Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Judge hearing and events after that

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Judge hearing and events after that
    Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 12:03pm
I became a PR in 2006 and lived in Mississauga and Milton area till 2010. After that I had to move to NY\NJ area due to a job related issue. I applied for Citizenship just before I moved after completing more than enough residency days above the 1095 days. I got my test date on March 2011 and RQ within a month. Sent in all documentation by Oct 2011 and then the wait began. Finally I was asked to send a few more details pertaining to my residency on July 2014 and finally in Feb 2015, I got a notice for a judge hearing. I read as much as I can about the hearing, gathered all my documentation including tax statements etc. and headed out. But what happened during the hearing was both shocking and disappointing.

My wife went in first and after an hour and half later, I went in. The judge was a woman named Nancy Siew (who I later found out that is a relatively new comer, appointed sometime in late part of 2014). The conversation started quite normally with she asking simple details like where you are from etc. and making brief comments about her interview with my wife.

Then the real process started. First of all she started off with an implication - from both her body language and her verbal statements - that "you are lying, I know". She asked me why I didnt have any exit or entry stamps on my passport for my trips outside of Canada !!! I was not sure if she asked because she honestly dont know or was she faking it. I responded by saying that when you go outside of Canada - btw my trips were all to US and they were all done by driving - you never touch a Canadian border post. You drive straight to the US side and if you have a US Visa and a valid I-94, no stamps are placed on your passport. And on your way back, you simple come to the Canadian border, present your PR card and they swipe it, ask a few questions and let you in. They never look at your passport unless there is a very pressing and valid need for it. She seems to have trouble believing that !!! Then she went through my tax documentations, my pay stubs etc. and then asked me to describe my absence from Canada in terms of dates. I had them all listed out in a piece of paper and I read it out for her. After noting them all down, she said "I have records to show that you have more absence than you have declared". I said, "show me the dates and I can explain them all to you". And she had a sheet of paper with dates and some other numbers\strings against those dates. I could see that they were entry dates for my PR card. She said you have these many dates of coming in but you haven't declared them. By looking at them I was positive that those were all one day trips I made across the border for various reasons including shopping trips. So I told her the same and also explained the pattern - one trip every month at least once during the first two weeks of every month - and their reasons (I had a low interest loan in US which I took towards downpayment of my home in Canada and I cross over every month to make deposits to my US account. Since I was a bank employee for a US Bank with operations in Canada, I had access to employee specific loan products with rates at prime I made use of it for buying my house in Canada). I also told her that the residency calculator explicitly states that same day trips like those need not be declared. She is not happy with that and I could see that she was desperately trying to poke holes in it often with erroneous results. For example she pointed out that the day I declared as a three day trip, there is no entry stamp  in her records. I pointed out to her that there is actually a record for that date but at the bottom of the sheet. She quickly moved onto the next one without acknowledging her mistake. Then there was another instance where she said that how do I know\believe that all those exit dates you declared are all the correct ones without any documented evidence? She picked one and said how do I know that you left on this date? Fortunately for me, I did have that date stamped on by US Border service on my passport and pointed out. She initially tried to play it down by saying I don't know, its a US stamp, its not Canadian etc. (seriously???) and then finally agreed that she would make a note of it in her notes !!! There were so many other mistakes she been making and she was cherry picking on the dates (like she picks one entry date and then claim that I actually left way before than the number of days I declared in my form), and ignoring every legal documentation - like my payslips, my tax records - and refusing to see the other - like my utility bills and receipts - saying that you can fake them. It was quite evident that she was trying to make a case for refusal but because of the evidence she was not able to. All the while she was claiming that she was trying to be fair !!! She then said its time for my lunch but I would stay to work on your case (which I do appreciate, but is it such a big deal if its her job to do a hearing?). Finally she said that she is not convinced that I was in the country for the said period and she needs a letter from my company stating my employment period in that building in Toronto and also vouching for my job related absences. I immediately pointed it to her that while the company can provide a letter vouching for my employment in the building, its not possible for them to vouch for my business trips because they are conduced under business managers discretion and is not handled by the HR. She said, whatever you can provide should be done and within 10 days. And as I was going out, she asked if you are a US Citizen, why do you wanna apply for Canadian citizenship to which I said, I have family and friends in and around Mississauga and I want to settle down there because that I way I can be closer to them. I immediately called the HR and explained the situation and like I expected, they said while they can get me the letter for my employment location, they can't write anything about my trips. So I immediately picked up the letter from my office and dropped it off at the CIC office in Mississauga.

Finally, today I got a call from this judge and she said I got the letter but it doesn't have the dates of your absence due to business trips. And then went on to say this is not enough, am trying to be fair etc. etc. I told her, I gave all that can be humanely possible and you are putting undue burden on me by cherry picking on them. If you approach a case with a closed mindset that the other person is lying under oath then no matter how much evidence I bring together, you can always say no to it. Honestly I was getting tired of being implied a liar and I just couldn't hold back. This seem to have ticked her off and she started on a tirade of "i sacrificed my lunch hour for you, i feel insulted, etc. etc.". I calmly said to her that I didn't insult her, but conveying to her that this is how she made both of us feel during the interview and we have complied in every way possible from our side to her demands. If you have a broken system thats not properly documenting people travelling between borders, you can't then hold that against somebody and claim that the other person is not telling the truth. She finally said she needs an explanation for the business trips not mentioned in the letter. I said, I will send her that letter and hung up. I typed up the same explanation and signed it and overnighted to the Mississauga office. 

I am at this point pretty sure that she is gonna deny my citizenship application. I  have read that you can go for a judicial review and its something better done through a lawyer. Anyone can recommend a good lawyer who can handle my case? Also, any other suggestion in this matter would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 12:22pm
Make sure any other interactions with this judge are happening in presence of your lawyer, and ideally lawyer gets involved before you get denied.

Otherwise yes she will deny you will go to court and the court will believe the judge.

It is a pathetic and unfair process unfortunately.
sarin_j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 12:36pm
I wish I lied about my absences from Canada as I could have easily withheld all those exits from Canada and still they won't be able to find out. I think its because I declared all of them that they got suspicious that I might be hiding more than am declaring. Her attitude was also shocking as she simply didn't want to see any other documentation that I brought. If you start saying that am faking utility bills and credit card statements and bank statements and tax payments (property etc.), then what evidence can you really bring to the table ????!!! 

Would there be more interactions with the judge? I think she pretty much seem to have made up her mind. And from what you said seems like court would always prefer the judge's statement over our claims?
Canadiandesi2006 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canadiandesi2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 3:24pm

I'm sorry to hear the treatment you got from CIC judge. Besides taking an attorney with you for your next hearing.

You may consider filing a complaint with appropriate authorities how your hearing was conducted.

1) Hearing started with Judge accusing "You are lying"
2) Judge expected US stamp on every visit to USA, its US procedure & you can't do much
3) Daily visit to USA are NOT stamped in the passport (per CIC, its NOT required)
4) Despite presenting all proofs such as utility, employer etc, judge did not want to review them
5) Asked you to produce letter from employer for even single day trip to USA, its impractical.
6) Apparently, judge made up her mind even before reviewing doc's to deny you Citizenship.
7) Request - if possible hearing with other judge, considering it was NOT fair by any standards.

Looks like CIC and all their staff from Call Center to top bureaucrats are abusing the system.

Canadiandesi2006
sarin_j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 4:04pm
Thanks for the reply Canadiandesi2006. The judge didn't explicitly accuse me of lying. She implied it at every possible opportunity. Examples are like this.

1. At the part where she started with my entry stamps, she was like "we know about your trips, there were absences that you didn't declare" and there was a cheeky smile on her face. It was like "we know that you made trips and didnt declare it". It was not a question or inquiry but plain outright statement.
2. When I said, I can show proof of our stay by presenting proof like receipts, utility bill payments, she refused to see them and said "you can get them without staying in this country and I dont have time to go through them". That effectively translates into "you could have obtained without ever staying in this country".

She also didn't ask me to provide letter from employer showing every trip outside USA, but rather business trips. Though it might sound justifiable, the issue here is that since I got the job in Canada through an in-house transfer, my manager and the entire support group are from NYC. They simply allowed me to work from a Canadian office and recruit people I need to run the global support infrastructure. Effectively, I brought jobs into Canada though it was only for two years. So under this process there is zero HR involvement and every trip is paid for and managed by my manager. HR can't vouch for an event\trip organized by a specific group's manager. This is what I explained to her and despite she seem to be nodding to it, she repeated the same question today. If she understood, why keep asking? 

And it does seem like she made up her mind even before seeing us. How can I request another hearing with another judge? This hearing was NOT AT ALL fair and she seem to be more concerned about her lunch break than doing an investigation into my facts. Especially when such decisions can affect one's life in a significant way.

Its unbelievable that a citizenship judge is completely ignorant about border crossings and formalities involved with it. Its also unbelievable that she is manipulating the data to suit her argument. Example is like this.

She presented the entry stamps but they don't contain many trips that I made and declared. So its obvious that she don't have entry stamps for all my trips. But then when I point out this, she is refusing to acknowledge them instead choosing to pick dates from them to project a view that I was absent for more than declared number of days.

She apparently displayed an attitude that whatever evidence I provided could all be fake. She kept saying the burden of proof is on me, but if their system is broken and you are putting undue burden on someone to get practically impossible details, its a clear indication of bias. 

I don't know if there is going to be another hearing, but if it happens I sure will take a lawyer with me. Secondly, if anyone know how to request another hearing with a different judge, how do I move forward with that?

Edited by sarin_j - 17 Mar 2015 at 4:05pm
ottawa321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottawa321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 4:04am
Complaint against Judge does not work. I made a complaint to the senior judge but he took Citizenship judge side. Then I made a complaint against sernior judge. they assinged a private investigator to hear both me and senior judge but again after finding my complaint correct dicision was given in favor of the senior judge. I even had a recording of entire discussion (80|minutes) with the citizenhip judge who use very bad language, spoke about my religion, about my country of birth etc... but they did not bother to get the recording from me and avoiding it all the time. So I believe complaint against judge would not work even there is a Protocol Addressing conduct issue policy which dealt with such complaints
Harrikon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harrikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 4:42am
Now this might sound weak, but if I were you, I would just reapply for citizenship. I know it is unfair and all, but this might be your only way out!

And you will get an RQ, but you will get processed much faster. Just make sure you hire a lawyer to fill out RQ/represent you in court. A lot of these lawyers say they won;t guarantee anything, but I have found in my experience, they too judge each case based on its own merits.
Applied: June 2012
Processing: December 2012
RQ and Test: December 2013
(Reason for RQ: unknown)
Oath: May 2015
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 6:56pm

Originally posted by sarin_j sarin_j wrote:

I became a PR in 2006 and lived in Mississauga and Milton area till 2010. After that I had to move to NY\NJ area due to a job related issue. I applied for Citizenship just before I moved after completing more than enough residency days above the 1095 days. I got my test date on March 2011 and RQ within a month. Sent in all documentation by Oct 2011 and then the wait began. Finally I was asked to send a few more details pertaining to my residency on July 2014 and finally in Feb 2015, I got a notice for a judge hearing. I read as much as I can about the hearing, gathered all my documentation including tax statements etc. and headed out. But what happened during the hearing was both shocking and disappointing.

I am at this point pretty sure that she is gonna deny my citizenship application. I have read that you can go for a judicial review and its something better done through a lawyer. Anyone can recommend a good lawyer who can handle my case? Also, any other suggestion in this matter would be very helpful.

A lot could be said.

Much of it, though, I have said before. Such as, for example, in the topic "Leaving Canada after applying for citizenship", including in particular my recent discussion about the Helen Wang case there, in the topic Leaving Canada after applying.

For now, the cake is in the oven. Nothing will change the outcome; the CJ's decision now will be what it is. And while the outcome seems quite apparent, and not good, these things are very difficult to predict and you will not really know until you know, until you get notification of the denial or you are scheduled for the oath.

In the meantime, sure, the decision is whether or not to pursue an appeal, and if inclined to do so, to find the right lawyer for the job. And if you are at all inclined to go this direction, getting to it sooner rather than later is a good idea.

Must say, however, you should have recognized what you were up against. I do not know what you were reading, but I and some others have posted plenty in this forum that would have been a heads-up to anyone living outside Canada while the application was pending. Most of that is history now. Like going to the hearing accompanied by a lawyer, should-have-but-did-not.

Not sure you were paying attention, but since last August 1st, any CJ hearing was almost certainly a case in which CIC opposed the grant of citizenship and had submitted a memorandum of points and authorities (prepared using the FPAT) for why citizenship should be denied. I realize some here dismissed my oft repeated observations and cautions about this (but frankly their lack of credibility should have been obvious).

You have some time to figure out what to do. As noted, you might be surprised. The CJ might approve your application. Seems like not, but until you get the notice that your application has been denied you do not know for sure.

One note about the particulars: you are right, the "no stamps" refecting this or that trip is baloney. But if you were reading even a selection of the Federal Court cases I have cited repeatedly in this forum, you would see this baloney is on the menu rather often (the menu of excuses or justifications to discount an applicant's declared travel), and in particular the so-called "missing stamp" issue has been oft discussed, as it is indeed an oft recurring one. CIC often likes to hang, on missing stamps, a conclusion that the evidence is "inconclusive." Dealing with those would have been fairly easy for a lawyer.

Missing stamps really are not an issue except in particular situations, particular circumstances, and not usually at all an issue unless CIC focuses on them in the course of digging for reasons to challenge the application (which CIC will tend to do if the applicant is living abroad while the application is pending). Like scores and scores of successful applicants, I had dozens of trips, and not one stamp for any one them after the cancelled PR visa stamps for the day I landed, none at all. And no problems. But what CIC is essentially doing when it focuses on missing stamps is challenging the applicant to prove the declared trips . . . it is not so much that the absence of a stamp for this or that trip is evidence that the trip did not take place, but CIC, and in turn the CJ, has in essence pointed out that "no stamp, no supporting evidence of that trip, thus the burden is on the applicant to prove the trip - technically to prove the dates of presence by proving the dates of travel."

Thus, just explaining that it is common, if not the norm, for there to be no stamp for trips to and from the U.S., does not suffice. That does not put evidence into the record which supports your account of the trips.

And I understand fully that applicants in your situation are given virtually no warning that CIC and the CJ might take this tack in assessing residency . . . well, except there is plenty of discussion at this site which addresses this (sometimes lost due to the noise, sure, particularly among those who are more interested in complaining and not receptive to learning about how the process works and what applicants in a contested case need to know about how to navigate their way through CIC's minefields).

There have been a couple Federal Court cases of late which indicate there may be at least two Federal Court justices sympathetic to the lack of notice applicants are given regarding what they need to prove. I am suffering a monster head cold at the moment so my memory is fuzzy and my time on the key board is limited, but I will try to find those decisions. They probably will not offer any direct support for your case, but they do offer a glimmer of hope that a Federal Court justice could be receptive to an argument that the burden of proof imposed by the CJ unreasonably exceeded the balance of probabilities standard (the standard that should be applied). This is complex stuff, though, and there are probably a lot of lawyers not particularly well equipped to make the argument. And it is a tough argument to make persuasively even by the better lawyers (if I can find the two decisions I am thinking of, you might consider looking into the lawyers who represented the applicants in those cases).

And, unfortunately, there are some Federal Court justices who will simply not be sympathetic to your cause because you have been living outside Canada. (For example, see Justice Rennie's decison in the Helen Wang case; noting though, that Justice Rennie has moved up to the Federal Court of Appeals of Canada . . . more about this below.)   

A note about your CJ: I do not know her, but there is no doubt that if she was a "recent" appointment, you know who did the appointing and what some key criteria were for getting the gig. At the Federal Court level, for example, it was no coincidence that it was a Harper appointment to the Federal Court (Justice Rennie) who, despite three decades of case law to the contrary, soon after taking the bench issued a decision that "residency means presence" (back in 2011), and he is the one who recently ruled there is no "jus soli" right to citizenship in Canada either (citizenship by birth in Canada is, rather, a statutory based status). Many of the current CJs have been appointed since the Conservatives first formed a government. No need to guess their inclinations in how they approach citizenship residency cases.

This government avoids being transparent (like the plague), but some aspects of its governing are totally transparent . . . and who gets appointed to positions like this is no mystery.

Former Federal Court Justice Donald Rennie, for example, was recently appointed to the Federal Court of Appeals of Canada. A big promotion. Quid pro quo? for his decision in the Galati challenge to Bill C-24?

That might be good news. I think Justice Snider retired (or left the Federal Court for some other reason) over a year ago, and now Justice Rennie will not get the appeal from a CJ's decision as he has moved up to the Court of Appeals. These two have been the toughest on citizenship applicants. There are a number of others who have been following and applying the decisions by Justices Rennie and Snider, but in any event there are two less before whom the odds of succeeding on appeal were dismal.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
sarin_j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 2:02pm
Thanks dpenabill. I have always followed your posts with great interest and if you go back a bit you will notice that you have provided advise on my case before as well. The matter here is that after 2013, I kinda lost hope and figured that most likely I will never get the citizenship and stopped following all news about Canadian immigration. I also started winding down my affairs in Canada - like starting the process to close down my consulting business and selling my properties etc. Even when I was asked to provide more details about my residency in Aug 2014, I thought its just another ploy to wear you down. So after sending the required documentation, I didnt look at it until I got the notice about the hearing. And at that time I did return to this forum and started going through as much info as possible but at the same time got busy with digging all my documentation from the archives. So overall I didn't get much time to thoroughly think this through and in retrospect I think I did a big mistake in not taking a lawyer with me. I was also very confident that I have enough documentation to prove my residency and didn't think of the possibility that the judge might actually be trying to deny my request rather than trying to approve upon verification. In other words, I thought the system was honest about its intentions. I didn't think of the political implications you referred to above and since I stopped following Canadian immigration news since 2013, I failed to see the recent developments. 

After reading your post in its entirety, I can understand the overall approach of the CJ to find an excuse to deny my application. However, I am still shocked by the approach they are using. They say that the burden of proof is upon you but then proceeds to 1)bring up aspects which are factually incorrect (the mistakes she did in following her own data) 2)use data which they have free and instant access to but for us its either blocked or provided after considerable delay 3) not transparent on what aspects are gonna be challenged so that we can come prepared with relevant documentation some of which would require us to go through two different border agencies of two different countries and most important of all 4) use judges who are not competent in various complex aspects of international border crossing.

I think I was ill prepared and trusted the system too much. I believed that if you are honest and forthcoming things would be easy. I been proven wrong. I do understand that the majority of the blame is on me for not being prepared but am also thinking if you were going to a judge who is 99% convinced that you are faking the data, I am not sure if my data would have made any difference. Remember how she brushed off my pointing of the stamp in the passport by CBP? When she realized that she made a mistake at first she tried to dispute that it was not a Canadian stamp and hence can't be considered relevant and then tried to brush if off as not so important. That alone would have raised the quality of the data she had in her files. But she wanted to sweep it under the rug and move on. 

I am now frantically trying to gather my entry exit records from both US and Canadian side to support my case. It might be too late, but at least am gonna do whatever I can to fight this injustice. If I fail, at least this would serve as a lesson to those who are in similar situation so that they can learn from my mistakes. 
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 8:06pm

The caselaw I was thinking of, which might be of some support, were two recent decisions by the same judge, Justice Locke, which is not good news because that means there is only one justice rather than two who has overtly ruled against CIC and a CJ based on concerns about the nature of the process itself, about procedural fairness. One of these cases is the Miji case (link is to French decision), and the other is the El-Husseini case (also in French) in which Justice Locke allows the applicants' appeal on the grounds that the applicants were, respectively (and in different ways) denied procedural fairness.

While these cases might not be that close factually to the situation you had, a big part of why Justice Locke granted these appeals is the lack of notice to the applicants what was missing, what would have made a difference. And that is at least in part what I see underlying your interaction with the Citizenship Judge.

What will ultimately matter, of course, is the CJ's actual decision and the reasons given by the CJ for that decision. And frankly, given your residence abroad since applying, many if not most Federal Court justices are not likely to be sympathetic. It could be a tough case make to a sympathetic judge let alone one who is not sympathetic.

The solicitors (lawyers) for the applicants in the above cases, the cases resulting in Justice Locke's decisions about procedural fairness, were Quebec lawyers, not from Toronto, one from Montreal, the other essentially Ottawa (Gatineau). My sense is they did a good job respectively. You can also find Toronto area lawyers by looking at other citizenship cases.

Quote I am now frantically trying to gather my entry exit records from both US and Canadian side to support my case. It might be too late, but . . .

Yeah, it is mostly too late. You will not be allowed to introduce any new evidence (at least not that will be considered by the Federal Court) in the appeal. But, a savvy lawyer might be able to use such evidence to illustrate what you could have brought to the hearing if you had been given notice that the dates you reported exiting or entering Canada were themselves disputed.

Potential arguments in the appeal:

This goes beyond what I know about how the issues might be raised and considered on appeal. But, in most other bureaucratic decision-making processes, procedural fairness requires applicants to be given reasonable notice if particular evidence or asserted facts are disputed. And, frankly, I have long failed to understand why this issue has not been more vigorously advocated in citizenship cases. There are many cases in which the Federal Court simply says, as CIC has argued, that the applicant has the burden of proof and if there are questions about actual dates of residency the applicant has failed to meet his or her burden of proof. But what has happened in some of these cases is that the applicant has submitted extensive evidence, including the applicant's own testimonial evidence of dates present in Canada, and has not been given notice that CIC is challenging that evidence. CIC challenges the overall conclusion, but it seems to me that if that conclusion is inconsistent with the evidence of record, there should be more than mere bald-faced skepticism to support it, there should be some actual evidence contrary to the evidence submitted by the applicant . . . and if there is, that procedural fairness should require that the applicant be given notice of such negative evidence, sufficient notice to give the applicant a reasonable opportunity to respond to it.

I am not a Canadian lawyer and I do not know how such an argument should be presented in particular, but the concept, it seems to me, is similar to when a visa officer reviewing a skilled worker PR application makes a negative decision based on rejecting the applicant's evidence of having been employed in a certain position by a certain employer . . . the applicant must be given a chance to respond to the negative evidence CIC is relying on in rejecting the applicant's evidence of that employment.

This goes to the balance-of-probabilities standard of proof the applicant must meet. The submission of competent evidence (and an applicant's testimonial evidence should be considered competent unless there is specific reason to doubt its credibility), on a matter of fact, should suffice to meet the balance-of-probabilities standard of proof as to that fact unless there is evidence to the contrary. If there is evidence to the contrary, my understanding in almost all other contexts (except citizenship cases) is that procedural fairness requires that the applicant be given notice of the contrary evidence or a copy even. I have seen not seen this argument made in citizenship cases, let alone made successfully, but I really do not understand why.

There have been other versions of the procedural fairness argument, such as was raised successfully in the two Locke decisions I reference above.

Whaaat haaappened? or the big crash of expectations

I understand the more emotive elements in your reaction to what happened in the hearing.

But there are at least two big aspects which separate your case from even most residency cases, let alone routine cases . . . which is to say, a lot of what you say was diametrically the opposite of what you expected, which largely comes down you being surprised by the extent to which you feel your case was approached negatively rather than objectively, is about your case in particular. Not that your case in particular is unique, the only case approached this way, or even all that unusual let alone rare.

To a large extent I addressed this in my previous post.

Those two aspects of your case in particular are:

(1) residing outside Canada after applying

(2) being scheduled for a CJ hearing after August 1, 2014    

There is more to it than just that of course, but those are the two aspects of your case in particular which distinguish your case from even the majority of citizenship applications involving RQ, let alone from the vast majority of citizenship applicants generally (the largely routine applications).

Number (1), residing outside Canada after applying, is what turned up the heat considerably, leading CIC to scrutinize and question your case in much detail, looking not to verify your assertions but for evidence that would support a finding that you had failed to prove your case, especially residency.

Number (2), being scheduled for a CJ hearing after August 1, 2014, is about the nature of the proceeding itself. It is not absolutely certain, but almost so, that after August 1, 2014, going to a CJ hearing is akin to going into a adversarial trial (it is a quasi-judicial proceeding) in which CIC is the opposing party and in which the opposing party (CIC) has already made a full submission of its case against you, the applicant.

I repeated this observation with some emphasis more for anyone else who might happen to still be using this site for information and is in a situation which might lead to a CJ hearing (acknowleging that use of this forum is way, way down). Applicants who have long been in a post-test RQ phase should be aware of the prospect of a CJ hearing and what that means. What it means is that they are, in essence, going into an adversarial quasi-judicial proceeding in which the adversarial party has already put together and submitted an extensive, thorough, and probably negative account of the case, and that the CJ has read this before the hearing even starts.

Your expectations were largely reasonable but only up to the point your case became destined for a CJ hearing.

Caveat re cost of appeal:

There are costs inherent to litigation above and beyond the lawyer's fees; and litigation is more emotionally challenging, more stressful, than most people realize. And, make no mistake, this is probably not a case that stands any chance without a lawyer, and a lawyer is going to cost thousands.

Additionally, there appears to be an increasing risk that the Federal Court could charge the applicant who loses with paying the Minister's costs. That is, there is a risk that the applicant could have to pay for the Minister's legal costs in addition to the costs of prosecuting the appeal itself (the applicant's own lawyer's fees for example).

Additionally, there are changes in the appeal procedures adopted in Bill C-24 with which I am not much familiar, but these may affect the manner and availability of judicial review now (I have not looked closely at this aspect of the coming into force provisions governing the implementation of the SCCA, that is the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act often referred to as Bill C-24).

Hopefully you kept an exact copy of everything you submitted to CIC so that a lawyer can make a reasoned, informed assessment of the case without having to do a lot of work (expensive work) just to evaluate whether or not it is worth pursuing the appeal.

Make a customized ATIP application very soon:

Make a customized ATIP application very soon! Specifically request a copy of everything CIC presented or submitted to the Citizenship Judge. You will not get all that. There are recent references in Federal Court cases to the FPAT (File Preparation Analysis Template) being a protected document. I do not know if this means the applicant is totally denied access to it, or that the access is restricted in a way that keeps it sealed from the public. But my sense is the former.

In contrast though, here too in almost all other proceedings, the applicant is entitled to a copy of everything the decision-maker considered, or to at least sufficient information about what was submitted to the decision-maker to give the applicant an opportunity to respond to its content.

Here too I am confused why this has not alredy become a battle-ground addressed by lawyers in citizenship cases.

But in any event, the sooner you make this ATIP request the better. You might want a lawyer's help in making it, but you do not want to delay making it.

This is either free or has a minimal cost (depending on the scope of what is specifically requested).

You will not get the response in time to help you decide whether or not to appeal (time to appeal is one of the things which definitely changed last August, and I think you will now only have 30 days from the date of the notice of a negative decision to make the appeal -- of course, it still remains possible this will not be a negative decision), but it should be in time to help you decide how much to invest in pursuing the appeal (you can always withdraw an appeal if the prospects are too dismal and the costs of proceeding are prohibitive), and it may be very helpful in setting up arguments to be made in the appeal itself -- although I do not know the procedure that well, and I do not know the extent to which the arguments must be made a part of the notice or filing of the appeal, or application for leave to appeal.

The case I would like to see made in the Federal Court is that when CIC submits negative evidence to the CJ, the applicant should be given notice of that negative evidence. I do not know how this would go, but to my view that is what a fair procedure requires. In almost any judicial or quasi-judicial process, a party is entitled to a reasonable opportunity to respond to the other side's evidence. I do not know if your case has underlying facts which would make this kind of case feasible or not, but it seems to be in the ballpark.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic