Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RQ discussions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 614615616617618 705>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan_The_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 12:22pm
Thanks, dpenabill for the clarifications. 
akella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

There is indeed a difference between "officer" and "official," but what that difference is I do not know. Internal CIC memos regarding comments about the implementation of OB 407 reflect a complaint, of sorts, that the authors of CIC bulletins had failed to distinguish tasks to be done by one versus the other (thus detrimentally affecting local office resource allocation); there is no elaboration or enough context, however, to glean which one does what.

I agree with dpenabill on this one. I remember seeing discussions in disclosed e-mails re: what level of their employees is doing what task and that they adopted a neutral signature at the end ("Citizenship Official"), I believe. But from our perspective - no difference, really.
Dan_The_Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan_The_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 1:41pm
I agree. At the practical level, these acronyms don't matter that much to us as applicants.
angrypolarbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angrypolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 4:39pm
dpenabill (or anyone else):

Could you please point me in the direction of a good ATIP letter template that is not the standard form?  I would like to be more specific in requesting the File Analysis Template and File Requirements Checklist, as it might shed some light on whether I triggered any specific criteria from the outset due to "minor" things like a brief period of unemployment, or whether there is some other mysterious factor at work.

Thanks!
twocats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 11:40am

Another piece of analysis on what could trigger RQing the applicant. My partner and I submitted citizenship application which were almost identical – same landing date, absence from Canada for 7 consecutive months  right after landing, same addresses, both employed, both traveled a lot (In fact my partner travelled much more than I), both filed taxes etc.

Difference. Shortly after we returned to Canada after 7 months of absence he went to English classes for three months and utilized some other settlement services prior to getting his first job. In his citizenship application he mentioned that and did not disclose two less than a month periods of “doing nothing” taking advantage of old citizenship application form date format (MM-YYYY). He did not get RQ. I had three months “blank” period as I did not take English classes and did not use settlement services the way he did. So, I had no choice but to identify myself as “unemployed” for three months.  I got RQ.

Conclusion – RQ in my case was triggered exclusively by “self-identifying as unemployed with any travel” clause of the OB 407 operation check list.

Lesson learnt – avoid self-identifications which trigger RQ, use settlement services and mention them in your application. It can actually cover months of your life here – let us say you went to an agency providing employment support for newcomers. They did intake with you and you attended few workshops and wrote them a couple of e-mails. Until they close your file, usually after 6 months, you are a client there and if need be this agency can generate  a letter which will cover the entire period of you involvement with them – they usually go by  “intake” and “discharge” dates.

NB! Unfortunately, new citizenship application form date format has been changed to DD-MM-YYYY format, so it makes it more difficult to jump over short periods of unemployment.

Edited by twocats - 09 Apr 2013 at 11:43am
angrypolarbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angrypolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 1:04pm
Thanks for the analysis twocats, it does indeed seem like the declaration of unemployment was the piece of information that differentiated your two applications.  It seems a little cruel though - given the economic roller-coaster of the last few years, I'm sure many of us have had brief periods of unemployment.  Likewise those who arrived as PRs without a job lined up.

However, by no means should anyone try to hide their unemployment in the application.  I agree that if you know ahead of time, you should try to find something to fill that gap such as study or volunteering, but it's dangerous to gloss over it, and would certainly threaten your credibility if CIC were to find out by other means.  E.g. you don't declare a period of unemployment, but then your CRA records show that you claimed EI at some point. 

Still, I wonder if CIC will ever decide to overhaul the entire process rather than making these incremental changes that catch more and more people with RQs.  I know I would rather have spent time preparing a more detailed application in the first place, if that meant that a Citizenship Officer would only have to look at my case once, rather than repeatedly requesting information over the course of a few years.
itsraj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 1:27pm
I have called call centre today and the agent told me that it would take up to 35 months for processing RQ applicants. 35 months timeline is from the date on which application is received by them. This sounds better at least...!!!
Sent: Aug 29,2011|In Proc: Apr-12|Test: Dec 7,2012 | RQ Sent Feb-13 | Oath: Aug 12,2014
@Mississauga

Wife:Sent: Nov 25,11|In Proc: Nov-12|RQ Sent:Feb-13|Test: Mar-14|Oath: June 4th, 2014
@Mississauga
drakeferna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drakeferna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 6:21pm
hey twocats, just wanted to say that, as of today, April 9 2013, the employment/education history section on citizenship application form still requires you to account for each month, not each day. 

Originally posted by twocats twocats wrote:

Another piece of analysis on what could trigger RQing the applicant. My partner and I submitted citizenship application which were almost identical – same landing date, absence from Canada for 7 consecutive months  right after landing, same addresses, both employed, both traveled a lot (In fact my partner travelled much more than I), both filed taxes etc.

Difference. Shortly after we returned to Canada after 7 months of absence he went to English classes for three months and utilized some other settlement services prior to getting his first job. In his citizenship application he mentioned that and did not disclose two less than a month periods of “doing nothing” taking advantage of old citizenship application form date format (MM-YYYY). He did not get RQ. I had three months “blank” period as I did not take English classes and did not use settlement services the way he did. So, I had no choice but to identify myself as “unemployed” for three months.  I got RQ.

Conclusion – RQ in my case was triggered exclusively by “self-identifying as unemployed with any travel” clause of the OB 407 operation check list.

Lesson learnt – avoid self-identifications which trigger RQ, use settlement services and mention them in your application. It can actually cover months of your life here – let us say you went to an agency providing employment support for newcomers. They did intake with you and you attended few workshops and wrote them a couple of e-mails. Until they close your file, usually after 6 months, you are a client there and if need be this agency can generate  a letter which will cover the entire period of you involvement with them – they usually go by  “intake” and “discharge” dates.

NB! Unfortunately, new citizenship application form date format has been changed to DD-MM-YYYY format, so it makes it more difficult to jump over short periods of unemployment.

twocats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 9:06pm
twocats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 9:08pm
Right, this is the RQ where they go by days.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 614615616617618 705>
  Share Topic