Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timeline from Decision Made

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timeline from Decision Made
    Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 8:02pm

Hi,
My PR renewal application status finally changed to Decision Made sometime over the last few weeks (December 2014).
Generally how long does it take to:
1. Receive confirmation letter whether my renewal is approved or rejected? Will I be notified by mail?
2. Receive renewed PR card in the mail?

Will renewed PR card be sent by mail since I submitted a Canadian address?
Under what reasons will they request someone to pick up the card in person instead?
If I have to pick up in person and I can't make it to a CIC office within 180 days, can I request for a later date? or will they destroy my card regardless and I will have to reapply?

And is there anyway to contact the CIC from overseas? I live abroad with a Canadian citizen husband.

Thanks for your help.
D.

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 1:53pm

Originally posted by debbiewy debbiewy wrote:

My PR renewal application status finally changed to Decision Made sometime over the last few weeks (December 2014).
Generally how long does it take to:
1. Receive confirmation letter whether my renewal is approved or rejected? Will I be notified by mail?
2. Receive renewed PR card in the mail?

Will renewed PR card be sent by mail since I submitted a Canadian address?
Under what reasons will they request someone to pick up the card in person instead?
If I have to pick up in person and I can't make it to a CIC office within 180 days, can I request for a later date? or will they destroy my card regardless and I will have to reapply?

And is there anyway to contact the CIC from overseas? I live abroad with a Canadian citizen husband.

I do not know how this will unfold, particularly, in your actual situation, and thus cannot guess at the timelines.

I can only caution, however, that CIC appears to employ a number of processing practices to avoid issuing new/replacement PR cards to PRs living abroad, even though the PR has complied with the PR Residency Obligation (such as through credit for time accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse abroad).

CIC will not mail the PR card to an address outside Canada.

Generally CIC will not mail a PR card to a representative's address, if of course CIC identifies an address as not the applicant's actual residential address. (What happens in an actual case varies depending on the circumstances.)

The last I noticed (time flies and it has been at least awhile), generally CIC would not mail notice to pick up the PR card to a representative's address either.

While not absolutely definite, generally CIC will not extend the time within which to pick up the PR card due to the PR being abroad.   

Reminders:

-- PR status is not dependent on possession of a valid PR card.

-- Generally CIC only issues and delivers new/replacement cards to PRs in Canada (technically the fact that a PR is abroad is not grounds for denying issuance of a new/replacement PR card, but again CIC employs a number of practices to avoid delivering cards to PRs who are not residing in Canada).

-- Generally a PR living abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse (accompanying a citizen spouse) should not attempt to apply for a new/replacement PR card until actually residing in Canada. PR status is not compromised even though the PR does not have a valid PR card. (Yes, this imposes some inconvenience for most PRs living abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse, and this can be very inconvenient for a PR whose passport is not visa-exempt and who thus would have to apply for a PR Travel Document for each and every trip to Canada, but this preference is CIC's policy.)

-- Because there is no detrimental impact on a PR's status due to the expiration of the PR card, it is foolish for a Canadian PR who is in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, despite living abroad, to risk making misrepresentations, such as to actual place of residence or failing to disclose a representative (even if just a representative for purposes of receiving mail), in an attempt to obtain a new/replacement PR card.

Regarding contacting CIC from abroad: sometimes email works. Designating an authorized representative in Canada will allow your representative to contact CIC on your behalf.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic