Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Judge hearing and events after that

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 2:58am
The latest on this is that I have decided to go for a judicial review. Collecting documentation and preparing notes. Lets see how this goes. 
hfxresident View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hfxresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 3:34pm
Citizenship is a privilege and not a right.

With time, people are starting to forget that. And there are some who wish to get citizenship as an accessory to their life for a better travel access to some countries without visas which the Federal Govt is now aware of and they are trying hard to track those people down and limit others from doing the same. Perhaps, this is why the judge is being tough? But I should add that having a US citizenship will be questioned pretty extensively. It was easy back in the day and but now-a-days, these type of red flags are being questioned.

Basic idea of a citizenship is: People, families who move to Canada to have a safe and secured life for themselves and their children. Or contribute to work force, if you are a rocket scientist. They come here, work, live, send kids to school, grow up, grow old, etc. But when you have a US citizenship already, a country that can provide you exactly the same, may be even better, benefits, privileges, secured life and what not. Why Canada?

Firstly, what does not make sense to these judges are insignificant things like, why are you opting to pay taxes in two different countries?? Albeit, you may manage to pay nothing here in Canada, you still have to file taxes as a non-resident Canadian for you and everyone in your family and have to go through extra work for it. Why?

In what instance would you require two citizenship? I mean, there are multiple ways for Canadians to live in the US and vice-a-versa. So, this is a question that will be tough to make a citizenship judge explain no matter how much mumbo jumbo we discuss, the fact is a fact, which dpenabill already stated, which is, 'Why go for a Canadian Citizenship when you already have the US citizenship??'

Regarding your entry/exit records: Did you not get a CBSA report and submit that? The CBSA report has all the record of your entry with date, time, officer, type of immigrant, etc. And I believe, as per my research, starting last year US & Canada amalgamated their customs/immigration system and therefore, they can see everything on both sides. Did you not get documents USCBP? There is a site that will allow you to see all your I-94 records, i don't know what site but there is one. Secondly, why wouldn't you declare your one day trips?? As per the residency calculator, it asks you to not to bother to enter because the calculator shows it as a "0". But does the questionnaire ask you to that it is mandatory that you do not enter? No. So, what I did for my wife, is enter even those couple of hour mall trips to Buffalo in the questionnaire. You have to understand that the questionnaire has a "reason" for your travel. That would have reduced a lot of harassment you received as these judges do not have time to really sit down, be in your shoes and picture those travel. Basically, I entered all dates, be that for couple of hrs with the "reason" and the calculator will put that as a "0" (Zero) and would not be counted towards your days absent. Great! Therefore, it sounds to me that you were actually not well prepared for this esp considering you have a unique situation, even after the RQ, unless you probably stated that in your explanations but I didn't notice. But if you didn't, then your application is technically incomplete, esp your travel dates, which is a BIG part of your citizenship process, regardless you holding a good job, having a property and such.

Bottom line: Do not leave any room for error or questioning in your case. Considering your situation, you would be questioned even if you did not leave any room for questioning but it sounds like you did and they are now at the point of not questioning but more of an interrogation and harassment.

My wife's situation:

2009:
Landed 2009.
3 month travel outside North America coupled with multiples trips to the US, every other long weekend.

2010:
Multiple trips to the US, every other long weekend.

2011:
4 month trip outside North America coupled with multiples trips to the US, every other long weekend.

2012:
2 month trip outside North America coupled with multiples trips to the US, every other long weekend.

2013:
5 month trip outside North America coupled with multiple trips to the US, every other long weekend.

2014:
Applied for citizenship

2014 Oct: Test after which the officer told my wife that there is a discrepancy in dates so Oath has been delayed but no RQ.

2015 Jan: Reached out to my wife asking her to drop by CIC office. She did and it was actually my error. I confused Oct (10) with January (01) so that was the mistake, but she understood, updated file and.....

2015 Feb: Oath

In my wife's situation, I declared ALL & EVERY trip, even those one day mall trips.

I am not blaming anyone, finding fault, being critical, but just discussing and explaining what I personally did for my wife so that perhaps you can do the same and be successful. I wish you all the best, buddy.
HFX: Sent Apr2010 | Letter Oct2010 | Process Feb2011 | Transfer Mar2011 | Test Sep2011 | Oath Dec2011

Comments are for discussion purposes only. Not intended to be relied upon.
sarin_j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:17pm
First of all, I am not sure about Citizenship being a right Vs. privilege arguments, but my point is that the conditions set by CIC for Citizenship were met and then some more. CIC don't read my mind to decide I don't intend to live in Canada or not and honestly if they haven't specified in paper then it has no legal standing.

Second, I am not a US citizen yet. If I choose to, I can become one next year. There is a little bit of background to my story here which could easily answer your questions. There were compelling reasons for me to move back to US and hadn't CIC dragged it so long, I would have been back in Canada in about 18 to 24 months time from my move back to US. If my intention was to obtain a visa free travel passport or other associated privileges, then going for US citizenship would be a much better option. But I want to be closer to my folks in GTA and thats where I plan to settle down in the long run. I explained the whole story multiple times to the CJ and CIC. I even wrote to them requesting them to expedite my processing so that I can process my job transfer. Nothing worked. All these time, I been paying taxes in Canada too as I still kept my home there in the hopes of coming back. I sold it only in 2013 after almost giving up hopes of something ever happening to my application. If you own a home, then you have to pay taxes. My wife was still working part time from Canada and we have our contracting firm running from Toronto. We had all these connections and I explained everything to the CJ, yet she chose to ignore them all. I never wanted two citizenship. All I wanted was to get my Canadian one. But multiple circumstantial factors forced me into this situation. If I wanted I could have obtained US citizenship long ago instead of trying to obtain PR in Canada and then settle down.

I have applied to CBSA twice before appearing for the interview and never got a response. I tried calling to no avail. Even recently my application was processed incorrectly and now am chasing ghosts from CBSA to get it properly done. I did explain this in my notes to the CJ and did provided copies of letters as proof. As for CBP, I wrote, I called and nothing ever got a response. Their current I-94 system goes back only 5 years and that was not available when I submitted my application. That site is https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html
But like I said, it goes back only 5 years. Its not gonna help me. I have already requested in an email for records going back to 2006. Will wait and see what happens.

As for one day trips neither the residency calculator nor the RQ questionnaire stated that I should specify one day trips. As some of you might have thought, my RQ didn't have something stating "declare ALL travel records". I gave the RQ reference # in my earlier response to dpenabill. The judge didnt have to sit in my shoes to see the picture. It was quite clearly explained to her. She doesn't even know the land crossing procedure and was confusing it with the air travel procedure !!! Its true that I was not prepared for a judge whose intention was solely to somehow discredit my application rather than factually access my situation. As dpenabill stated, with the recent stand on immigration by the conservative govt. and considering the fact that CJs are political appointees, you are likely to face CJs who are 100% skeptical and would be approaching your case with a preconceived notion that you are lying. I was not prepared for that and I wish I had seen this coming. As for the number of days absent, its not how you made the trips or how long you were absent, its how the entry and exit dates mismatched based on passport stamps and how I declared those dates. For example, I declared a trip outside Canada and she has the entry back into Canada on records, but don't have the passport stamp for the exit date as I crossed over to US using a valid I-94. What she would do is, she would count my exit date from one day after my last entry date into Canada or take the latest stamp on my passport before the entry date on the CBSA records. This is why I said she was cherry picking and manipulating the dates. Even there, she erred twice and when pointed out, she wouldn't acknowledge them.

What I realized is that if the CJ want to discredit your application with prejudice, he\she can do it unless you have closed EVERY potential loop hole. Example is a situation where something is legally not possible, yet it can be used as an excuse to undermine your case. When you enter Canada by land, your passport is not stamped, but then it can be used as an omission to discount your claims of entering into Canada. Another example is when you exit from Canada by land to US, if you have a valid I-94, there won't be any stamp on your passport. But it can be used as an excuse to deny your claims of exiting Canada on that specific date. So its not a matter of how much error-proofing you do to your application, but what is the mindset of the CJ at that time, that would determine how your case go. Ofcourse, am not discounting your efforts to foolproof your application, but don't bet on it 100%. If you are looking for lessons from my case, then I would say, get EVERY record from every agency you have to deal with. Even if its outside of Canada. Make sure that every thing is properly recorded - including date, time, place and get the matched to records you obtain from all these agencies. That is the only way you can prove beyond any reasonable doubt that you did you claim you did. But even then, dont think that the CJ would believe you.

In your case it the CJ believed that it was a genuine mistake. In my case the CJ wouldn't even admit her mistake let alone forgiving my mistake !!! Like I said, am gonna give it one last shot and if it doesnt work out, then I will sit down and re-evaluate my options. May be a fresh start or may be drop everything and forget Canada. Have to wait and see.
supercarp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supercarp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 5:28am
Originally posted by sarin_j sarin_j wrote:

First of all, I am not sure about Citizenship being a right Vs. privilege arguments, but my point is that the conditions set by CIC for Citizenship were met and then some more. CIC don't read my mind to decide I don't intend to live in Canada or not and honestly if they haven't specified in paper then it has no legal standing.

I have applied to CBSA twice before appearing for the interview and never got a response. I tried calling to no avail. Even recently my application was processed incorrectly and now am chasing ghosts from CBSA to get it properly done. I did explain this in my notes to the CJ and did provided copies of letters as proof. As for CBP, I wrote, I called and nothing ever got a response. Their current I-94 system goes back only 5 years and that was not available when I submitted my application. That site is https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html
But like I said, it goes back only 5 years. Its not gonna help me. I have already requested in an email for records going back to 2006. Will wait and see what happens.

why and how can CBSA not send you the in-and-out info, twice? I also ordered it twice last year and both of them were received correctly in the mail after 1-2 months of the request. are you sure you have asked for it through ATIP?
sarin_j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 12:07am
Here is an update on my application. After I posted my experience here, I was contacted by an attorney from Edmonton, Alberta who offered his service to take up my fight against CIC. His rates were affordable and I decided to work with him. The firm's name was Knisely Nagase Anderson LLP and his name was Martin Stoyanov. He immediately started moving the paperwork as we didnt have many days for the 30 day deadline. He explained the whole process to me and was very prompt in responding to my questions. He filed my documents and requested from CIC all the paperwork associated with my application. At about the same time I also applied for my travel records from DHS for all the crossings I made between Canada and US. Finally when the records obtained from CIC were reviewed, it substantiated EVERY points I made against the judge's decision in my earlier post. The attorney himself was shocked to see that the judge lied through her teeth especially around not submitting my US GC !!! He was very confident on my case and few weeks later, I got the news from him that the CIC attorney has asked us to drop the case and in return they would send my application for re-evaluation. We were asked to sign the Notice of Discontinuance if we agree to this deal. I asked about the timelines involved because if this whole thing was going to take another 2 to 3 years, its rather useless to me. He got the response from the CIC attorney that matters like this are concluded rather quickly. So we agreed and signed the Notice of Discontinuance effectively reversing the denial and ending our case. We were very happy with the outcome and the way the attorney handled our case. Unfortunately this happiness was short lived and I now suspect we have traded the rock for a hard place. At this point, we have no idea what the status of our application is. When I contacted the CIC through their helpline, they could see that our application has been sent back for re-evaluation but they can't say anything else. They recommended us to contact our attorney. My repeated pleas\requests to the attorney so far yielded zero responses. And today when I checked my status online, the system can't even find my details based on client# or file ID. I assume this is because may be they closed my original application and started a new one. But so far no communication from CIC about any of this. Is there anyone who can shed some light on my current situation?
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 12:21am

The outcome you describe is, as much as I can discern, not unusual. The consensual withdrawal of an appeal pursuant to this or that condition or agreement is, I think, quite common.

I am no expert, not a Canadian lawyer, and cannot begin to second-guess the deal the lawyer made on your behalf.

Not sure why your attorney is not responding. Best I can offer is to continue to make an effort to communicate with the lawyer's office.

I am not clear what "re-evaluation" means in your case. But that is probably the best outcome you could have obtained in the Federal Court anyway. However, that is very much dependent on there being, in fact, a re-evaluation of the case.

I am guessing it is a bit too early to jump to conclusions about the status of things. That noted, your anxiety is natural and I fully concur in your continued effort to find out the status of your case. If the CIC help line confirms that the case has been put into a track for re-evaluation, that is where it should be and that, again, is all a Federal Court could have ordered CIC to do (that is, that is as good as winning the appeal). But where it goes from here and why eCas is not showing an active case I cannot guess.

Stay after it and again please let us know how this goes.

And good luck.

Here is an update on my application. After I posted my experience here, I was contacted by an attorney from Edmonton, Alberta who offered his service to take up my fight against CIC. His rates were affordable and I decided to work with him. The firm's name was Knisely Nagase Anderson LLP and his name was Martin Stoyanov. He immediately started moving the paperwork as we didnt have many days for the 30 day deadline. He explained the whole process to me and was very prompt in responding to my questions. He filed my documents and requested from CIC all the paperwork associated with my application. At about the same time I also applied for my travel records from DHS for all the crossings I made between Canada and US. Finally when the records obtained from CIC were reviewed, it substantiated EVERY points I made against the judge's decision in my earlier post. The attorney himself was shocked to see that the judge lied through her teeth especially around not submitting my US GC !!! He was very confident on my case and few weeks later, I got the news from him that the CIC attorney has asked us to drop the case and in return they would send my application for re-evaluation. We were asked to sign the Notice of Discontinuance if we agree to this deal. I asked about the timelines involved because if this whole thing was going to take another 2 to 3 years, its rather useless to me. He got the response from the CIC attorney that matters like this are concluded rather quickly. So we agreed and signed the Notice of Discontinuance effectively reversing the denial and ending our case. We were very happy with the outcome and the way the attorney handled our case. Unfortunately this happiness was short lived and I now suspect we have traded the rock for a hard place. At this point, we have no idea what the status of our application is. When I contacted the CIC through their helpline, they could see that our application has been sent back for re-evaluation but they can't say anything else. They recommended us to contact our attorney. My repeated pleas\requests to the attorney so far yielded zero responses. And today when I checked my status online, the system can't even find my details based on client# or file ID. I assume this is because may be they closed my original application and started a new one. But so far no communication from CIC about any of this. Is there anyone who can shed some light on my current situation?

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
sarin_j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 9:32pm
Thank you dpenabill for the response. I will make another attempt to contact the attorney. My gut feeling is that he is intentionally avoiding me because I have left numerous voice mails, messages at the front desk and emails. If zero response, then that could be that he has no interest whatsoever in establishing contact with me. 

About the re-evaluation phrase I used, let me type up exactly what the letter states. May be that would make more sense.

Kindly be advised that I have received instructions to consent to this application for leave and
judicial review of the March 25, 2015 decision denying your client's application for grant of
Canadian Citizenship.
The terms of our consent are, on a without costs basis, upon receipt of a filed Notice of
Discontinuance, the matter will be sent back to a new decision maker at CIC for re-determination.

I trust this to be satisfactory, and will look forward to receiving your filed discontinuance in due
course.

Yours truly,

MARIA GREEN
Counsel
Prairie Region
Department of Justice Canada

cc: Federal Court - Edmonton
Via Facsimile:(780) 495-4681

I am trying hard to remember the exact term used by the lawyer, but am pretty sure it was re-evaluation. I plan to contact the helpline tomorrow to find out my status and why its not showing up online. So far no communication has been sent to my home in Canada. I hope this whole thing has gone into a blackhole of some sort. What is more concerning is the way the CIC changing their rules and in a rush to close out pending cases they might just throw out my application.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 5:17pm

In addition to being NO expert, I have no exposure to these sorts of transactions in Canada.

Beyond that, in general it appears to be genuine, as in it appears to be what it purports to be. And thus it does indeed appear that this is headed back to CIC (obviously, though, as of this communication, your lawyer still needed to prepare and submit the Notice of Discontinuance).

Particularly if this was received somewhat recently, I would not be much worried but would expect things to take some time. Not a whole lot of time perhaps, but weeks or months.

Your case will probably go back to a CIC Citizenship Officer for a re-evaluation. But that is not entirely clear. It could be referred to another CJ hearing with a different Citizenship Judge without first being re-assessed by a CIC Citizenship Officer. I do not know how CIC is handling these matters these days.

I do not recall the status of your evidence, but you now have an opportunity to gather any additional evidence you might not have had at the earlier hearing. You should have border entry records from the U.S. in addition to the CBSA Travel History, at the least.

While the transition in government taking place should not directly affect the processing of applications much, things will probably move a bit more slowly for awhile as some staff may be diverted to engage in transitional work.

Caution: You might be surprised by a sudden notice to appear for the oath. Remember, you cannot miss that scheduled event. If you miss that, the fact of being abroad is NOT an acceptable excuse or reason, and this could result in the summary termination of the application.

Thank you dpenabill for the response. I will make another attempt to contact the attorney. My gut feeling is that he is intentionally avoiding me because I have left numerous voice mails, messages at the front desk and emails. If zero response, then that could be that he has no interest whatsoever in establishing contact with me.

About the re-evaluation phrase I used, let me type up exactly what the letter states. May be that would make more sense.

<font color="#ff0066">Kindly be advised that I have received instructions to consent to this application for leave and judicial review of the March 25, 2015 decision denying your client's application for grant of
Canadian Citizenship.
The terms of our consent are, on a without costs basis, upon receipt of a filed Notice of
Discontinuance, the matter will be sent back to a new decision maker at CIC for re-determination.

I trust this to be satisfactory, and will look forward to receiving your filed discontinuance in due course.

Yours truly,
MARIA GREEN
Counsel
Prairie Region
Department of Justice Canada

cc: Federal Court - Edmonton
Via Facsimile:(780) 495-4681</font]

I am trying hard to remember the exact term used by the lawyer, but am pretty sure it was re-evaluation. I plan to contact the helpline tomorrow to find out my status and why its not showing up online. So far no communication has been sent to my home in Canada. I hope this whole thing has gone into a blackhole of some sort. What is more concerning is the way the CIC changing their rules and in a rush to close out pending cases they might just throw out my application.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
sarin_j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 1:51am
Here is an update on my case. After patiently waiting for weeks to hear from CIC about the next steps, I decided to check my status again hoping that somehow they might have restored my details based on re-determination process. But again there was nothing. So I contacted the call center and the agent after much searching came back and said that my file has been closed !!! And the only option available to me was to re-apply !!! I almost fell out of my chair hearing that. After so much effort, so much pain and so MUCH money spent, all I have left with is a closed case and re-apply??? It took two days to really digest this info and I felt like I been pushed into a bottomless pit with no hope of recovery. As a desperate measure I went through the letter sent to me by the justice department informing me about their decision, I noticed that there was a phone number listed and decided to give it a try. It was the number for the Justice Department in Edmonton and the voice at the other end sounded surprisingly friendly and helpful. I explained my situation to her and requested for her help. She asked for my last name and I gave it to her and also told her that the letter was signed was Maria Green. I was surprised again to realize that it was her that I was speaking to and she do remember my case !!! When I told her about CIC closing the file, she was surprised and shocked and said, this is really strange because we asked them to send your file for re-determination. She promised to look into it and by evening the same day I received communication from her stating that she has sent a note to CIC asking for explanation. Within a week she asked me to send a signed consent stating that I will be representing myself since the attorney was not returning calls. Later she explained that apparently the process we followed was wrong. In order to overturn the judge's decision we actually should have proceeded with a consent order and not by a discontinuance. She has drafted an order for us to sign so that our application can go back to another citizenship judge for re-determination. I was also happy to see the following statement in the statement of facts section.

The respondent acknowledges that there was a breach of procedural fairness committed by the Citizenship Judge at the Applicant's hearing. 

The respondent here is CIC.

This is the order sought by the justice dept.

The respondent seeks an order, on consent, granting this motion as follows:

a) that the previously filed notice of discontinuance be deemed to be withdrawn
b) that the applicant's application for judicial review be allowed without costs to either party
c) that the March 25 2015 decision of the citizenship judge refusing the applicant's citizenship application, as communicated to the applicant by letter dated March zs zafi be referred for re-determination in accordance with the crtzenship Act, R.s.c. 1985, c. c-29, as am. and the strengthening canadian Citizenship Acf, S.C. 2014, c.22.

So am hoping that finally something positive would come out of this ordeal. Hopefully I would get a judge who is un-biased and willing to hear my side of the story too. Only thing I want to figure out is should I take an attorney with me this time if I have to go for another hearing.
Harrikon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harrikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 3:01pm
Wow, finally something! I would definitely hire a lawyer. Why take a chance?
Applied: June 2012
Processing: December 2012
RQ and Test: December 2013
(Reason for RQ: unknown)
Oath: May 2015
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic