Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RQ discussions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 681682683684685 705>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

where these notices are apparently being received about two weeks after CIC indicates the date of mailing . . .

I received my first letter 5 days after the date on the letter, the second one was received on 30th. It's dated the 20th and postmarked the 23rd.

No mention of CIT 0521 on my ecas. On another forum someone reported that a Call Centre agent told them that 25,000 of these letters went out in December. If this is the case, I personally doubt the form means very much.
Resources for Future Canadians & their Advocates: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com
anya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 8:20am
I received the same letter dated Dec. 23
Newbie_CAN_US View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie_CAN_US Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 9:20am
I received the same letter yesterday dated, Dec 23.
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by canuck25 canuck25 wrote:

Originally posted by rickykumar3 rickykumar3 wrote:

Can someone send a link to apply for ATIP.. Also approximately how much time it takes after applying.

It takes, usually, 3-5 weeks.

I got an automated email from: noreply  @  atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca after submitting request with the following phrase: "Your temporary request tracking number is XXXXX. After your request has been registered, a new number will be assigned to your request."

Do I get to know a perm request number before they send a final response or that's all I get for now?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie_CAN_US Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 3:52pm
What is an ATIP?Why would you use an ATIP vs. the online status check?Is there any difference?

For all the folks that got these letters, are you now preparing for the test so that when the two week deadline hits, you are ready?

EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Newbie_CAN_US Newbie_CAN_US wrote:

What is an ATIP?Why would you use an ATIP vs. the online status check?Is there any difference?

ATIP has a lot more stuff than an almost useless online status. Check this post, a "code" window.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie_CAN_US Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 4:05pm
Thank You. :)
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Newbie_CAN_US Newbie_CAN_US wrote:

For all the folks that got these letters, are you now preparing for the test so that when the two week deadline hits, you are ready?

That letter has been yet another facepalm from CIC. They should've called it "Acknowledgement or RQ receipt" or something like that, not a "Notice to prepare for Citizenship exam". Now thousands will turn to a booklet in false hope of fast RQ resolution only to be disenchanted one more time later. Time enough needed to prepare for a test is a week maximum. Anything beyond that would be excessive or ineffective. So, forget about preparing until you get a real test letter, it'd be waste of your time.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 5:16pm

Observations:

While the information provided in the forum linked above by EasyRider is interesting, the individual posting that information emphatically stated that it amounted to learning nothing about his case.

And almost all reports regarding what has been obtained by ATIP requests tend to illustrate that beyond confirming some particular activity taken on the file, which can be assumed to be the case anyway for all but the extremely rare case where an application has fallen through some bureaucratic crack, little is learned that a perceptive applicant cannot mostly figure out without making the ATIP application, and virtually nothing is learned which will change anything, which will illuminate any action the applicant should take.

Moreover, to some extent it can lead to confusion for some. I am sure that many of the entries/designations are defaults pending some next action, and thus do not really reflect what is apparently indicated. That is, they indicate what might happen unless an action along the way alters that. For example, notation that a hearing is required is likely, often, to be a default and does not necessarily indicate there will be a hearing, more along the lines that a hearing will be scheduled unless a there is a decision in the meantime to refer the case for a file review. "Pending" notations do not mean there is a step or decision or such actually pending, but rather that is a step in the process not reached yet. Reference to the residence calculation being "complete" does not mean there has been a determination as to whether or not the applicant met the residency requirement (I think it merely means that the applicant's residency calculation has been examined, not assessed).

Bottom-line: there is usually little or nothing in these reports which will substantively help an applicant navigate the process.

That said: yes, the responses to ATIP applications have resulted in some applicants receiving information which is helpful to our general understanding of the process. So some of these which have been shared here are very much appreciated. Best example: our only version of the File Requirements Checklist came in a response to an individual's ATIP application, and that opened lots of windows, put lots of other fragments of information into context.

But for most individual applicants, most of the time the calls to the call centre and ATIP requests are a waste of time and an unnecessary burden on the system.

By the way: I agree with the dismissive, perhaps even derisive characterizations of the CIT 0521 letter. And talk about an unnecessary waste of CIC resources (especially the double mailing). I think, and hope, that these letters reflect that CIC is feeling, and responding to, pressure to better and more timely process its now huge inventory of pre-test RQ'd cases, but as for the letters themselves, I can only shake my head.

That said: I disagree with the view that preparing for the test should be limited to a typical exam-prep. If one's sole objective is to pass the citizenship test, sure, for those well-fluent in English or French, a week is plenty of time to prepare. A few hours of study should be plenty. It is not comlicated or deep stuff. But we are talking about becoming Citizens and the objective underlying the testing process is to encourage prospective citizens to learn more about this country, its people, its heritage, its laws, its values, its government. It is important to be engaged in learning this stuff all along, to be curious, to be interested and excited to know more about the country one has chosen to make their permanent home. I am probably among a very small minority, but I think the minimalist approach (just meeting the minimum requirements) to becoming a citizen of Canada is itself not particularly Canadian; there is a big difference between the arrogant pride Americans too loudly proclaim regarding their country, but to be Canadian is at least in part to share a broad-based, diverse, rich and multifaceted sense of national identity in which there is an element of cultured, nuanced pride (not arrogant pride).

Let me make this observation: any one who thinks that if they go to an in-person hearing with a Citizenship Judge for a residency issue, the CJ will not be influenced by the extent to which the applicant appears to be Canadianized or not Canadianized, is fooling himself. Anyone who thinks that the extent to which the applicant is Canadianized is not readily apparent to a CJ is fooling himself.

This is not about a particular requirement for citizenship qualification, not even about any particular factor; it is about the impression a person makes, and whether the CJ finds the individual to be credible or not.

Let's just say: it shows, it is a significant part of the impression the applicant makes, and it can influence things.

In other words, it is probably no coincidence that those who harbour disdain for things Canadian (including its laws and government) are often among those encountering difficulty in the process.

Note: this is not to characterize all RQ'd applicants, nor even all applicants who run into difficulties which lead to extraordinary delays and hearings and so on. It is mostly to note that it should be no surprise for those who are not particularly invested in truly becoming Canadians that they are among those who CIC and CJs might be inclined to scrutinize and doubt, to not lean favourably toward.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
twocats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 5:24pm
Any thoughts of what it may mean when an RQ recipient does not receive a Notice to Prepare (the new form) when everybody else with similar timelines and submission dates reported getting it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 681682683684685 705>
  Share Topic