Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Judge hearing and events after that

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 3:41am
sarin_j:

It appears your lawyer did not follow through. Not good. Though as it appears to be turning out OK (at least to the extent that your application will be re-determined), no serious damage done.

I think I have previously indicated (without revisiting earlier posts) that the case should now go to a Citizenship Officer who can decide to grant citizenship or to refer the application to another Citizenship Judge. How the latter works in practice I do not know, since this is a relatively new process (technically in place since August 2014, but in practice not employed enough for results to be reported in the forums or in any Federal Court decisions).

The procedural confusion and your lawyer's lack of engagement is disconcerting (unless you have not paid the lawyer). But again it appears this has been resolved.

While it is rare to see personal reports of the consent procedure, at the least your report illuminates it better (not sure who follows this stuff so closely beyond you, whose application it is, and me, with my obsession for citizenship application process and law).

In the meantime, the newly elected Liberals have promised to remove the "intent to reside" in Canada requirement from the new law. This does not directly affect you, but it may signal a general shift in how CIC (actually it is called Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship now) approaches cases involving applicants with extended absences after applying or who otherwise continue to have significant residential or employment ties abroad. That is, you can hope the responsible citizenship officer takes a more flexible if not lenient approach to assessing the facts in your case, whereas under the Conservative leadership there was a clear push to approach these cases with an almost draconian skepticism.

Obviously, given the stumbling you have already encountered, you need to keep abreast of what is happening and make sure the process follows what is indicated.

While, again, I am not sure anyone else is following these procedures in the detail I do, your reports do help enhance my understanding of the process. Good to know, for example, that the "discontinuance" was not the appropriate procedure, but that a specific consent to grant of review is essentially necessary for the application to be returned to CIC for re-determination.

Good luck and please do continue to keep the forum informed.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
sarin_j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 12:02am
dpenabill,

Looks like you are right about the lawyer. He didn't follow through properly and had I not contacted the Justice department, my case would have simply closed out without ever getting anywhere. This is despite the fact that I did pay him in full and though he offered at one point to reimburse the money I spent in overnighting some documents to him, I decided to handle the cost myself. 

There have been couple of updates on my situation. The first one is that on Dec 7th, I received a note from the CIC office in scarborough asking me to submit some additional evidence. In my rejection letter, the judge made a reference to my attempt to obtain my travel records from the DHS. In 2011, the process to obtain such details was through submitting form G-639 to the records dept. and it was done either via fax or mail. There was no electronic system at that time. So in my RQ records, I did submit the copy of the filled form that I submitted, but since it went through regular mail there was no receipt or anything to indicate it actually was sent by me or received by DHS. I never got a response from DHS and I did indicate that which the judge quoted and said as one of the reasons to reject my case. This new note from CIC was asking me to furnish proof that I did submit this request and wanted any response if I ever got one. Seemed to me like they were playing new tricks to drag this along further. However the timing of this letter seemed a little off to me because I provided the justice department with my signed documents only in Dec 1st. So I immediately contacted the justice department who were equally surprised and promised me that they would look into it immediately. Same day evening I received an email to that effect. Within two days time, I got another email from the justice dept. stating that it was premature and CIC was jumping their guns. They told me to ignore this communication and wait for further updated instructions from CIC. They also said that my case file has been updated to reflect this new details.

The second update is that I received today another notice for hearing before judge. Scheduled for 12th Jan 2016. So now am actively prepping for that interview. I am thinking of taking a lawyer with me. I would like to know what advantage this lawyer can provide compared to me and my wife facing the judge alone? What can they do which we can't? Can the interject if the judge start taking a track that can be deemed biased or discriminatory? It happened with the first judge. Please provide some insights.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 1:42am

Upfront: I am probably biased. My bias is that being represented by a qualified, experienced lawyer, is almost always an advantage in most adjudicatory or quasi-adjudicatory situations.

There are caveats to this.

Since I have minimal experience with Canadian lawyers perhaps that bias is not well-founded regarding the quality of legal representation in Canada. I suspect the criticisms about Canadian immigration lawyers, such as those typically seen in the forums, are not well-founded. But I do not really know. What little exposure I have had here has indeed been, at best, mixed. But this is a relatively small city a long way from any major city, and even in the States one would often see a rather different brand of jurisprudence outside metropolitan areas, so I do not extrapolate any generalizations about Canadian law based on what I have seen here. But I do not really know what to expect from Canadian lawyers.

Another caveat is that of course not all lawyers are created equal. And sometimes a bad lawyer can indeed be worse than having no lawyer at all. To find a good lawyer at this late date, over the holidays, on such short notice, that might not be practical if even possible.

A third caveat is that a lawyer cannot change the core facts or merits of a case. It is not as if hiring a lawyer guarantees a particular outcome.

A lawyer's first level of service is to ensure his or her client's rights are protected -- most people expect authorities to honor and respect and not violate their rights, that is that those whose rights are abused probably deserve it or at least that is what happens to someone else . . . until it happens to them. Thus, in the context of a citizenship application hearing, for example, a lawyer's foremost role is to assure the applicant has an opportunity to present his or her side of the case, that the Citizenship Judge does not engage in discriminatory or abusive inquiries, and in particular that the applicant have an opportunity to address the issues. My impression is that just having a lawyer present influences CJs to be more discreet and judicious in how they conduct the hearing.

Another role a lawyer has in this context has to do with issue-identification and assisting the applicant to prepare and submit information and evidence regarding the issues that really matter.

My bias is that lawyers can do both these things for clients well beyond what the client can do for himself or herself. (Even if the client is a lawyer!)

Issue-identification, in particular, is a hugely important skill. Perhaps many lawyers are only mediocre relative to this skill. But non-lawyers, even the most well-informed and intelligent ones, tend to either be quite lacking in this or are rather bad at it, tending to identify, and harp on even, the wrong issues, not only matters of little or no importance but oft times things which actually become a distraction if not an outright detraction.

The thing about quasi-adjudicatory proceedings is that ordinarily they are less formal and deliberately structured to facilitate a more or less open interaction aimed at accomplishing an equitable outcome, based more on what is deserved and less on technical requirements or formalities. This typically tends to weigh favourably for applicants. And it makes the process far more accessible to non-lawyers, to those who go into the proceeding without a lawyer. Historically most CJ hearings tended to be like this, I think, more an interview than a hearing (and many references to these hearings indeed have referred to them as an "interview"). Historically many if not most applicants did not need a lawyer, but needed to put their best face on and show the CJ they are honest, sincere, qualified applicants who deserve citizenship. A lawyer's presence, introducing a degree of formality to the proceedings, might disrupt this sort of proceeding.

But these days CJ hearings are more adversarial, CIC's advocacy present in the form of the referral prepared using the File Preparation and Analysis Template, and cases which go to a CJ these days are almost always cases which CIC is indeed presenting, in the referral, an advocate's argument as to why citizenship should be denied.

So these days, my sense is that the particular expertise of lawyers who do litigation (most do not), and who have experience in citizenship application cases, should be quite helpful, the lawyer in a position to offer important services.

There are many other more subtle elements the good lawyer brings to the table. Experience in dealing with decision-makers is a big one. Knowing when to push and when not to push, how hard to push, when to concede, what to concede, what to absolutely not concede, all play into how lawyers deal with decision-makers (from juries to judges, to administrative decision-makers in quasi-judicial roles like a Citizenship Judge). And of course, again, lawyers are not all equal in such skills, but they are typically better at this than non-lawyers.

Among other significant aspects, as well, is that if things are not going well in the hearing, if there is clear disagreement and an unfavourable inclination tipping the CJ toward a negative decision, is that an experienced lawyer has better odds of patching up the differences, or can draw the CJ's ire to himself or herself in a way that leaves open a way for the CJ to think more favourably of the applicant . . . even to the point where the lawyer can be the one who is disagreeing in a manner that makes a strong point with making it look like the client, the applicant, is disagreeing with the CJ, so the applicant looks more qualified or at least less guilty . . . and when things are leaning toward real ugly, a lawyer will typically do a better job making sure the record reflects important elements which will help win an appeal. And then, ultimately, the lawyer is a more or less objective observer of the hearing and can illuminate, if necessary, whether there was bias, discrimination, or an abuse of discretion involved.

Time is short, however, and since you have been through this once, you are far more informed about how these go and should have an idea about how to be better prepared to advocate your case this time.

And ultimately, whether to pay the cost of a lawyer, and do that extra work (to find a good lawyer, and then to inform the lawyer well enough he or she can competently handle the case), is worth it, that is a very individual, personal judgment call. Who is available makes a difference. Financial resources make a difference.

Will be interested to see how this goes, so please keep the forum informed.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 1:52am
Mangled some of the language above. Too complicated to edit.

Particularly as to the capacity of a lawyer to draw negativity toward himself or herself . . . it is kind of like bad cop / good cop, the lawyer trying to keep the CJ thinking of the applicant as the good guy even though the lawyer is arguing against the CJ. This skill is akin to walking a tightrope in swirling, unpredictable winds. It is not easy to argue with someone and at the same time push them to be more favourable.

sarin_j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 4:57pm
Looks like am getting nowhere in my search for an attorney to accompany me to the hearing. Those I call are either not into dealing with hearing or citing too short notice to handle this. Am gonna keep trying.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 3:21pm

Consider taking a close family member, or finding a consultant, someone who can at least accompany you and potentially be a reporter of what happens in the course of the hearing. They can remain entirely silent, and be there as much for moral support as anything. My theory (my guess) is that the presence of an additional person, particularly an independent person (like a consultant), is likely to temper the range within which a CJ might conduct the hearing. I would avoid a consultant who would engage in overt advocacy in the hearing (I have seen some cases in which it appears a consultant is over-the-top and does more damage than good), but rather focus on having someone there to more or less accompany you rather than as an advocate for you. Someone who would, in effect, be a witness of the hearing. (Again, a reason to do this is as much about influencing the way the CJ approaches the hearing.)

Avoid being confrontational in the hearing. (I noted in a previous post the idea of a lawyer being someone who can fill a sort-of bad cop role, engaging in more aggressive advocacy than the applicant would want to do . . . personally I would NOT trust a consultant to be competent in doing this . . . this is a highly sophisticated skill and even many lawyers are not very good at it. . . . alienating, let alone making the CJ angry, will most likely hurt one's case.)

Originally posted by sarin_j sarin_j wrote:

Looks like am getting nowhere in my search for an attorney to accompany me to the hearing. Those I call are either not into dealing with hearing or citing too short notice to handle this. Am gonna keep trying.

Not a surprise. As I posted more than two weeks ago now:

"To find a good lawyer at this late date, over the holidays, on such short notice, that might not be practical if even possible."

And the difference between a good lawyer versus one who would not be much help at all looms large in this equation. A good lawyer demands, of himself or herself, doing the homework, getting prepared. This requires far more time and effort, and thus for the client, expense, than many might anticipate.

So finding a lawyer to jump into the fray of a case like this on short notice, at any time, would be a challenge, and over the holidays was, well, as I noted more than two weeks ago, perhaps simply not possible.

Moreover, the number of lawyers who do this, and are experienced in it, is probably fairly small . . . for the whole country, even in the GTA, Montreal, or Vancouver, let alone outside these areas (in which there is the largest concentration of immigrants as well as general population).

Citizenship application advocacy is not a large area of law. I do not know the number of CJ hearings there are these days, but back when the CJ hearing was essentially the default for any non-routine processing, so that test no-shows, any language or knowledge of Canada issues, virtually any non-routine processing could end up involving a CJ hearing, even then there were less than 10k CJ hearings a year (as I recall, going back to the 2006 to 2009 period when we were still seeing an annual Citizenship Commission Annual Report). It was clear that the vast majority of those hearings were knowledge or language testing, including written test no-shows, and a very high percentage of the residency case hearings were short-fall cases.

Thus, the number of residency case hearings in cases involving a reason-to-question-residency, as perceived by CIC, was probably, historically perhaps only a few hundred year. And in the vast majority of cases, applicants would go to these hearings without the assistance of legal representation.

Thus, not a major practice area for lawyers.

Which is a problem for those who really could use the services of a good lawyer.

This also means that even lawyers whose main area of practice, even exclusive area of practice, is immigration and citizenship, are not necessarily extensively experienced in the citizenship residency case involving a reason-to-question-residency. So, for a lawyer to take this sort of case on the eve of a CJ hearing, the good lawyer would have to do a lot of homework in order to be prepared for the hearing. Lawyers actually make their living off doing cases for which a lot of the homework overlaps, that is, in doing many of the same kinds of cases. So a more or less one-off type of case is not attractive and, indeed, for many if not most lawyers, and especially those who are good (thus in far more demand), they do not have the time.

Which is of little or no consolation in your situation.

sarin_j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 1:55am
Finally all the action and dram has come to an end, though with a disappointing end result for me - though it was not completely un-expected. The second hearing had a bit of dram with the first date being missed due to a nasty snow storm. We were around 90 minutes late when reached the CIC office. That day was really bad and we started with about 90 minutes buffer. Long story short, the interview was postponed and they said I would be notified. That gave me an additional couple of months to continue my search for a lawyer. A good stroke of luck landed me a reference to an attorney in Toronto who seem to have good reputation albeit rather expensive. After contacting him and providing the references, he agreed to take up my case. The fee was rather steep at 3000$ per hearing per person. So I took his service for both myself and my wife. All the case details and documents were provided to him and he did careful review and suggested we meet a day before the hearing. So I met him at his office in downtown Toronto and he went through my case with a fine-tooth comb. He came at me quite aggressively and later explained that this is how the judge is gonna be and he wanted to see how I respond. We discussed in detail all possibilities and in the end he said that mine is a very unique case with very little possibility of getting an approval considering the circumstances. It all depends on the judge's perspective as based on facts and evidence the judge can rule eitherway as both outcomes have enough supporting evidence. Ultimately it all depends on how the judge views you. If you face an unsympathetic judge, your case is a toast. So it was a sobering thought and in retrospect prepared me for what was coming the next day.

On the day of hearing I went in first and the moment we stepped into the judge's office, it was apparent that she is outright hostile. She was quite aggressive towards my lawyer - it was evident from the way she talked to him and asked him to turn off cell phones etc. - and rather obviously to me as well. Per my lawyers advise, I kept a calm face and kept my expression neutral. She started off with the first assumption of this hearing thrown into the trash bin, which was that the first hearing and its outcome will not have an impact on my second hearing. She had the first judge's hearing and our motion against it and its outcome in hear hand and she started from points highlighted in them. She asked me first, why do you think the first judge rejected my case. I answered that she seem to be very unhappy with my travel records to US and thats where she hung up on me. Then she responded that I made claims that I wanted to offer her evidence on health care and school records but the first judge refused to see them and she wanted to know if I have them handy. I said I have the school records but not the health records. She asked me why to which I said I got an impression that the key conflicting factor in my case appeared to be travel records and hence I spent my effort in correcting that situation and didnt pay attention to medical records since that was not an issue last time. She said that is not a satisfactory reply but wanted to know what I have to offer in terms of my travel records. So I gave her a detailed breakdown of my travel records that I compiled with the help of CBSA and CBP with an excel sheet showing matching same day entry and exit records for most of my travel records. This essentially corroborated my story from day one. She went back and forth and did agree that sometimes border agents dont scan your PR cards and I told her that I have experienced it multiple times during my entry into Canada, though such omissions were not noticed in the recent past. She then moved onto my medical records, job history etc. When I tried to show her utility and cell phone records and some financial records that were sent to my home addresses, she rejected them saying that such records are inconclusive and can't be used. My lawyer has been trying to intervene multiple times but she kept up her stand and refused to look at them. She said that the only thing she would consider is credit card statements that show transactions made inside Canada and doctor visit records. I promised that in a weeks time I can have both records sets sent out to her. She seem to be confused at certain things involving my job transfer and remote work facility and my second son's travel history. For example she couldn't understand how I could work from Canada while employed in US. Also, she asked me how I could bring my son to Canada if he didn't have a PR. I tried explaining to her that remote login is a feature which would allow me to work from anywhere in the world so long as I have a broad band connection. That has got nothing to do with where I get paid. To her other point of contention I tried to explain to her that with my son born in the US, he had a US passport and with the US passport he could freely travel to Canada and stay upto a max period of 180 days before he has to return. My lawyer also tried to clarify this point but she seem confused and un-convinced. The next item that came up was the period of time I spent in Canada right after I became the PR until I managed my permanent transfer. During this period there was a lot of travelling back and forth and we didnt have much of a formal record to show her. I explained to her that during that period we were staying with a friend of ours and we didnt have OHIP at that time nor we did have any Canadian credit cards. We used cash for whatever purchases we have to make and they were very minimal. What are you gonna buy when you are staying with your friends? He does all the grocery, pays for cable and hydro and all we may have to do is once in a while purchase of gas or some pharmacy stuff. So this kind of questioning went on for a good 3 hours and finally we came out then my wife went in along with the lawyer. That interview lasted only about 30 minutes and my wife came back and said she didn't ask much to her.

We then sat down with the lawyer and he said looks like my application is gonna be rejected and he agreed that the judge seem to be completely hostile and was somehow trying to justify the first judge's decision. We agreed to wait and see what happens.

After two months the letter came stating that our application was rejected. This time the judge was very careful in her language and focused all her attention on how to discredit my claimed period of stay within Canada. She attack can be narrowed down to one key point. The lack of any credit card, travel or medical history until I got my permanent job transfer. She in bold letters highlighted that the onus is on the applicant to prove residency and  hence it can be argued that I am not truthful about my residency for the said period of time. I immediately contacted my lawyer and he agreed to review the response and get me a reply in a couple of days time. He responded next week stating that there is ample ground to appeal and overturn the judgement and the fee for the entire process is 15k. He recommended that I consult him in person before taking any decision. So I setup a 1 hour session for 115$ to go over the details. 

He said that considering how she approached the case based on the previous hearing data and refused to look at key evidence like utility bills, it can be successfully appealed and her decision overturned. However the issue is that we would be going in circles with this process. The federal court do not have the right to grant citizenship to the defendant. It can rule if CIC decision was valid or not, but nothing more than that. So if I win, my case goes back to CIC and another hearing is set. What if that judge cites something else and rule against you? Another aspect is that with my PR card expiring in 2017, even if you win, most likely your oath wont take place before that date. So at that point CIC could still block you citing expired PR card. I can't renew the PR card now because I don't have enough residency either. So altogether my path forward is only going to be more complicated even though I win the appeal. I might win the battle, but most likely will loose the war. 

He also said that my status as a landed immigrant is not going to change ever. And with my current status I can enter Canada at anytime and then with the landed immigrant status start building my life in Canada towards citizenship again. So in reality its not a dead end. You just have to give up the current fight which is going to be costly and CIC seem to be determined to stop you at any cost, though on unethical grounds. You are fighting an agency with infinite resources and with a system built to favor itself. 

So in the end I decided to drop my fight and postpone my Canadian drams for a few more years. I wish it didnt end up like this. But there are things that I should have done during my early years which obviously I can't go back in time and fix them. But if anyone is reading this, I would like to tell you this. Keep every scrap of paper which can prove your residency. And if you are planning to count any period of time into your residency, make sure that you have some sort of paper trail that can without any doubt support you in a CIC court. If you thought utility bills or cable bills can talk for you, think again. If you have to go by the CIC language, you can simply get service and pay the bill even if you are not there. The clincher is something that requires your presence to really get that paper trail. Think of credit card transactions, doctor visits etc.

For now am gonna continue my life here and most likely would apply for US citizenship soon. I have dropped all my long term transfer plans to Canada through my office and in the process of closing down my consulting business in Milton as well. May be after a few years, I will take another look at a move to Canada, but for the time being being called a Canadian stays a distant dream.

Thank you all, especially dpenabill for the patience and effort you put in responding to my thread. Wish you all the very best in your quest towards the Canadian dream.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 2:26pm

A thorough report indeed. Appreciated.

[The lawyer] also said that my status as a landed immigrant is not going to change ever.

Caution: This is not necessarily true.

You must comply with the PR Residency Obligation, spending at least two years in five in Canada.

If you fail to meet the PR Residency Obligation, you could lose PR status!

The PR RO can be met by living with a Canadian citizen spouse. But otherwise you need to meet the PR RO by spending at least two years in five in Canada, and this is relative to every day. Thus, for example, any day you arrive at a PoE to come into Canada, you need to have been present in Canada for at least two years in the five years preceding that date . . . again, unless you are living with a Canadian citizen spouse. Frequent travel back and forth may diminish the extent to which you are scrutinized regarding compliance with the PR RO, but given the ever-increasing extent to which border crossing data is captured and maintained, the risk of problems for falling short are greater now than before and likely to become more so.

Any time you come to Canada you could be questioned about how much time you have spent in Canada in the previous five years. If that is less than two years, you could be reported for being in breach of the PR RO, and issued a Removal Order. That will result in the loss of your PR status unless you appeal and win the appeal. You now have some experience in what it takes to meet the burden of proving when you have been in Canada. The burden of proof will be on you.

It would not surprise me if there was a note of sorts in your FOSS file regarding concern about compliance with the PR RO.

Regarding the outcome:

The outcome is, as you note, not unexpected. That was an expensive lottery ticket.

As I noted early on about your situation, leaving Canada while the application is pending tends to be problematic. Your situation was aggravated by also being employed by an employer abroad, readily supporting the inference that you were abroad unless you could solidly document your presence in Canada. Your explanation about working remotely was dependent on the CJ believing your account, and in such a situation it is reasonable for a fact-finder (which the CJ is) to find the explanation insufficient to meet the burden of proof in the absence of strong documentation as to your actual presence during that time. Given how long ago it was, and the less-than-fully-settled nature of your lifestyle then, obviously that was going to be a difficult burden to meet.

(I understand how skeptical many if not most people are about working remotely. I have done the working-remotely thing for a long time, since the previous century in fact, but my actual relationship with the company I work for is that I am self-employed providing services on an independent contract basis, thus I am not in an employer-employee relationship with the company, thus my "employer" is my own business, which is located where I do the work . . . and indeed I can do what I do almost anywhere in the world so long as there is a broadband connection and the company's internal network and proprietary website are fully accessible (thus I could not do this in Cuba or China for example). At the time I began this, it appeared to be a trend which would expand greatly in the future. But outside of IT (my work is not IT), it does not appear to have expanded much, and most people who ask about my work do not seem to quite grasp how it is I work at home in a relatively isolated Canadian community, surrounded by bush and wilderness for many hundreds of kilometers in every direction, working for a company whose headquarters are in Europe, working with personnel at an office in New York (most of whom I have never met, and otherwise have not personally seen in more than a decade and a half), in a relationship administered in another U.S. state a thousand plus miles from NY, and am paid by an office which, last I knew, was in India but might be in the Phillipines now. Most people wrinkle their brow, utter huh, and, I suspect, do not believe me.)

You probably should have anticipated the questions about medical records. My guess is that they would not have helped much (isolated doctor visits, typical for many people and especially so for younger people, do not document much actual presence), so this probably had minimal effect. But the contrast of arguing in the first case that the failure to review these demonstrated a failure to consider the relevant evidence, and then not upfront providing those, signals an argument made more from artifice than sincerity.

In any event: again, you need to comply with the PR RO in order to retain your PR status.

sarin_j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 4:50pm
dpenabil, there are certain aspects of the PR that were previously unknown to me and explained to me by the lawyer. Again these are based on current law and there is no guarantee that it could stay the same down the lane. I am a little uncomfortable discussing these aspects in a public forum, but the bottom line is that your status as a landed immigrant remains regardless of your residency obligations. The key is how do you enter the country legally. Typical scenario is you need PR card or passport or proof of landing document for a land crossing. If you don't maintain the RO, you will loose PR card, but proof of landing can get you in through a land crossing. It could be difficult but not impossible. Now there are certain combinations of your statuses that could get you in legally and then allow you to stay in Canada allowing you to build RO and then satisfy the requirement for PR renewal ultimately leading to your citizenship. The path is complicated, expensive and is a fine line between legal and illegal status. But its possible. I can't say anything more than that.

Your description of remote working was bang on in my case. The first judge never understood it. The second judge made an attempt to understand it but had no clue when I got into details. She was asking for some sort of formal "letter" allowing me to work remotely to which I explained that most wall street firms give their employees remote access and there is no formal transfer process between work from office and work from home. Just the fact that you are issued a secure token and access code is proof enough that they allow you to work remotely. Apparently that thing flew right above her head and she decided that am just cooking up some fancy story and chose not to believe my story. 

I think that a judge who could understand the nature of an average IT person's job and how the financial meltdown of 2008 affected IT jobs in general would have been more sympathetic to my case. My circumstances were largely dependent on those factors and if you don't understand them then it all appear as a spectacular cock and bull story. Secondly, the judges were pre-disposed towards my case which was confirmed by both my lawyer and another immigration consultant who I spoke with later. The difference between the process explained to me by the CIC prosecutor after the first hearing and what really happened itself explains that the judge instead of following the correct procedure, decided to go after my application with the intent to undermine it. According to the lawyer and the consultant those would have been more than enough to have a federal court throw the decision out. Please note that in my first case, it didnt even take a judge to realize that the decision was completely unreliable. The second was not largely different either. However, in my case the pitfall is the process itself. There is not closure outside of CIC. Had I had an opportunity to take it to the Federal court, I might have done it. But this is a loop where the chances are stacked up against me. Like you said its gamble and in my case an expensive one.

Btw, I did provide the medical records. Fortunately with two schoolgoing children we had to frequent the doctors office a lot more than an average couple would have ;) so with the doctors records, dental visit records, other medical records, bank records and cross checked travel records pretty much made my residency solid between Aug 2007 to Feb 2010. What killed me was the period between Mar 2006 and July 2007. Those were the settling\moving in period where our focus was on settling down and didn't generate much proof of residence. So out of all excuses CIC was using to kill my application, that was the one they finally chose. Interestingly enough neither the first CIC review nor the first judge ever talked about this period. It was almost as if in their scramble to shoot down my application they stumbled upon this and jumped at it. Eitherway, my Canadian dreams are only temporarily postponed. On the plus side I get to have a US passport, which I never thought of until two months ago. So altogether its not so bad.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 1:15am

dpenabil, there are certain aspects of the PR that were previously unknown to me and explained to me by the lawyer. Again these are based on current law and there is no guarantee that it could stay the same down the lane. I am a little uncomfortable discussing these aspects in a public forum, but the bottom line is that your status as a landed immigrant remains regardless of your residency obligations. The key is how do you enter the country legally. Typical scenario is you need PR card or passport or proof of landing document for a land crossing. If you don't maintain the RO, you will loose PR card, but proof of landing can get you in through a land crossing. It could be difficult but not impossible. Now there are certain combinations of your statuses that could get you in legally and then allow you to stay in Canada allowing you to build RO and then satisfy the requirement for PR renewal ultimately leading to your citizenship. The path is complicated, expensive and is a fine line between legal and illegal status. But its possible. I can't say anything more than that.

I am no expert, but I know the PR Residency Obligation and how it works very well.

It is true that if you never get reported at the border, and never apply for a PR Travel Document, you remain a landed PR unless and until you are reported and that is adjudicated.

But that is not worth much. Once you have been outside Canada more than 1095 days within a five year period, the next time you go to enter Canada, you are entitled to enter as a PR, but you may be issued a 44(1) Report based on breaching the PR RO, and then issued a Departure Order. You then get to come into Canada but must appeal within 30 days. You win the appeal (if you have H&C reasons for example), you get to keep PR status. You lose the appeal, you lose PR status. You would then no longer be a landed PR in Canada. You would be a Foreign National, same status as before landing.

This is how it works.

I do not know your lawyer or what means the lawyer was suggesting. But I have read scores of IAD decisions in which many PRs were confused or misled or did not understand, and lost PR status. There are scores of such decisions day in and day out.

As I said in my previous post, there are ways to reduce the risk of being reported. Frequently coming to Canada and at least on some trips spending more than just a short stay, for example, would tend to mask the totality of absences. But the Liberals introduced legislation just the week before last to capture and make accessible even more border crossing information, including for citizens not just PRs.

BUT make no mistake: a breach of the PR Residency Obligation does not just make it difficult to obtain a status card, and thus being able to use commercial transportation to Canada. A breach of the PR RO can lead to termination of landed status. For sure.

At the least, I would strongly suggest consulting with a different lawyer before proceeding on the basis that you will forever be a landed PR even if you do not comply with the PR RO.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic