Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RQ discussions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 703704705
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by mc_seem mc_seem wrote:

A friend of mine (early 2012 applicant, then pre-test RQ early 2013) - only had her interview with the Citizenship Official once after test. She initially submitted the documents based on the old process / forms (certain forms, like the proof of language, - were not submitted). Her RQ response was deemed satisfactory by the CO. And she got scheduled for the oath within less than 5 weeks after her test / interview date. She already got her passport not long ago. Thus, there was no CJ review... Even if there was one (without her being called to attend), it took very little time to progress from interview to oath. I assume that the CJ review was not necessary, and the interview with CO was sufficient, eventhough she submitted the docs based on an old process.

This is a good report of a prime example where CIC is "satisfied" at the interview/test phase, based on the whole file including response to pre-test RQ submission. There was, of course, a "review" by the Citizenship Judge, but that would have been the "paper review" or "file review," and it is largely perfunctory (CIC having, in effect, already approved the applicant for the grant of citizenship).

This has been a common report this year among a large percentage of pre-test RQ'd applicants, particularly those issued RQ during the time period prior to "interpretations" and amendments to OB 407, that is, when CIC was issuing RQ to a far larger share of all applicants based on very broadly applied technical criteria.

As outlined in my other posts, the path for those whose file and RQ response does not garner a "satisfied" conclusion as of the test/interview phase, those applicants will go to a queue to wait for a Citizenship Officer to be assigned to do what amounts to a full work-up of the file, a thorough assessment and preparation of the referral to the CJ using the File Preparation Template.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
mini_k View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 1:11pm

How much is known about the nature of “preliminary reviews” (pre-test checks conducted by case workers) and  case workers being “satisfied” with RQ submissions?

For example, did preliminary reviews conducted throughout 2013 for pre-test RQ candidates include an actual assessment of RQ submission contents as to the quality and sufficiency? Or was the primary objective of preliminary reviews to re-triage applications using updated criteria to see if any RQs can be lifted and rendered N/A and making sure that background checks are up-to date, file completeness checks?

It appears that RQ assessment status does not affect the scheduling and timing of tests.  As such test events and RQ assessments appear to be independent processes.

As such a “case worker satisfied ” and a quick referral to CJ after the test scenario may indicate RQ rendered N/A due to updated criteria  and not that RQ has been assessed  and no concerns noted.

Any thoughts from experienced members?

montrealia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montrealia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 4:02pm
One thing that call center agents all agree each time I call them to inquire about my case (pre-test RQ) is that something should happen within 6 months of the exam: either they will ask for more documents or they will approve the case. 

So, I don't think the test and the review of the RQ are independent. In fact the officer that interviewed me had studied the RQ in detail before the interview.
Office: Guess!!!
Received: 25 May 2011
In Process: 26 Jun 2012
pre-test RQ submitted: 03 Aug 2012
PR card renewed: June-Sept 2013, no issues
Test: 26 March 2014
Oath: 7 August 2014
mini_k View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 4:16pm

Well, this is encouraging….

I thought I saw in one of your posts that your RQ became N/A with the new OB. Is that what was in your ATIP?

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 5:41pm

Originally posted by mini_k mini_k wrote:

I came across a post on this forum indicating that an application including RQ response is reviewed by a case worker prior to the interview. The interview is also conducted by a case worker. The file is then referred to CJ for paper review if a case worker is satisfied. Alternatively, if a case worker is not satisfied the file is queued to a Citizenship Officer for a full assessment and subsequent referral to CJ.

How many file review stages are there exactly? Is an application only queued to a Citizenship Officer if a case worker is not satisfied? And how long does it take for a Citizenship Officer to complete an assessment?

Quote How much is known about the nature of “preliminary reviews” (pre-test checks conducted by case workers) and case workers being “satisfied” with RQ submissions?

For example, did preliminary reviews conducted throughout 2013 for pre-test RQ candidates include an actual assessment of RQ submission contents as to the quality and sufficiency? Or was the primary objective of preliminary reviews to re-triage applications using updated criteria to see if any RQs can be lifted and rendered N/A and making sure that background checks are up-to date, file completeness checks?

It appears that RQ assessment status does not affect the scheduling and timing of tests. As such test events and RQ assessments appear to be independent processes.

As such a “case worker satisfied ” and a quick referral to CJ after the test scenario may indicate RQ rendered N/A due to updated criteria and not that RQ has been assessed and no concerns noted.

I included quote from other topic since they are related.

If you look at previous posts above you should see some posts in which I go into depth about the various screening stages and checks done, to the extent we know and recognizing there is a lot we do not know about what goes on behind the curtains at CIC.

The pre-interview check specifically includes the review of any RQ submission. (We know this from a copy of the File Requirements Checklist shared here in 2012 -- it has probably been amended some, but in the most part probably remains largely intact.) The nature and extent of this examination appears to vary, which is what would make sense: CIC, like CBSA, tends to look for what is oft called red flags and then pursue further inquiry following up any concern or issue thus identified. If in a cursory review there are no concerns, no apparent issues, there is no incentive to waste time digging deeper. If, in contrast, a concern is identified, a closer look follows, and depending on what that reveals, the person conducting the review is either satisfied, and moves on, or sees cause to dig more deeply, and so on . . .

There is no indication that RQ submissions are examined, reviewed, or assessed independently or separately, except as part of the standard review/assessment process. Thus, for example, the pre-interview check (which is done for all applicants) entails going over the file as a whole, following the checklist, parts of which refer to reviewing the RQ. Similarly, an interview is comprehensive, focused to the extent the interviewer follows a script or checklist, which may be (probably is) customized some for the particular applicant. Hence the wide variations we see reported about the scope and depth of the interview, some interviewers appearing to ignore the RQ submission entirely other times the interview going into depth about details in the applicant's life, be that travel or employment or other details.

Title or position of individuals doing the pre-interview check, interview, and so on, is not clear (reports and even references in CIC internal memos are not consistent). Probably not usually a "Citizenship Officer," but beyond that references to these individuals varies. Personally I doubt the title is important, except that we know Citizenship Officers have more authority and that in particular the formal referral to the Citizenship Judge is prepared by a Citizenship Officer (or, perhaps in routine cases, at least perfunctorily passed on by a Citizenship Officer).

As best I can figure out about practices behind the curtain, the real distinction is in identifying a case as a residency issue case or, more severely, a possible residency fraud case (I tend to discuss these as a group, generally referring to "residency cases").

Generally, it is my strong impression, once RQ is issued, the application becomes a residency case. If CIC is "satisfied" following the pre-interview and interview stage, my sense is that a pre-test RQ'd applicant will be (in effect even if not by some formal designation) returned to a file or paper review processing track, as in not a residency case, no longer a residency case.

Additionally, a number of applicants issued RQ in 2012 and perhaps early 2013, appear to have had their file revisited relative to changes in the triage criteria, which were initially very, very broad and were narrowed by subsequent amendments to OB 407, which apparently similarly resulted in those no longer being in a track for residency case processing. (We do not know precisely what this meant in terms of actual practices or actions with the file; my sense is that the RQ response was still part of the file, still examined to some extent, but that the requirement for a referral done using the File Preparation Template was removed.)

I doubt that a RQ submission ever becomes not-applicable, but rather either a re-assessment that RQ was not required (pursuant to modified triage criteria) or that CIC is satisfied based on what is of record, in the file (including RQ submission,) in conclusions following the interview, such files are then on track for a referral to the CJ for a paper or file review, which in practical terms almost always (but not always) means the applicant is scheduled for the oath.

Otherwise, the application continues in a residency case processing track, which means it goes into a queue for a Citizenship Officer to be assigned, who will do the full work-up, thorough assessment of the file (again, this would be of the entire file, RQ submission included, no separate RQ submission assessment in particular), and preparation of the referral for the CJ using the File Preparation Template.

But, as I outlined in previous posts, there are many screenings or checks along the way. And for every action-step along the way, CIC is mandated to conduct a GCMS check in particular, which incorporates queries into FOSS, which in turn incorporates queries into other integrated databases beyond just entries into FOSS made by CIC (including, for example, applicant activity like application for new PR card or family sponsorships) and CBSA (such as POE NCBs), like criminal record databases maintained by the RCMP and the U.S. NCIC system (maintained by the FBI I think, but populated with data from all sorts of federal, state, and local law enforcement bodies, as well as federal and state judicial systems).

Caveat regarding pre-test RQs sent to-be-processed in St. Clair office in 2012, early 2013: For a long while this was a black hole. What was actually happening there has never been clearly revealed. Some of what we know hints that these pre-test RQs were queued to be reviewed by a Citizenship Officer in the same manner as RQ'd applicants, residency cases were being prepped for the referral to a CJ using the File Preparation Template. If this is what was happening, that would explain why there was virtually no progress in processing those applicants for over a year. OB 407 itself did not prescribe this, but rather indeed the pre-interview check including an examination of any response to pre-test RQ was set up pursuant to the orginal version of OB 407. The St. Clair office, in which many if not most if not nearly all GTA RQ'd cases ended up, obviously went its own way in some regard, a way which did not work, which created a huge, huge backlog which was bogging down many thousands of qualified applicants, qualified applicants whose applications and files had little or no reason to be subjected to the far more thorough scrutiny that, apparently, St. Clair was imposing on RQ'd applicants across-the-board.

It is possible, quite feasible, this was deliberate and directed from the top down, perhaps originating in the PMO (where it is quite certain OB 407 came from to begin with). Harper's close staff may have been more interested in an intensive screening process, to see what dirt could be dug up, than it was in timely implementing the provisions of Canadian law. This is what I suspect. Not at all sure of course. But I do indeed suspect that much of what happened in St. Clair was due to a pervasive data-mining exercise, a broad-based sweep far beyond the scope of the problems being addressed.

In any event, part of why it remains so difficult to map certain aspects of the usual course of processing for RQ'd applicants, is that over the last couple years there have been so many tangents and diversions and changes in the processing, and continued variations from one local office to another. Personal reports have tended to reflect what was (not what is) happening to just some individuals, with no discernible patterns from which general or usual practices could be discerned.

Bottom-line, though, is that the RQ submission is just part of the file, and as one would expect, any time a decision is to be made based on the file, the decision-maker can and usually will examine most of the file. The depth of that examination will vary from person to person, issue to issue. The main distinction of import to most applicants given RQ is whether CIC is satisfied, or not, such that the application is then (in a decision following the interview) on a track for a paper review by the CJ (in which case the oath is ordinarily scheduled in the near future, from very soon after the test to a few months) or is directed into a queue to be assigned to a Citizenship Officer for what I tend to refer to as the long-haul, residency case process. There is, usually (or so it appears) no way to get a definitive indication from CIC which way things are headed, until there is indeed an oath ceremony scheduled or . . . a long time passes. While ATIP requests might happen to capture a note in the GCMS, reflecting decision being made, in time that an applicant will learn of a next event sooner that way, this appears to not happen often and in any event the extent to which such information is obtained sooner is minimal.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

mini_k View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 6:15pm
 Similarly, an interview is comprehensive, focused to the extent the interviewer follows a script or checklist, which may be (probably is) customized some for the particular applicant. Hence the wide variations we see reported about the scope and depth of the interview, some interviewers appearing to ignore the RQ submission entirely other times the interview going into depth about details in the applicant's life, be that travel or employment or other details.

Can a lack of reference to RQ submission or known RQ triggers by the interviewer be interpreted as a lack of concern or a lack of detailed review prior to the test?

mini_k View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 6:29pm

Thank you dpenabill. Can you please offer more insights into the following:

Are all RQs need to be reviewed at least to some extent by a Citizenship Officer (CO) following a review conducted by a case worker, if these are in fact two distinct levels of review?  

Can we conclude that all RQ’ed cases are referred to CJ by a CO (who seems to have more authority)? And that case workers do not have the necessary authority to complete an assessment and referral on their own?

Is it really “bad news” if your file is in queue to be reviewed by a CO? Or is it a necessary step in the process which by itself does not necessarily indicate any more scrutiny or unresolved concerns? Does it even indicate that an additional level of review by someone else is necessary?

Or is CO a generic term used to describe all reviewers whether it be a CO or a case worker or a citizenship official? The update form is obviously generic................Is it possible that RQ status only changes to  “assessed” after a review by CJ, whether paper review or in person hearing?

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 4:23pm

Are all RQs need to be reviewed at least to some extent by a Citizenship Officer (CO) following a review conducted by a case worker, if these are in fact two distinct levels of review?

Can we conclude that all RQ’ed cases are referred to CJ by a CO (who seems to have more authority)? And that case workers do not have the necessary authority to complete an assessment and referral on their own?

Not sure. And, it may vary from local office to local office. Moreover, ultimately it may matter little.

A long explanation in the vein of an answer most do not want to consider (particularly those who like to express definitive one-liners or are only interested in definitive conclusions, even though there rarely are any definitive answers for a given applicant):

The precise operational steps, the actual practices engaged in by local office personnel, is beyond what we know. In my descriptions of the process I make a concerted effort to indicate what is known and how it is known, including disclosing the relative confidence I have when expressing inferences and suppositions; for example, some inferences are based on known-information and direct, solid reasoning, but oft times I will refer to "my impression" (as in this is what I think, fairly confidently, but cannot necessarily directly support) or to "I suspect" (which is weaker than an impression, stronger than a guess, and thus is what I think without necessarily a lot of confidence), and oft times I will expressly state what is "my guess," which of course is my best guess but just a guess. I attempt to use terms like "known," "probably," and "possibly" carefully, recognizing the important distinction between such terms and with due consideration given to labeling something as "probable" versus just "possible."

Some things, like the pre-interview check step, we know directly from specific information released by CIC, albeit now two years old and subject to some amendments in the meantime. Some things can be relatively conclusively inferred, extrapolated, from the specific things we know. Then there are ranges of what is likely, given what we know, and at this stage a wide variety of resouces comes into play, into consideration, ranging from anecdotal reports by participants in forums like this one, to accounts of procedure and process and substantive decision-making reported in the Federal Court citizenship case decisions. We have an extensive amount of information from various completed ATI requests, but that information tends to be diffuse, fragmented, often subject to redactions, without clear context, and thus largely amounting to a lot of individual pieces of a large puzzle which many of us have made a genuine effort to fit into a more or less coherent picture of what, as best we can make out, actually happens, recognizing however that the picture is far, far from complete, with more than a few gaping holes.

Lots of caveats. Lots of less-than-certainty.

But there is, nonetheless, a lot we have indeed figured out, stuff well beyond what CIC willingly communicates to PRs and citizenship applicants.

There is, however, a point of diminishing returns, especially at the very detailed level. The desire to understand is powerful, and that is a big motivation in a lot of this work to figure out what really happens, how, why, who makes the decisions, what are the decisions based on, what can be expected next, how long will it be, and so on. It is not random. It is not arbitrary. Decision-making is criteria-driven and evidence based. So over the years many, including me, have made a concerted effort to learn what we can about the process, about the criteria employed, about what evidence is considered and about what weight it is given. Thus, we have strived to better understand the process.

But the more important motivation is rooted in what one might say is actionable intelligence: information PRs and applicants can use to better navigate the process.

Whether it is a "case worker" or a "case officer" who conducts the interview, for example, does not offer us much insight into anything which will improve applicants' capacity to better navigate the process. To what extent a superior (person with supervisor authority for example) reviews the results of the interview, as compiled by the interviewer, is a detail which probably varies from office to office, maybe varies from applicant to applicant. For example, it is my impression that some applicants are flagged, and for such applicants a superior probably reviews the interviewer's results more thoroughly . . . but this is a nuance which really does not alter the essential dynamics or determination, the question being whether, at the conclusion of the interview process, CIC is "satisfied," or not satisfied. Those for whom CIC is satisfied (including pre-test RQ'd applicants) are almost all on a track for a paper review by the CJ and thus likely to be scheduled for the oath soon. The others, for whom CIC is not satisfied at that stage, the long-haul track yawns menacingly before them.

Is it really “bad news” if your file is in queue to be reviewed by a CO? Or is it a necessary step in the process which by itself does not necessarily indicate any more scrutiny or unresolved concerns? Does it even indicate that an additional level of review by someone else is necessary?

My impression is that all applicants are reviewed, to some degree, by a Citizenship Officer. Note, "CO" sometimes refers to a "case officer" which is not necessarily a Citizenship Officer. But, my further impression is that the review can vary greatly in degrees of scrutiny, depending on the particular facts and circumstances of the case, the history of the applicant, and so on.

What makes a difference, as best I can figure out about how the process works, is again whether or not CIC concludes (be that by the interviewer or a case officer or a Citizenship Officer), in the interview stage, it is satisfied. If satisfied, the file proceeds in the track for a paper review. The oath can be given later that day, in two days time (my experience), a week or two later, or not for three to six months.

In contrast, if the conclusion is not satisfied, the file goes into a track for further processing.

If there is already a response to RQ in the file, this means it will go into a queue to be assigned to a Citizenship Officer to conduct a more thorough assessment, the full work up I describe it as, including the preparation of the referral to the CJ using the File Preparation Template. This is long-haul. To what extent is this bad news depends, of course, on the particular facts of the case, the specific issues or concerns involved. Some of these cases will eventually still be scheduled for the oath without a hearing. Some will go to a hearing. Some of the cases which go to a hearing are OK still, the hearing a means for the CJ to personally assess the character and credibility of the applicant, with approval to follow. Many, though, will go to the hearing with a negative referral from CIC, the reasons why citizenship should be denied specified in the referral.

If the conclusion (at the interview stage) is not satisfied, but there has not been RQ, CIC may request specific documents short of issuing RQ, or issue RQ. If it is a specific document request, there is a good chance that submission of the requested documents will resolve the outstanding concern and CIC will be "satisfied," and the file will go to a paper review track.

In the pre-OB 407 days, some post-test RQs were processed this way, the response to the RQ satisfying CIC, the applicant in essence returned to a paper review track without getting mired in the long-haul residency case process. This is probably still true, but I suspect the odds are not so good, given the use of pre-test RQ for most RQ and the use of specific document requests if CIC perceives specific documents can resolve any concerns, these days a post-test RQ is likely to be for a substantive reason for which the long-haul process ordinarily follows.

Or is CO a generic term used to describe all reviewers whether it be a CO or a case worker or a citizenship official? The update form is obviously generic................Is it possible that RQ status only changes to “assessed” after a review by CJ, whether paper review or in person hearing?

I do think many times a reference to "CO" is indeed generic.

I assume your reference to a notation that "RQ status" is "assessed" derives from a GCMS record. There are other participants far more familiar with the specific contents of the GCMS records, as obtained through the ATIP process, than I am. That said, my strong impression is that many read too much into the notations in GCMS records.

If there is indeed a specific GCMS notation about "RQ status," as "assessed," I doubt it reflects decision-making by a CJ. The CJ makes a determination as to whether the applicant meets the qualifications for citizenship, or not, and thus "approves" or "denies" the application, and fills in the form section for stating his or her reasons.

greeny View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by greeny greeny wrote:

Originally posted by montrealia montrealia wrote:

Originally posted by greeny greeny wrote:

Originally posted by montrealia montrealia wrote:

I've just been to the Salon de l'immigration et de l'integration au Quebec and visited all the lawyer's stands and inquired about Mandamus.

I was independently told by two lawyers that I should wait until 8 months after my exam (note: I'm an pretest RQ, see my signature).

I don't understand why you are even thinking about WOM ?  1 week to 4 months from Test date to next step is NORMAL

I agree that my current timeline after test is normal. My timeline before test was quite a record: 34 months just to be called for the test? I've only seen a couple of people who waited longer than me (one month longer at most) just to be called for the test! What if I'm also a record for after test timeline as well? Who knows?

My goal was to get informed about possibilities and get opinions on timing. The "salon de l'immigration" doesn't happen all the time, I don't know if there will be another this year. I thought this was a good chance to get to meet several lawyers, talk to them face to face, all by going to just one place. My goal is to be prepared if I don't get call for the oath within 6 to 8 months.
that's normal for 2011 applicant actuallyOuch 
don't worry you'll be posting happy news here soonStar

here are they  - good news ! 
Congrats!ClapClapClap
and , yes, it's about 4 weeks to get your oath letterSmile
landed: May, 2003

applied: Dec04,2009

test/RQ: Feb15,2011 st.clair
2nd RQ: Aug 2014
Total waiting time to oath: 60,5 months :)= 5 years and 14 days
oath- Dec , 2014
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 703704705