Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question on preserving Canadian PR for 3 yr old
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question on preserving Canadian PR for 3 yr old

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ecs View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on preserving Canadian PR for 3 yr old
    Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 5:31pm
Thanks Matthewc.
Thats what I am planning on doing. In fact just paid the fees online. Will have all the documents and will send it out over the weekend.

Thanks for all your helps friends.
Family Class
App Sent-1May09
CPC-M Returned - 28thMay
Resent:12Jun
Spon Appvd:03Sep
AOR(Buffalo):14Sep
PPR Request:23Nov
Landed:25Nov
matthewc View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 11:46am
Minor children do not need to meet the requirement to live in Canada 3/4 years before qualifying for citizenship, so you can apply for citizenship on their behalf just so as long as one parent is already a citizen (or applying for citizenship at the same time).

So, if one parent is a citizen (and the child is not a citizen by birth), you can apply for the child's citizenship as soon as the child gets PR status.

The child's PR status is preserved by living with the Canadian citizen parent outside Canada, so in theory you could apply for their citizenship even when you live outside Canada. Why wait, though, when you can apply now.
e-CAS Tracker - Get notified when your e-CAS changes
ecs View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 8:10am
Thanks dpenabill.
Since Minors do not have to accumulate 1095 days, then staying outside Canada for an under 22 year should not be an issue for applying Citizenship, right?
I know I can apply Citizenship for my child now. They recently became a PR. But in the future if I move out of Canada, can my child qualify for applying Citizneship from otuside Canada?
Family Class
App Sent-1May09
CPC-M Returned - 28thMay
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 4:28am
A Canadian PR who is under 22 can count, toward meeting the PR residency requirement, each day abroad spent accompanying a Canadian citizen provided that the citizen is that person's parent.

"Accompanying" means to be living with (at the least).

See Appendix A "Residency Obligation" in the guide for applying to renew the PR card.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5445E.PDF

(similarly for accompanying a parent who is a PR employed full time by a Canadian business)

Proof is necessary. Again, see the Appendix to the guide for the PR card renewal application.

Edited by dpenabill - 16 Apr 2010 at 4:31am
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
ecs View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 7:06pm
I have a question on maintaining PR status for minors. I know a spouse of a Canadian Citizen can maintain PR even he/she stays outside the country along with the Canadian Spouse but does that rule apply to minor children as well?

Thanks in advance
Family Class
App Sent-1May09
CPC-M Returned - 28thMay
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic