Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H&C PR application

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 302303304305306 570>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nadel1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 4:38pm
Hi ladylin,what kind of establishment and family ties do you have in canada?my spousal application was also refused and I filed for h and c.will be very happy if u can share please
Nadel1997 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nadel1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 4:40pm
Hi deatinetown,what kind of family ties and establishment do u have in canada?my spousal application was also refused and I filed for h and c.will be very grateful if u can share
DESTINETOWIN1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DESTINETOWIN1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 4:45pm
Hey guys i found this just now. It might be long to read, but there might be something in it to help someone. All the best.

Lessons from a Recent Federal Court Review of a Humanitarian and Compassionate Application

Earlier this month the Federal Court released its decision in Babafunmi[1], allowing the application for judicial review and ordering that the Applicant’s application for permanent residence on humanitarian and compassionate grounds (“H & C”) and a Temporary Residence Permit be redetermined by a different officer. This recent case serves as a reminder of the approach that decision-makers should take when reviewing an H & C application involving criminality, rehabilitation and the best interests of the child (“BIOC”).

Mr. Babafunmi was a Nigerian citizen who had studied and worked in the USA for several years prior to being deported to Nigeria for criminality. He later travelled to Canada to make a refugee claim based on fears tied to his time in Nigeria. The claim was refused and so were applications for a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment, sponsorship by his spouse/common-law partner from within Canada and criminal rehabilitation.

Justice E. Susan Elliott began her analysis by rejecting the respondent’s argument that rehabilitation factors fall outside the scope of a judicial review of a H & C application, noting:

I agree that an H&C application is not at all the same as a rehabilitation application. Nonetheless, the Officer did engage in an analysis of the Applicant’s criminality and his rehabilitation determining that they were “significant negative factors” in the Officer’s assessment of the H&C application. It is therefore necessary to determine whether the Decision, including the criminality and rehabilitation findings, is justified, transparent and intelligible and that the outcome falls within the range of possible acceptable outcomes defensible on the facts and law in light of the record before the Officer.[2]

The Court held that when reviewing the H & C application of an individual who has prior criminality and has provided evidence of rehabilitation, the officer must balance both “the positive and negative factors” as well as “consider the likelihood of the Applicant re-offending”.[3] The Court relied on Lau v. Canada[4] as authority for the proposition that the likelihood of re-offending is the most important factor in an application for rehabilitation.[5]

Turning to the BIOC, Mr. Babafunmi submitted that several children would be directly affected by his removal to Nigeria. The officer had adopted the following position on two of these children – the Applicant’s Canadian godchildren:

“their best interests would not be significantly negatively impacted by the Applicant being returned to Nigeria and they could strive to maintain their close relationship by other means.”[6]

The Court found the officer had erred in the BIOC analysis by failing to consider the best interests of the Applicant’s godchildren going forward.[7] The officer, in Justice Elliot’s view had not followed the approach of the Supreme Court of Canada in Kanthasamy[8] and Baker[9].

Those preparing or reviewing an H & C application can draw on the lessons and cases referred to in Babafunmi when preparing or reviewing an H & C application that may raise questions of the Applicant’s likelihood of reoffending or the best interests of a child who may be directly affected by the decision.
DESTINETOWIN1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DESTINETOWIN1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 5:01pm
@Nadel1997

Alot of my family lives in Canada, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nephew and cousins (about 20 all together). My only sibling is a Canadian Citizen and He took sick and was dependent on me... my grandfather passed away 3 years ago. Had to prove that too.

I had to prove to prove establishment via hospital records, psychology reports, letters from the family, my child teachers and friends along with lots of pictures. I also volunteered at Canadian Cancer Society.

We know each case is different but try and provide as much as you can. They like it when your not on welfare but I was rebuked for working without a permit...I had to explained I had to work to support my child.

DELROYSEH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DELROYSEH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 5:22pm
Great!!!! My husband and I also apply for h&c under establishment and best interest of a child also hardship back home. February 14th 2019 gone make 6 years since we are in Canada. Also our application was also based on a family business that we started about 2years now, no update yet, but my God grace am looking forward for approve. Fingers cross for all who still waiting

Edited by DELROYSEH - 22 Feb 2019 at 5:23pm
Nadel1997 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nadel1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 6:17pm
Thanks for sharing
ladylin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladylin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Nadel1997 Nadel1997 wrote:

Hi ladylin,what kind of establishment and family ties do you have in canada?my spousal application was also refused and I filed for h and c.will be very happy if u can share please

@ Nadel,  i have been here for 14 years, I have schooled and never done anything illegal. i have my sister here who is a permanent resident, Lost my parents and would be hard if i went back to my country as all my sibling are married and no one at home, and No parent. I pray everything works out for you Nadel. I pray you get all info u need.
halmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 2:57am
@destinetowin1 congrats, it only took 19mths from receiving application to landing. Wow
Real Canadian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Real Canadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 8:53am
Anyone with updates for h&c applications made in 2018 mine was Recieved on May 12, 2018 still not in process been 9 going on 10 months (our application. Is based on best interest of 2 Canadian born kids one of which has autism, establishment and persecution)
Amazingtimchloe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazingtimchloe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Real Canadian Real Canadian wrote:

Anyone with updates for h&c applications made in 2018 mine was Recieved on May 12, 2018 still not in process been 9 going on 10 months (our application. Is based on best interest of 2 Canadian born kids one of which has autism, establishment and persecution)

Hi I applied February 2018 and until now not in process already 1 year
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 302303304305306 570>
  Share Topic