Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RQ discussions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 705>
Author
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbit_TO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 8:14am
Oh yeah, Jeizan, that's the one.  On this one, in regards to the CO request for additional documentation après the decision, with a view to supply ammunition for the Minister's appeal, I think the applicant  should have responded (to paraphrase Col. Jessup in A Few Good Men Wink ):

You want to appeal?  Well, roll the dice and take your chances.

Since the appeals are not de novo trials, and thus are limited to the record that was before the judge when the decision was made I wonder if the Minister could even subpoena additional records - I haven't seen any mention of this.  I think this is a stunning example of bad faith on the part of the CO to mislead the applicant into providing additional information without disclosing that the decision has already been made.

Edited by timbit_TO - 12 Dec 2010 at 8:17am
dontmindhelping View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontmindhelping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 8:40am
Originally posted by timbit_TO timbit_TO wrote:

Oh yeah, Jeizan, that's the one.  On this one, in regards to the CO request for additional documentation après the decision, with a view to supply ammunition for the Minister's appeal, I think the applicant  should have responded (to paraphrase Col. Jessup in A Few Good Men Wink ):

You want to appeal?  Well, roll the dice and take your chances.

Since the appeals are not de novo trials, and thus are limited to the record that was before the judge when the decision was made I wonder if the Minister could even subpoena additional records - I haven't seen any mention of this.  I think this is a stunning example of bad faith on the part of the CO to mislead the applicant into providing additional information without disclosing that the decision has already been made.

Perhaps the officer was requesting additional information that had not been requested by the judge, in order to make a better informed decision to grant the application. Based on the information that was handed, perhaps the officer decided to request for an appeal because the information may have confirmed the applicant had more serious residency issues than expected....

timbit_TO View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbit_TO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 9:15am
The Minister can either grant citizenship pursuant to the decision of the CJ or appeal it.  That is the only decision for the Minister to make.  The CO's residency concerns should have been put before the judge.  It appears they were not.  The CJ heard the case and made his ruling based on the evidence that was before him.   The Minister is well within his rights to appeal it, it if he so desired, but he should not have tricked the applicant into supplying additional information to build his appeal.

The burden to make a case on appeal is the Minister's.  The applicant has no duty to assist him in this pursuit.

Edited by timbit_TO - 12 Dec 2010 at 9:26am
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 10:11am
Don't you think the applicant supplied the information because s/he thought it would help rather than make it worse? Why would the applicant provide more proof which goes against the positive decision in the first place?
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontmindhelping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 11:43am
  The Minister is well within his rights to appeal it, it if he so desired, but he should not have tricked the applicant into supplying additional information to build his appeal.

The burden to make a case on appeal is the Minister's.  The applicant has no duty to assist him in this pursuit.
[/QUOTE]

In the case you are mentioning, was it clear that the officer tricked the applicant in any way, or as I said earlier, was it perhaps that the officer wanted to be sure of his decision before granting the applicant?
timbit_TO View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbit_TO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 12:37pm
It's pretty clear to me.  As canvis2006 pointed out it is very hard to believe that the applicant would have continued to supply information had she been informed that the judge approved her application.  That fact appears to have been concealed from her.

To reiterate, it's not the officer's (and by extension, the Minister's) decision to approve or not approve the application, it's the judge's.  The Minister's decision is either to grant citizenship or to appeal.

On second thought, I kind of see the flip side argument, that the CO could have been looking for information that would have weighed in favor of not appealing, even though on the face the facts may have warranted an appeal.  I tend to think that was probably not the case, with the determinative issue being disclosing or not disclosing the judge's approval.

If the applicant provided the information after being advised that their application was approved by the judge, but the Minister was contemplating an appeal, that would be a whole different matter.

Edited by timbit_TO - 12 Dec 2010 at 12:53pm
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontmindhelping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Ben Ben wrote:

Interesting!

When we was waiting after the test we asked the officer (the same who checked our file) if he could check on our test and he said OK and when he was back he was smiling and said that we both passed the test and gave us his hand.

Ben, what exactly does the letter say? What type of hearing is it? When did you submit the RQ? Is it possible the hearing your wife has is a residence hearing and has nothing to do with Knowledge or Language?
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 12:57pm
If there's a judge hearing it is better to order the "Naturalization notes" using form IMM5563B in order to get a good grasp of the real reason, unless it's because of 2 failed test attempts.
The main thing though is, that it takes 4-6 weeks to get the file notes.
Most applicants do not even know this, and sometimes by the time they receive them its normally too late.
Did the applicant(s) in these cases know about their file notes?
timbit_TO View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbit_TO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by canvis2006 canvis2006 wrote:

Most applicants do not even know this, and sometimes by the time they receive them its normally too late.

Is it not possible to request an adjournment in a situation when the delay is attributed to CIC?  There was a case where a woman's application was turned down because of a delay in OHIP records being supplied by MHLTC, but she appears not to have properly notified the judge of the delay, if I recall correctly she made the mistake of thinking that advising the call center was sufficient...
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontmindhelping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 1:05pm

To reiterate, it's not the officer's (and by extension, the Minister's) decision to approve or not approve the application, it's the judge's.  The Minister's decision is either to grant citizenship or to appeal.

not sure why you wish to reiterate this point...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 705>
  Share Topic