Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Sponsor's name?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColorMePanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about Sponsor's name?
    Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 10:31am
Well my sponsor has always gone by his middle name.

1. Will it be a problem if some documents use his middle and last name?

2. Also, what about signing documents? He has only ever signed things using his middle and last name his whole life.

3. And when I write the story about us, do I have to refer to him by his first name? That would be strange as I have never called him by that. Also, the letters that family and friends have wrote about us only refer to him by his middle name as well.

Edited by ColorMePanda - 13 Apr 2010 at 10:31am
INLAND!
Total time for PR: 10 Months and 16 Days
Saya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 11:01am
I call my bf by the short verison of his name, when it came to filling out the forms I wrote his name as it was writen in his passport. As for the letter I wrote his name how I call him, because it's my letter and that's what I feel comfortable doing. If you like state in your letter that you call him by his middle name. His mom wrote us a letter for us and she goes by her middle name, but she printed her full name underneathe her signature but signed with her middle name because that is her signature and it is how it's signed in her passport....if that helps any.
ColorMePanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColorMePanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 11:16am
Well I guess if I am worried about it, I could just stick a post it note on it saying that we call him that. Even his parents haven't ever called him that. I just hope they will realize all of this when they see we aren't making up the name and will see it on his passport and such listed as his middle name. 
INLAND!
boundary47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boundary47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 11:29am
IIRC, there's no place on the sponsor's forms for aliases, is that correct?

If he has documents using his middle name and not his first name, and those documents will be in your submission, make sure you note it in your application.  You could do this by adding a supplementary note on a separate sheet attached to IM1344A -- Application to Sponsor and Undertaking, or if you put all his documents together in one place, put in a covering note at the beginning of this section.
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed
ColorMePanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColorMePanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 11:41am
Thank you B47.
I was informed by matthewc that it should be alright as long as it is listed on his passport and official ID as well as the IMM1344A as a given name. But to include an explanation if it is an alias name. I will still probably include a note, wherever I find fitting informing them as to why it was signed a certain way or was addressed by his middle name. I hope CIC will be understanding of this.
INLAND!
britincanada View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:18pm
I have put my Husbands full name on all the forms (Timothy) however in my letter to CIC and all other info such as letters from family etc I have called him Tim as this is what I call him on a day to day occurrence 
App received by CPC-M 1/06/10
Sponsorship approved 29/06/10
In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10
ELIGIBLE TO BECOME CITIZEN 4/11/2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic