Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Citizenship Eligibility & Bill C24

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swapnac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Citizenship Eligibility & Bill C24
    Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 5:51pm
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and was referred by a very good friend. I have a few questions and would really appreciate if someone could guide me regarding those:

1. As per the residency calculator, I am eligible to apply for citizenship on May 22nd 2015 but my husband has frequent international travels (India, US & Argentina) which make him eligible late in the year (December). I was wondering if it is wise for me to file my citizenship independently?
  2. Secondly, with the impending probability of Bill C24, I am afraid that we will not be eligible to file for citizenship after July, so is it advisable that at least I get my application through?
  3. Third, regarding the Language Requirement, IELTS & CELPIP are the only method where I can get this eligibility fulfilled, am I right? 
Thanks a lot in advance for any help that you guys may provide me.

/Swapna

Edited by swapnac - 05 Jun 2015 at 2:16pm
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 7:23pm
I would recommend for you to apply as early as you can, without waiting for your husband.

Worst case scenario - your husband never qualifies and you decide to move out to Canada, but you have already got your citizenship - he will be able to retain his PR forever while residing with you abroad.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 12:50am

Originally posted by swapnac swapnac wrote:

I am new to this forum and was referred by a very good friend. I have a few questions and would really appreciate if someone could guide me regarding those:

1. As per the residency calculator, I am eligible to apply for citizenship on May 22nd 2015 but my husband has frequent international travels (India, US & Argentina) which make him eligible late in the year (December). I was wondering if it is wise for me to file my citizenship independently?

2. Secondly, with the impending probability of Bill C24, I am afraid that we will not be eligible to file for citizenship after July, so is it advisable that at least I get my application through?

3. Third, regarding the Language Requirement, IELTS & CELPIP are the only method where I can get this eligibility fulfilled, am I right?

While there is no certainty, as yet, as to when the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act (SCCA and previously referred to as Bill C-24 in Parliament) revisions of the qualifications for grant citizenship will take effect, July is as good a guess as any. If you personally do not apply before the SCCA provisions come into force, you will need to meet the four years within six requirement, plus the 183 days in each of four calendar years within the preceding six. That would add another year of actual presence to the requirement.

So you probably do not want to wait.

Thus, while in some contexts separate applications by spouses can lead to a non-routine case (requests for additional documents or RQ), that risk is probably worth taking rather than having to wait until the summer of 2016 to apply or until sometime in 2017 if you wait to apply as a family with your husband (assuming that if he did not travel at all it would be December 2016 before he meets the four year qualificiation, but apparently he will be traveling, so it will not be until 2017). We do not know the current risk of RQ for separate applications, but it seems to be down considerably from what it was, and for many if not most qualified applicants, RQ is manageable, inconvenient, a delay, but manageable.

The alternatives for proof of meeting the Language Requirement are fairly well specified in the Guide for the application, and the CIC website has a wizard for checking to see if your proof is acceptable (follow the "eligibility" links at the pages for citizenship). There are additional options IF applicable (such as proof of completing a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English; completing the LINC or CLIC course), which again are spelled out in the guide. Of course, taking the appropriate test, IELTS or CELPIP, is the fastest way, but if you do not yet have your proof of language, even scheduling to take the test can take some time, and you are running against an unknown deadline (the implementation date for the SCCA (Bill C-24) changes). So you do not want to delay getting that done.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
zarajohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zarajohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 7:37am
hello,

Great deals of internal policy changes must be done before the date of execution.  A considerable lot of the knowledgeable agents likewise say that it will be implemented in the second half of 2015, however when exactly no one knows.

Everybody who presents their application before Canada Day 2015 is destined to be prepared by old guideline.

Thanks

Zarajohn@

EhCanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EhCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 8:12pm
take off eh

its going to get worse in canada for immigrants. so stay away

Edited by ski - 31 May 2015 at 12:34pm
Harrikon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harrikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 4:05am
Originally posted by EhCanada EhCanada wrote:

take off eh

its going to get worse in canada for immigrants. so stay away

Canada has and will always be a nation of immigrants. Your xenophobia will not scare away others.

Canada is already over 30% recent immigrants or their descendents (since the 1970's). So yes, there is no point threatening us now. 

Edited by ski - 31 May 2015 at 12:35pm
EhCanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EhCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 5:26pm
You are wrong harrikon about a nation of immigrants.

Canada has been about one ident. Is this what they tell you so you can feel welcome? I know it is.
Look at all the faces on these immigration publications. They are all dark skinned people from poor countries.

The immigrants that built Canada are all Europeans and Native americans. 

you are another example of the uneducated that come to Canada or try to come to Canada. The gov't has given minorities jobs as promotion for others in their culture to fit in or else they will struggle emotionally and feel left out.

Almost 90% of immigrants the last 10 yrs struggle. They may have a job but they are not part of society. They are not truly Canadian.

And this comes from myself who if born in Canada. Parents born in Canada. Grandparents born in Canada. And great grandparents partially born in Europe who came to Canada to build Canada and not immigrate to Canada to get the free health care and freedom that many new immigrants take advantage.

EhCanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EhCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 5:29pm
Canada has stopped taking immigration from India and China in a large # and that is a good thing. Canada does not fit in what most Asians are used to.

canada needs to stop immigration from all countries cause we do not need them. They are just being used for political gain. 

However if we must. We need to bring Mexicans and Latinos from the South, and try to get the good Europeans. 

Everyone else - nope. Is this racist? Probably. But i am right. Canada is no place for immigrants from many countries. And you think we owe you something correct? You think you know. But you do not. And your ignorance proves it.

swapnac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swapnac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 1:23pm
Hi dpenabill,

Thanks a lot for your assistance. I gave my IELTS (scored 8.5) and applied for citizenship on 1st June Smile but today I heard that Bill C24 is becoming effective from June 19th, hope that does not effect my application. Let me know if you have any insight on this.

Thanks & Regards,
Swapna
swapnac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swapnac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 1:24pm
Thanks Everyone

Edited by swapnac - 05 Jun 2015 at 1:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic