Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jamaican cases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 526527528529530 1919>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
charles45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 10:45am
Greetings all,

Just saying hello.  Nothing happening in T&T forum, either...

Lizann, yea, 6 months to a year....   is whenever, yes.

Only citizens are able to vote.  As a PR most things are allowed for one, almost, as a citizen, but this one thing they hold back. 
I had read with the last elections, in 2008, that they wanted to get immigrants to vote, who were not yet citizens, but I guess as of right now, that fell through.

Applied 6 Jul 2007
AOR 07 Sep 2007
Request for updated Docs Mar 2012
Throat Severed and Cessation of file established on 6th July, 2012.     
munchie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 6:38pm
Okay...deep breaths.....snow, ice and rain all in one! Interesting to say the least!

Permanent residents are not allowed to vote. Only citizens! By all means I agree with that rule!

A_yardie, Pussjuck and myself reminisced today about how we each found out  about immigration to Canada. I found out through hubby who was quietly doing his research after determining that he was tired of the BS in Jamaica. ie crime and the indiginity of joining a line in the hot sun to get a visitors visa to go to the US - passing by Liguanea in the mornings has a way of working on your psyche! I was compelled to act when he outlined his vision for his children and me (at the time I was just girlfriend and here it is him planning for me as "WIFE and mother"....I was sold!!!! Heart

But on a serious note hold on to those beliefs on why you have chosen this route for a better life. There are challenges and joys to be had....I will not be denied!

"There is no reason, no excuse, no alibi, no fate, that can hinder an individual that is focused on a specific purpose."

Stay safe forumites and have a happy and Hoy Easter!

PS. $13 fi a mawga Yummy Easter bun and $25 fi a smalll tin a Tastee cheese....mi nuh miss it that much fi say mi a go buy it up here.....HELL to the NO! When the outtaoda Easter Bunny start put money inna him egg mi will reconsider! Shocked

Edited by munchie - 19 Apr 2011 at 6:43pm
Applied - Nov 2007 | Doc Req - Nov 2008 | Med & P.O.F Req - Mar 2009 | PR Granted - Oct 2009 | Landed - Jun 2010 | Permanently residing Jan 2010 | Citizenship 201_?
chefincayman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chefincayman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 12:20am
hi everyone. hope everyone is doing well. today i got letter from CHC Kingston asking me to send the passport for visa stamping....
Lizann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 12:38am
Congrats Chefy!

You"re on your way! GOD Bless!! As always if we can help with anything let us know!

Edited by Lizann - 21 Apr 2011 at 8:21am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chefincayman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Lizann Lizann wrote:

Congrats Chefy!
 youre on your way! GOD Bless!! As always if we can help with anything let us know!

thanks for the encouragement. ia m planning to do landing in calagry or toronto in june first week. will stay there for 4 days. do u think that timeframe is good to get all teh paper work done in canada. bcoz i willl come back to cayman and finish my contract of 2 years ( which will end in may 2013) and finally move to canada
Lizann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 1:12am
Hey Chefy -

4 days may be a tad tight but it can be done - but depends on what you need to get done. Nothing to do paperwork wise once you land re your PR cards as your PR cards will be mailed to you automatically -
Remember to have your planned home address in Canada to give them . Also do not tell them you'll only be there for 4 days.

You can get your SIN #'s the same day you apply  and use them to open bank accounts so if what you wanted to do 4 days would be ok if all you want to get done.   Remeber you cant apply for OHIP then as you have a 3 month wait period and also have to show proof of residency to apply (bill in your name etc)
I got my OHIP cards in Feb after landing in Nov.

You can be out of the country for 3 years in a five year period and not have your residency affected so you could persue the plan you have.

Hope helped with your queries !  All the best!

T

Edited by Lizann - 21 Apr 2011 at 8:21am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chefincayman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 2:21am
Thanks for quick reply. all my plans for those 3days is to get pr, sin, ohip, open bank accounts and get drivers license.wat u think. another thing i am planning to land in calgary, as in calgary ur covered for healt insurance , the day u land. as i am planning to have a baby now , i think landing in calgary will be better , as i can fly 5-6 weeks before delivery if doctors allow me to and i am covered with public insurance there( calgary), but i am not sure if its same for toronto also. so in that way the new born is born canadian saving a lot of hassles later and also u dont have to pay for delivery and other expenses. anyway liz where ru located in Canada now.
Lizann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 7:41am
Hi Chefy 

I dont know much about Calgary and insurance but if you get it immeidately great !! Congrats on the baby and yes it makes sense to have the baby there !!

I also cant speak to the drivers license system in Alberta as in Ontario after the written test you have to make an appointment to do your driving test and unless space is available it can take a week to two weeks for an open slot.

We're making the move slowly but surely as we had to land pretty quickly after we the the PPR call  as our medicals were about to expire so now that landing is done and all basics (SIN, Bank accounts, Cell phone, Credit card - to start building our credit history) -making the move a step at a time. I head up in May for a few days to take more things up and also to collect my income tax assessment as I filed my first set of taxes !!!

Even tho I had no Canadian income to report I had to file to ensure I continued receiving my CCTB and UCB benefits for my little man.

I"m sure other forum family members will have lots more advice for you as well as their congrats !!
Pardon any typos - using my blackberry !! lol

GOD Bless !!

Edited by Lizann - 21 Apr 2011 at 8:23am
Lizann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 8:26am
Munchie -
As erratic as the weather sounds now - I can handle the cold easier thn the ehat that weve been having the last few weeks - its been brutal - so hoping thee will be some "cold" for me when I get there next month !!Wink

shekool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shekool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 9:28am
Hey Guys,

Congrats Chefincayman,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember reading (unfortunately dont remember where so cant provide a link) calgary is a good place to land cause of the health insurance benefit.

Happy Landing and wishing u a safe deliver!!!!!1

Tek care . ..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 526527528529530 1919>
  Share Topic