Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Study Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driving and bringing belongings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lelani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driving and bringing belongings
    Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 2:56pm
My boyfriend from the USA has been accepted into University here and is currently working on getting his Student Visa.  We're hoping to have the Visa done before he even gets here.  I plan to fly down there, help him with his belongings (clothes, tv, PC, etc.), say goodbye to his family and friends, and then both of us drive back up to Canada with his car. 

I'm wondering if anyone knows if this would be a problem (driving up with his car that he plans to use here as well as all his things), what to expect, and/or what can be done to reduce the amount of issues passing through.  Would it be a problem that I am driving back with him?  I'm new to this and not really sure what to expect.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:20am
You have to plan this out carefully.

If your boyfriend tries to cross the border with a car full of personal belongings, the agents will likely assume that he is coming to Canada long term.

This will make sense if he already has a student visa. However if he tries to cross with a car full of belongings before he has a valid student visa (i.e. just as a visitor), this won't make sense and could lead to problems - and possibly a denial to enter the country.

Long story short, it's my two cents that he shouldn't try the crossing until he has a valid student visa. If he tries to cross earlier, I think he's risking a refusal. Again, just my opinion.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
lelani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lelani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 3:01pm
Thank you for the reply, Scylla!  I've talked to him about it and asked him to mail off his student visa app today, which he has.  We hope to have an approval before June comes which is when he'll be ready to make the drive up here.  However, I've heard from others that they were not able to get a student visa approved because they tried to apply for it 3 months before the start of classes and was only able to get it approved a week before the start of classes.  Would you or anyone else know if this is this true?  The only significant difference is the one that got denied a visa for applying too early was trying to apply at the border whereas my boyfriend is mailing in his application.  Not sure if this makes a difference or not...
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 3:24pm
Hi Lelani - Sorry, I don't know very much about the student visa application process and time lines. Hopefully someone else will be able to jump in and help. Good luck!
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
matthewc View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 10:49am
I'd imagine that they denied that person at the border, because it was clear that school wasn't starting yet, and they didn't clearly explain that they wanted to visit first, get settled, then study. It's more normal to apply by mail far in advance, so I wouldn't worry, as long as he meets all the other requirements.

Coming up to study for a year or more, it's understandable that he would have a significant quantify of possessions with him, at least what would be considered "normal" for a student to move with. Stick to studying being the main reason he's there, especially if they start asking lots of questions about your relationship.
e-CAS Tracker - Get notified when your e-CAS changes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic