Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions Please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyStew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions Please
    Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 8:40pm
Please forgive me if this has been posted before but I haven't the time to check the forums for the answers.
I received a Notice to Appear - To Write a Citizenship Test in the mail today....for April 30 in Edmonton.   It states that the test is in the morning and if I pass the test...the ceremony will be in the afternoon.    My question....is the ceremony the same thing as the oath?   Will I be considered a citizen directly after the ceremony.
Another question.....will I be able to apply for a Canadian Passport on that same day?  I assume they will be taking my Permanent Resident Card (they told me to bring it with me).....and I don't suppose I will be able to travel without the card.
Thank you for any responses.
Shan786 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shan786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 8:47pm
Yes, to all your questions.
kal_ottawa View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kal_ottawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 8:48pm
hi,
ceremony and oath are the same thing. You will be a citizen right after. You will have a citizen card instead your PR card. You can not travel with it. I do not know if you can apply for passeport the same day.
You need more advice from other people. Do not trust what I said 100%.
Birs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 9:20pm
Yes you can apply for canadian passport on the same day.You would get a citizenship certificate.For you to travel you need a  Canadian passport which might take 2weeks to get it after you apply depends agian the time frame where you apply from.you need to carry the citizenship card and passport when you travel hope this is clear.

PennyStew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyStew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 9:41pm
Thank you for the all of the answers.  Almost there.  For a timeline....I mailed my application in March 09.
mrstaycation View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrstaycation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 10:28pm
Hi Birs

When you travel you don't need to carry the citizenship card but your Canadian passport.

Originally posted by Birs Birs wrote:

Yes you can apply for canadian passport on the same day.You would get a citizenship certificate.For you to travel you need a  Canadian passport which might take 2weeks to get it after you apply depends agian the time frame where you apply from.you need to carry the citizenship card and passport when you travel hope this is clear.

Donvalley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donvalley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 1:11am
Yes, you will be a citizen afternoon.
Get two passport photographs before going to ceremony. Fill in the application. Go to nearest Canada Post/Passport Canada or Service Canada center, with photographs and fee. You can apply on the same day.
Sent-May 22|E-cas "Rcvd": Nov 16|
In Process: Jan 29 2010
|Transf:Mar 08|
Test:30 Aug Oath: 16 Sep
Beaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 10:05am
Yes as long Pennystew has completely filled up the General Passport application form (the Certificate of Canadian Citizenship number will be known after Pennystew willl get the certificate). There is still the issue of looking for a Guarantor, and two references, so Pennystew you might want to get working on that - way ahead before you take the test and oath. Also take into consideration that the ceremony will finish later in the day, and that it's when many applicants will be queuing for passports.  Hopefully Pennystew can finish the same day.

Originally posted by Donvalley Donvalley wrote:

Yes, you will be a citizen afternoon.
Get two passport photographs before going to ceremony. Fill in the application. Go to nearest Canada Post/Passport Canada or Service Canada center, with photographs and fee. You can apply on the same day.

Edited by Beaver - 08 Apr 2010 at 10:17am
fundyroyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fundyroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by PennyStew PennyStew wrote:

Please forgive me if this has been posted before but I haven't the time to check the forums for the answers.
I received a Notice to Appear - To Write a Citizenship Test in the mail today....for April 30 in Edmonton.   It states that the test is in the morning and if I pass the test...the ceremony will be in the afternoon.    My question....is the ceremony the same thing as the oath?   Will I be considered a citizen directly after the ceremony.
Another question.....will I be able to apply for a Canadian Passport on that same day?  I assume they will be taking my Permanent Resident Card (they told me to bring it with me).....and I don't suppose I will be able to travel without the card.

WOW

I just hope to see all other citizenship offices working fast like this.
You are very lucky PennyStew.
Year 2009: Applied from St.Martins, NB/ Sent Mar 31/ Recd Apr 2/ ACK Rcvd Sep 15 / In Process Oct 26/ transferred Dec 1/ Got RQ Dec 2
Year 2010: Test March 23
Oath : May 19,2010 (12:30 PM)
Beaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 1:54pm
Pennystew could be living far away from Edmonton, CIC usually schedules an applicant to a test and ceremony the same day to save the applicant the travel expenses.

Originally posted by fundyroyal fundyroyal wrote:

Originally posted by PennyStew PennyStew wrote:

WOW

I just hope to see all other citizenship offices working fast like this.
You are very lucky PennyStew.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic