Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Applicants applying from Sydney, Australia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 37>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the big burp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 6:54pm
hi guys

thanks for your good wishes. i havent heard if our SIN cards have come yet, it took more than a week so far but there was xmas in between. thnx for the info re PR card ozzieboy, but i expect it to take at least 1 month since everything takes longer after xmas.

we had a great time in canada, the canadian people are great. just went to ny city and that was good but had some extremely windy and cold weather....brrrr.... were now thinking vancouver is the best option...but we'll see. we will be beased in aus for another 1.5 yrs to get my hubby aus citizenship and then we will move. will be glad to hear how things go for all my fellow ppr applicants and pr's

benlav, canada gives you 1 year to enter canada from the date of your medicals and then from that date you are a PR and need to fulfil the residency requirements. which is to stay in canada for 2 out of a rolling 5 year period to keep pr.

engin - interesting that you had to get quebec selection certificate...we landed in montreal and didnt have to get csq but we gave an address in ontario for pr card and told the lady we would base ourselves there. we even applied for our SIN cards in montreal without a csq :-)
out of interest, what did you have to do to get csq?

happy new year to everyone
engin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 4:36pm

I had been working in Montreal for last 1.5 years and had shown a Montreal address on COPR, that is why they asked me to get CSQ at the last minute. It costed $390, took 10 days, and I just scraped past the minimum points.

the big burp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the big burp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 6:14pm
good to know engin. I didnt know you were in montreal...otherwise we could have met up. do you speak french at all? my hubby is starting to teach me french now but he gets a little frustrated with me and my aussie accent ;-)

do u like living in montreal?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the big burp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 4:32am
Smile
ozzieboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozzieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 3:52am
hello bigburp,

Did you get your PR cards? My cousin has mailed our cards to us. How cold is it in Toronto and the East Coast in general? Funny, we went to Vancouver for landing and now thinking to move to toronto and you are thinking eaxctly opposite. Is it so bad (weather)? Your PR cards should not be that far. Good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the big burp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 5:30am
hi ozzieboy, yeah we are thinking about moving to vancouver now as everyone said how good it is. the weather in toronto is ok, much colder than aus and when its windy it feels really cold but we had between -2 and 2 degree weather everywhere in canada except for one night in montreal when it was -12.

toronto is good, i like it but it does feel much bigger than sydney. no doubt there are probably more job opportunities there.

no i havent got my pr cards yet...they should come any day now since it says 30 days on the website but may take longer due to xmas and new year holidays.

looked at ecas and it says where and when i landed and became a perm. resident.
engin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 2:36pm
Montreal is OK but I would rather live in an English-speaking province as I do not know any French. I am still waiting for my PR card to arrive - it has been exactly one month now. Toronto is indeed much bigger than Sydney but probably not as glossy. TBB have you started your job hunt now?

Edited by engin - 18 Jan 2010 at 2:37pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the big burp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 5:06am
thx for the ffedback engin - we really loved montreal but as i dont speak french we are looking at settling elsewhere.

not started the job hunt - wanting to get some more experience here in another position and then go. applied for a maternity leave position which would fit in well with our plans. the idea was to get my hubby aus citizenship but they are taking forever to process his (spouse) pr visa and they said upto 8 mths to process it so we'll see what happens as our plans may change depending what happens.
ata3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ata3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 5:29pm
Hi Ozzieboy,

My family and I landed on the 11th December, My son and I received our pr cards but my husband didn't. I noticed your situation was similar; how long after did your wife receive hers in the mail?

ozzieboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozzieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 4:16am
Hello ata3

Our relative made a mistake and said it was my and my son's PR card that arrived initially. It was my wife's and son's PR cards that came in first and my PR card followed them a week later. Your husband's should not be that far away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 37>
  Share Topic