Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Visit Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Valid Visa on my old passport

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gopirajah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Valid Visa on my old passport
    Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 1:08am
Hi 

Am gopi. I got my Valid Visa stamped on my old passport. Can i enter Canada with my New passport and old passport containing Valid visa. The new passport contains the old passport number which is entered in visa.   
Please clear my doubt as my journey is on June 10th and My visa details are: 

Visitor Visa -V1 (Single Entry)
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 4:08am
Yes you can.
gopirajah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gopirajah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 9:23am
Thanks a lot:)

But i received a mail from Canada High Commision , New Delhi , India as below:

If you have a valid visa for Canada in your old passport, and you have been issued a new passport, you may need to apply to have your visa transferred into your new passport.

If your old passport has not been cancelled by the passport issuing authority, you may continue to use the visa in it, but you will need to carry both your old and new passport when you travel to Canada.

If your old passport has been cancelled (is no longer valid for international travel) then you will need to pay a fee to have your visa for Canada transferred into your new passport.  

Please clarify me, since my date of journey is very near and its not possible for me to reapply. My old passport is cancelled (by passport officers) to delete ECR (Emmigration check required). The passport officers said that there wont be any problem if i carry both old and new passports.  
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 2:24pm
Yes you can.

13.15. Valid visas in expired passports
If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil, the counterfoil can still be used since the expiration of the passport has no effect on the visa's validity. Holders of a valid visa may continue to use their visa until the date it expires even if the visa is in an expired passport.

Edited by ski - 06 Jun 2015 at 2:30pm
vij76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vij76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 10:36am
Hi Gopi,

what happened, did you traveled to Canada with VISA on old passport? was there any issue while entering into Canada?

foreignvisits View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foreignvisits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 3:42am
Yes of-course dear. You can enter Canada on a new passport but don't forget to send your old passport along with your visa application. 
I have also designed a website for providing free and detailed visa information. Do follow me if you are willing to visit Canada as a tourist, student or worker.
http://www.foreignvisits.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic