Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jamaican cases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 518519520521522 1919>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
msbb97 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msbb97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 4:29pm
YeahYeah,

They mostly talk about the PNP, extending your student visa and obtaining the off campus work permit.

Our applications will remain in our original countries, they will not transfer them. Once you move, make sure you contact them and change your address, that's what I did. They will send the medical request to your new address with a list of Canadian doctors you can see.

Girl it took me 2 months to clean out my house and boy did I have rubbish, I never thought either that I had collected so much rubbish over the years. I promised myself not to live like that again.'

Charles, as a student here, you have all rights like anyone else, except you cant vote or get a PR card or passport.   You can open bank accounts, get credit cards, buy a house, a car, file taxes, get a driving permit - you have the basic rights like anyone else. I used my student ID for the while until I got my DP and I am using that as ID.

One good thing you get alot of benefits as a student, like interest free credit card, no fee bank accounts, student discounts when buying a car and in some cases a home and concessions when filing taxes.

I did fall off the radar as I was busy making my move and preparing myself mentally for all the changes. I haven't regretted it one bit. My mind set now is that I am here, living my life and when ever PR comes, it will come. In the mean time, make the most of it!

Edited by msbb97 - 20 Mar 2011 at 4:31pm
Applied - Jan 4th 2007
AOR - Jan 6th 2007
Docs Req. - March 24th 2009
Docs Submitted - May 11th 2009
Waiting .........

God Is Good!
pussjuck View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pussjuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 5:53pm
LOL!!! it took me 2 and a half months to clear out stuff especially paper even the nite when I was packing I was still tearing up paper. MSbb dito girl i hope I don't ever have so much paper again.

Hi guys how u all doing hoping all is well. Yeahyeah u wrist soon start hurt u fi tear up paper I had to just stop and burn.LOL!!! all the best girl.

Nuff love and blessings to u all.
with God all things are possible
Jahmour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jahmour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 9:28pm
Msb, true words..I also get discount on my phone bill for being a student.
Keep the faith guys!

Puss/Yardie: How unnuh do?
munchie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 4:36pm
Hello All

Yeahyeah its good to know you have started the spring cleaning process. Ayardie and I left our house with stuff still in it and authorized friends and family to take what they wanted. All because we waited till December and that was still not enough time.

I would suggest to you to deal with all the clothes and shoes first that you know you are going to part with. You can either go the Salvation Army or call them and they will pick up the items you will be donating ie not using. There is a drive in drop off centre across from Devon House at Waterloo. When it comes to knick knacks what you cant sell just carry to work and trust me when I say somebody will take them up . You can donate your magazines and books to the Salvation Army or Missionarie of The Poor. Note that they will take furniture and appliances that you have.
If you are selling stuff - the first thing is to check with people you know as I found that someone is always looking for a deal. If not just do a Gleaner Sunday Classified ad and be prepared for people to call you from the Saturday  - make sure you make note of what price you are selling at and be prepared to hold your ground and compromise a bit!!

I am somewhat not to in tune with the idea of shipping anything  I find the costs associated prohibitive however if you must bring up something consider bringing it in later - via family or friends. Ayardie can give you more advice on that.

Now paper documents take time go through everything and discard what you are not keeping. I tell everyone to keep copies of all bills for at least a year and I can tell you that a JPS situation reach mi up here in Canada and I had my paid bills etc to prove dem wrong bong!!! Awhoa.

Bank records you must keep at least the last 5 years and of course your policy documents and share certs etc.

Bring with you copies of all RGD documents ie Birth, Death and Marriage.....u will need it and those RGD people are like dealing wid the devil himself.

Edited by munchie - 21 Mar 2011 at 4:53pm
Applied - Nov 2007 | Doc Req - Nov 2008 | Med & P.O.F Req - Mar 2009 | PR Granted - Oct 2009 | Landed - Jun 2010 | Permanently residing Jan 2010 | Citizenship 201_?
shekool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shekool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 11:36am
Hey Guys,

Need ur help.  If I am sending documents to canada from Jamaica and want it to reach in 1-3 business days, which courier would you recommend??

munchie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 11:46am
Dear Mrs Ffolkes- Abrahams:

I applied to emigrate to Canada under the Federal Skilled Class programme back in 2008 prior to the embassy changing the requirements.

I took the test and scored more than the requirement. I applied and submitted my documents when told to do so. I got a letter from the embassy giving me an estimated time for processing and that time has passed. Also, my situation has changed, as I am now a business owner and manager. Do you think I should get a lawyer to see what is happening or I should wait on the embassy?

Waiting.

Dear Waiting:

The system is backlogged due to the large number of persons who apply every year to enter Canada under the skilled worker programme.

There are also limits that have been placed on the number of applications processed each year and within each category. The government has introduced changes and limits to this popular programme. Presently, there are ongoing consultations with the view to making further changes. There are proposals for greater emphasis to be placed on proficiency in either English or French language along with more points being allotted to younger immigrants under this programme. The proposals favour younger persons as studies show that they are more likely to adapt quickly. There is some good news in terms of expanding the capacity for trade persons to immigrate which will probably be the way of the future. The application form states that if there are any changes to the information given that you will immediately inform Immigration Canada with respect to the changes on your application.

Under consideration also is the point system where in order to be successful, applicants must gain 67 points out of a possible 100. Points are awarded based on education, work experience, age, language and arranged employment in Canada. The government proposes to increase the amount of points given to proficiency in language, youth, and to person who are trained in the skilled trades as Canada is experiencing a shortage in the area of trained skilled workers. There will also be proposals for tighter control on job offers to ensure that they are genuine.

processing time

Applications received before February 27, 2008 are taking approximately 43 months. Between November 28, 2008 and June 25, 2010 applications are taking approximately 14 months. You can check your processing time on line or you can ask a lawyer to make enquiries on your behalf. You should be aware that Canadian Immigration authorities will only deal with lawyers who are members in good standing with their provincial law society in Canada or with consultants who are in good standing with the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants.

Waiting to hear back from immigration authorities is not uncommon. I hope that you will hear from them in the near future and that you will have good news.

Sharon Ffolkes-Abrahams is a barrister/solicitor of bars in Jamaica and Ontario, Canada. She is former president of the Jamaican Diaspora Canada Foundation and former counsel at the Ontario Human Rights Commission. Email: [email protected]

Applied - Nov 2007 | Doc Req - Nov 2008 | Med & P.O.F Req - Mar 2009 | PR Granted - Oct 2009 | Landed - Jun 2010 | Permanently residing Jan 2010 | Citizenship 201_?
munchie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 11:50am
The above was an excerpt from The Gleaner today - March 22, 2011.
yeahyeah View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yeahyeah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 12:45pm
Morning all

Thanks MSBB and Munchie for the pointers.

Shekool DHL and Fedex are very good. I sent my application to School and it tool 2 days to get there!

Munchie from that article clearly we are all in the same boat. Nuff people out there reading and not posting and take it from me, when I tell you that when we discuss things here it helps alot of persons even though we may not know it.

Thanks for those abroad that continue to help even though this part of the process is over for you.

Most of us have passed the the timeline given to us so really it is just about the wait that we have to endure . It hard man me nahh tell no lie, but I know God knows our hearts and he will work it out for us.

Elad nice talking to you last night mi bredrin!

Pussjuck gwaan mi fren do your ting.

Sheraig me a go call you lata
NaddyJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaddyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 3:04pm
Hello all, I have been reading post on this forum and have made a post about two times, congrats to all those who have gotten through so far and to others keep the faith our time will soon come. I have one problem I recently change my address , sent an email to CHC to that effect about 2 months ago but has not received a reply from them. What do u think I should do, I would like to know if I should go to there office please advise me.

Thanks
shekool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shekool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 3:24pm
Thanks yeahyeah!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 518519520521522 1919>
  Share Topic