Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RQ discussions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 536537538539540 705>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Antre Antre wrote:

I am joining the club of those who received RQ.Need a little help.1. I was trying to get a Travel Report  from my country but there is now way I can get it. I called embassy, I called airport, etc.. they have never heard anything about it. Do not know what to do.I am giving a consent for CIC to get CBSA report directly (it is in new RQ form).2. I am a citizen of Turkmenistan and in my passport I have some pages in Turkmen language (not turkish, turmen) This is a tiny country and language is rare. I could find a translator yet. However I found a lady who  can translate it. This lady has a diploma and certificate as a translator, but she is not accredited with any translation company. Do you think her translation will be valid? She can provide me with the copy of her Diploma and Certificate.3. Should I send an original Credit Card statements and Notices of Assessment, or photocopies?Thank you.and Good Luck to all of us.

Hello Antre, sorry to hear about you getting an RQ. I know where Türkmenistan is and I wouldn't call it a tiny country, it is bigger than a lot of EU countries, including Germany :) Anyhow, don't the customs officials there stamp your passport for every entry AND exit? I know in Russia they do, and given that Türkmenistan is part of the ex-USSR, it most likely inherited the customs policies and processes.

As for translations, I don't think you require a certified translator - your translation can be done by any person (other than yourself and your immediate family members from what I've heard) who can swear in an affidavit that they are fluent in English and Turkmen and that their translation is true and correct, and get their affidavit notarized. I know for sure I did such translations for documents like birth and divorce certificates for my friends when they were getting PR / sponsoring a spouse for PR, and it worked perfectly.

For CC statements, photocopies should be ok. Most people receive their statements online anyway.

PS: Sample translator affidavit form: http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/csc/@oipp/documents/document/oi_0157e_trans_aff_pdf.pdf

Edited by netghost - 20 Oct 2012 at 7:07pm
netghost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 7:09pm
Does anyone know, whether the program under which a citizenship applicant obtained their PR, matters at all in the citizenship process? Would provincial nominees have lower risk of getting an RQ compared to regular FSW applicants?

Edited by netghost - 20 Oct 2012 at 7:09pm
Ibrahim76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibrahim76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 1:25am

Roca,

I totally agreed with you and We should all deliver the same message to the country that we planned to live in with our families and kids. The message should be very clear that we feel that we are targeted and it looks like they changed their mind or don’t want us to get the citizenship.

Ibrahim

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 3:42pm

Quote netghost:
Quote Does anyone know, whether the program under which a citizenship applicant obtained their PR, matters at all in the citizenship process? Would provincial nominees have lower risk of getting an RQ compared to regular FSW applicants?

I don't think anyone here is fully apprised of all factors taken into consideration in CIC screening for RQ, so it is not possible to say, definitively, whether or not, or how so if so, something like being a provincial nominee affects that screening.

But, it is well-apparent that even the specific risk indicators (such as those listed in the File Requirements Checklist) are assessed in context, not in the abstract. "In context" means the whole picture, and a big part of the whole picture is the individual's immigration history including, in particular, how and why and with what classification and so on, the individual became a Permanent Resident in Canada.

In other words: sure, almost absolutely, yes,
Quote . . . the program under which a citizenship applicant obtained their PR [matters in the citizenship process].
It matters, at the minimum, contextually. And to some extent, the consistency of the details underlying the applicant's life in Canada, in consideration of what brought the applicant to Canada in the first place, are almost undoubtedly of import.

And that means it can matter positively or negatively. Like most factors.

The obvious way it will matter positively is if the rest of the applicant's information is consistent with that program, which in turn brings up the most obvious way it could matter negatively, as in, if there is something about the applicant's information that is inconsistent with the program. Someone sponsored to come to Manitoba who does not appear to actually have been living in Manitoba is almost certain to face some negative scrutiny. On the other hand, someone who had an offer of employment facilitating, in one way or another, their immigration to Canada, and whose information is consistent with actually having come to Canada and being employed by that employer, well, that is the sort of consistent, corroborating evidence that helps to positively bolster the impression made by the whole picture.

While this is largely common-sense, the question is an important one because it highlights something worth repeating and emphasizing: everything matters, all the details that make up the whole picture matter, but if any of the details are out-of-sorts (inconsistent) with the whole picture, they can matter even more, in a not-so-favourable way.

But, this also warrants some emphasis on the other side of this coin: The vast majority of applicants do not need to worry. Yes, every thing matters, and when all the parts, all the details, of what underlies everything, when all that fits well together, into one coherent story that makes sense, that almost certainly is a boost, almost certainly helps. Will this overcome checking-off one of the listed risk indicators (like unemployment or self-employment), that is very hard to say . . . wish I knew. To some extent, I think so, but beyond isolated reports indicating some individuals have applied in circumstances that check-off one or more of the enumerated risk indicators but did not get RQ, there is not much information we can safely rely on regarding this.

In turn, this leads to jogruni's remarks, including --
Quote jogruni:
Quote I do not share your optimism.
Foremost, I realize that. And I realize you are not alone.

Since we have exchanged observations and views in similar contexts before, though, I think jogruni understands that my perception is broad-based, not so much about how it will go in individual cases but how the process will go for the majority of applicants. The distinction that warrants some emphasis is that I have no idea about how things will go for jogruni in particular, or for any other individual who participates here. I am, likewise, not at all sure how things are going to unfold for me, though I have a lot more background information about myself so I have a better understanding about what is likely and what is possible, and how things will go depending on whether or not I am in fact given RQ.

And sure, there is cause for some of us to worry in this. Again, I am pretty confident that for the vast majority of applicants, the new RQ screening, pre-interview check, and post-RQ assessment process, is not going to affect their application processing much at all . . . the pre-interview check step may result in everyone having a longer timeline, but that will be by a couple months or so. But those of us at risk for RQ, sure, there is reason to worry.

And in this regard, jogruni is (I think) right, that the inquiries and approach underlying those inquiries are going to affect more than just those applicants with questionable cases, affecting well-qualified applicants whose circumstances just happen to trigger RQ based on the risk indicators. . . . and sure, the focus is indeed likely to be as jogruni stated:
Quote I might be pessimistic, but these additional information is only intended to raise questions and not confirm physical presence or residency. The result might be more cases will be scrutinized and more cases will be going through a longer process.

So, for a significant number, yes, there is reason to worry this could drag the well-qualified applicant into the long-haul process.

I remain confident, however, that the general, routine case, will not be dragged down this way.

And as jogruni emphasizes (what I too have acknoweledged), beyond that we really do not know how things are going to go.

For otherwise well-qualified applicants given pre-test RQ, however, we can fairly well discern that either all such applicants will be cast into the long-haul process (the nightmare, most pessimistic view), or there will be some step at which some RQ'd applicants are returned to (essentially) a paper review process versus the long-haul process. The latter is, I think, the more likely scenario, but again we do not know (this is what would be in line with previous processing, whereby some RQ'd applicants were returned to regular processing, the routine paper review process), and even if the process going forward does indeed involve a distinction between full-blown residency cases versus those to be referred for a paper review, we do not know what the scope of inquiry will be or how long it will take to reach that dividing stage.

My hope, and what I think will be the case (again acknowledging we do not know, cannot know at this point), is that this will take place in the pre-interview check and interview stage, so that at least a significant percentage of those applicants given pre-test RQ who are well-qualified, who appropriately respond to the RQ, and for whom there really is no reason to question their residency declarations, will be in-effect returned to the more-or-less routine processing track, for a paper review, such that a final decision will be forthcoming within months rather than more than a year.

Here is the rub, the problem, and this goes back to the recognition that how it goes for any applicant in particular depends on that applicant's case in particular: individual considerations will play a big role in this, and there are undoubtedly going to be those who fall on the harsh side of the dividing line despite being fully qualified. Some well-qualified applicants are likely to end up in the long-haul process, even if my "optimistic" view is how things go. Most will not. Some will. And, as jogruni apprehends, that some who will end up in the longer, more problematic processing group, will probably be a larger group than those who were suffering through the long-haul process in the past, up to this last year.

In this regard, while we do not know how various risk factors are weighed, the applicant who is given pre-test RQ (and those of us self-employed are almost certainly at risk here) who happens to continue to have substantial ties to his or her home country, or some other country, there is a greater risk their path will be the longer, more difficult one. Their response to RQ will have to report on those ties (like ownership of property abroad, for example) or risk serious sanctions (including their citizenship being forever at risk if they are successful in the short term), and . . . well, again, we do not know how the various factors are weighed, but the more ties and/or stronger ties one has outside Canada, the greater the risk of having to go the long-haul and difficult route.

This does not change how it is likely go for the majority. It does not change much how it will go for many of those who got RQ but were otherwise well-qualified, assuming they have fully settled in Canada and their continuing ties abroad are essentially incidental.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 4:29pm

Quote mason:
Quote I have heard that the new RQ forms are different from the old ones. If so what are the differences ?

Depends on which old version you are referring to.

The most recent version I have seen is the one issued in April this year: CIT 0171 (04-201). The differences between this version and one that was in use for several years prior to April have been discussed at length. A copy of the April version of the RQ form can also be obtained by email request for a copy of the ATI request (see "Completed Access to Information Requests" on CIC home page and follow links from there) made early this summer (most likely the one made by nwtspam).

Some participants here have reported that there is now a September version of the RQ form. To date, no one has highlighted any changes in the new RQ form. Someone else mentioned that the RQ form now has a provision whereby the applicant gives permission to CIC to obtain the CBSA travel history. I do not know if that reference was accurately referring to the September version of RQ or a recent version of the Citizenship application form which has incorporated such an authorization as an option. But that might very well explain why there is now the September version (noting that it looks like CBSA was overwhelmed this summer by travel history requests from RQ'd citizenship applicants, and including the authorization for CIC to get these reports directly makes a lot of sense). In any event, based on the limited reports here, it does not look like there are major changes to the RQ form in the September version versus the April version.

The gist of the RQ form, April version, is very similar to the previous versions but there are some very significant changes: the April version makes more specific requests for documents than the earlier version, for example, and specifically asks for a lot more information going back prior to the relevant four year period for those applicants who first came to live or who landed more than four years prior to applying for citizenship. Again, however, there is far more discussion about the April version changes in this topic . . . probably in June and July posts, if I recall correctly.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

Antre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 7:11pm
netghost View Drop Down

Thanks a lot for answering my questions. That helped a lot.

Concerning new RQ forms. I received CIT 0171 (09-2012) form. There is a part with consent to request SBCA report.  Do not know about other differences as have nothing to compare with.

Edited by Antre - 21 Oct 2012 at 7:12pm
Andrew2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 3:26pm
Well, for example stamps from Egypt have word Egypt in English on them, but they also have some words which are not in English. Do I need to translate all words on the stamp? Also it says that it has to be translated by accredited Canadian translator. I am not in Canada right now. Can I translate it somewhere else? 
akella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Andrew2012 Andrew2012 wrote:

Well, for example stamps from Egypt have word Egypt in English on them, but they also have some words which are not in English. Do I need to translate all words on the stamp?

Yes.

Quote Also it says that it has to be translated by accredited Canadian translator. I am not in Canada right now. Can I translate it somewhere else? 

It has to be done by a Canadian accredited translator as per RQ request. Find the one who will accept high-res scan of your documents for translation and will be willing to mail translation with translator affidavit to you internationally.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 3:52pm

Quote Andrew2012:
Quote Well, for example stamps from Egypt have word Egypt in English on them, but they also have some words which are not in English. Do I need to translate all words on the stamp? Also it says that it has to be translated by accredited Canadian translator. I am not in Canada right now. Can I translate it somewhere else?

The instructions are straightforward: anything not in English or French is supposed to be translated.

The RQ form instructions for translations are more stringent than what is required generally (for application and documents presented at the test-interview). Follow the instructions in the RQ form you were given!

I would note: people often do not follow all instructions to the letter. Failing to follow the instructions to the letter does not disqualify an applicant. So, the extent to which one has failed to follow instructions, and the practical impact of what in particular the applicant failed to properly do, varies, probably varies a great deal, and so the effect it has will undoubtedly vary. A failure to provide a translation as specified, as requested, may or not may not have a significant impact on the assessement. And of course, this too, like most things, is undoubtedly considered in context.

Best practice, as I said, is to fully follow the instructions given to you.

But people often have to make compromises and deal with the risks associated with the choices they make.

The rub in your case is that being abroad while your application is in process is, in itself, one of those factors which might tend to elevate the scrutiny, even skepticism, and lead to a longer process. How long you are abroad, where, why, and so on, probably matters, so it is impossible to guess how much an impact being abroad will have for you in particular. And likewise, how much it might make things more difficult if you submit your response with a translation that is not by an accredited translator, that too it is very difficult to predict. Bottom-line: if you are abroad for an extended time, for a purpose other than something that is clearly, on its face, temporary, then you are likely to face the long-haul RQ process anyway, so some relatively minor additional reasons to be viewed more skeptically are probably not all that significant in the whole scheme of things . . . that is, there would seem to be a fair prospect of having to wait to see the citizenship judge in person and when that happens, the outcome will depend on how strong your main case is, how well you documented establishing and maintaining residence in Canada, along with being actually physically present, for three years plus in the relevant time frame.

freedom10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freedom10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 8:41pm
Thanks

Edited by freedom10 - 21 May 2013 at 6:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 536537538539540 705>
  Share Topic