Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Spouse of Int'l Student - What Papers Are Needed?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spouse of Int'l Student - What Papers Are Needed?

 Post Reply Post Reply
crm18 View Drop Down
New Member
New Member

Joined: 24 Feb 2010
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 2
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crm18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spouse of Int'l Student - What Papers Are Needed?
    Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 5:11pm
I am a U.S. citizen who has been accepted to a two-year master's degree program at a university in Ontario. My spouse (also a U.S. citizen) and I both plan to move to Canada together in August.

I have thoroughly read the information pertaining to international students provided on the websites of Citizenship & Immigration Canada and the international student centre at my future university. I understand that the spouses of international students with a valid study permit are entitled to live in Canada with their husbands/wives, and that they are eligible for a Work Permit to be employed in Canada. I also understand that U.S. citizens and their families may apply for their study permits and other related documents at their point of entry into the country. In our case, we will likely drive to Canada via Niagara Falls.
My husband recently began a new job in the United States for a tourism company which requires frequent travel within North America. He will work for shifts of 3 to 4 weeks, and then will have about 3 weeks of paid "free time" between shifts. His employer permits him to live anywhere in North America and will fly him to/from his job. He intends to continue working for this company while I pursue graduate studies in Canada. His current contract will expire at the end of 2010. At that time, it is possible he will renew his employment, or he may decide to seek a different job in Ontario.
Having reviewed the available information online, we are unsure how Canadian immigration law will apply to his specific situation. Essentially, he intends to live in Canada with me but will (for the time being) continue working in the United States.

What permit will he need? And what documentation will he need to show immigration authorities? Is it still advisable that we apply for our papers this summer when we enter Canada?
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

This page was generated in 0.125 seconds.