proof. 
INLAND!
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 8:34pm
Colormepanda: Even if its not notorized it is worth asking his mum and dad to write a letter!! We are also moving come July so we will also have a joint rental contract at our new address! Anything you can get as proof is always good. I am sure the IO's have seen all kinds of situations processing cases and there is no set situation that you have to be - except common-law or married etc...not everyone is expected to own their own home etc. Lots of people find it hard to get both names on bills ect, its only since we got married and I got my VR that banks have let us have joint bank accounts and such like! I had no Canadian Government ID before August 2009!  
In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic