Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody heard of this???!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaisomal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody heard of this???!
    Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 10:10am
I am getting ready to send off my outland spousal. application for PR. I have been in Canada for almost 5 years on study and work permits. I called CIC to find out why it is taking so long to mail the forms so they tell me they have a backlog etc. She then asks me why am I applying outland when I'm in Canada? I told her I know if you are here legally for at least one year, you can apply outland and it will or can get processed in Buffalo. She goes on to tell me that a lot of people are doing this and their cases are getting transferred to their countries of origin because they are taking advantage of a system that was not meant for them and their cases are taking longer to process. Anybody ever heard of this?

She's saying I should apply inland even though it takes longer. Who would want that? I am not from a visa exempt country and I DO want a right of appeal if it (unfortunately) comes to that. My work permit is valid through to next year June so the OWP that comes with inland will not benefit me in any way.

Anybody heard of this? Now I am second guessing my decision to apply outland. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edited by jamaisomal - 29 Mar 2010 at 10:10am
Application sent May 13, 2010
Started processing July 22, 2010.
Decision made March 7, 2011
Landed April 13th 2011
The whole process took exactly 11 months!
dpausuri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpausuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 11:22am
Hello,

I had called CIC couple of times with this same question, and told both ways:
1) If you are in Canada, you should apply from within, but know that you cannot travel for however long it takes
2) Someone else said, you can apply from your home country..

I would also like to make sure things have not changed and we can still apply from India (passport country), when I have lived in USA for the past 11 years and am currently in Canada!!

Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 11:24am
I'm going outland.

Inland - the whole process takes longer to complete - but there is the benefit of being able to get an open work permit once your receive AIP (Approval In Principle).  On an inland app, you also have to consider possible travel restrictions (i.e. you may or may not be permitted to re-enter Canada if you leave), and you lose the right of appeal.

Outland - the process is generally shorter end-to-end, but there's no AIP (as far as I know).  You maintain the right of appeal, and it's less likely that you'll be denied re-entry to Canada - providing you have a valid TRV/work permit/study permit.

redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 11:54am
She actually has no right to tell you that you should be applying inland, in doing so, she is actually telling you, you are in Canada, therefore you lose your right to appeal.

So my personal advice is this......... take no notice, file it outland, its your right to do so.
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
Jarome_Turner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarome_Turner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by redeagle redeagle wrote:

She actually has no right to tell you that you should be applying inland, in doing so, she is actually telling you, you are in Canada, therefore you lose your right to appeal.

So my personal advice is this......... take no notice, file it outland, its your right to do so.

^This.

Sounds like you got the personal opinion of a disgruntled CIC worker. I wouldn't take this as an indication of a shifting policy. Apply outland, the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.
jamaisomal View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaisomal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 1:34pm
Thanks for the response guys. I read up on immigration everyday so for a while I thought something new happened and I missed it lol. The OWP which she kept pointing out does not apply to me since I have a PGWP valid till next June. The way she was sounding made me think she doesn't really like when spouses living in Canada apply outland .

I read here all the time the non-US residents whose applications get processed in Buffalo take longer the US residents. Does anyone here have any experience with that or know of anyone? I know Buffalo's timelines are quick but I am not a US citizen. I hope it doesn't processed in my home country because their time lines are long right now.
Landed April 13th 2011
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 1:36pm
She probably didnt get any the morning you called, thats why she is pissed that you are with your spouse
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaisomal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by redeagle redeagle wrote:

She probably didnt get any the morning you called, thats why she is pissed that you are with your spouse

redeagle you crack me up! BTW... got the application kits in the mailbox today. Backlog cleared lol. I just didn't want to finish my ink printing the forms cos I will be doing a lot of printing for other areas of the application.

Yes. I really think she's taking it personal
Landed April 13th 2011
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 1:55pm
Think I used 3 packs of paper, God knows how much ink, all with stupid mistakes, double check before you hit the print button.
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaisomal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 3:08pm
Any non-US residents apply for spousal sponsorship via Buffalo and want to share a timeline?
Landed April 13th 2011
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic