Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My husband (sponsor) hasn't filed taxes in 10 year
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My husband (sponsor) hasn't filed taxes in 10 year

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deathandtaxes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My husband (sponsor) hasn't filed taxes in 10 year
    Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 6:50pm
My husband and I have a bit of a problem on our hands. We got married earlier this summer and I knew about his tax situation - he is a freelancer who hasn't paid taxes in 10 years. We didn't think it would affect his ability to sponsor me, until we saw that his tax paperwork is required in the application. My temporary resident status expires on Dec 25 of this year, and we're about to send in my paperwork.

As I understand it, he can write a letter (in lieu of his tax papers) explaining his situation. I'd like to know if something like this has happened to anyone here and how to proceed next. Is he in jeopardy of not being able to sponsor me? Thanks!
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 3:04pm
I think there is no option but to get the Option C printout, which means he would need to file tax returns, and these returns will need to show sufficient income as per minimum threshold, so it is safe to assume there will also be some tax outstanding and such.

I don't think CIC will say "Ah, we understand, he simply does not want to pay $5K to CRA and CPP for the last year, so he does not want to file the return, but we will surely believe that he has enough money to support his family".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic