Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eligibility for Citizenship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jilljac1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eligibility for Citizenship
    Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 7:52am
Hello,

My name is Jillian and I am looking into my eligibility for Canadian citizenship. I have been doing some research, and perhaps I am incorrect in thinking I qualify.

My mother is a Canadian citizen by birth, born to two American parents (though her father lived and worked in Canada for a number of years and later refused citizenship.) She however moved in the 60s to the United States of America, and became a naturalized citizen (while retaining Canadian citizenship.) She gave birth to me in 1992 in the United States and I am of course an American citizen, as is my father (born and raised U.S.) 

According to what I've been reading on the internet I should be eligible to inherit citizenship from my mother who has always been a citizen. However, my concern rests in her naturalized dual citizenship with the U.S. Not sure if anyone would be able to help me with this. Thank you for the time!

-Jillian
canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 9:49am
Hi Jillian,

Yes, you should be fully eligible to take advantage of your Canadian citizenship since your mother was born in Canada and is a Canadian citizen by birth.

Cheers,
Canuck25
jilljac1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jilljac1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 10:20am
Canuck25,

Thank you so much!
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 2:06pm

Originally posted by jilljac1 jilljac1 wrote:

My mother is a Canadian citizen by birth, born to two American parents (though her father lived and worked in Canada for a number of years and later refused citizenship.) She however moved in the 60s to the United States of America, and became a naturalized citizen (while retaining Canadian citizenship.) She gave birth to me in 1992 in the United States and I am of course an American citizen, as is my father (born and raised U.S.)

I do not think there is enough information to draw a definitive conclusion as to your status vis-à-vis Canadian citizenship.

To become a naturalized U.S. citizen prior to the last decade the U.S. required the renunciation of all other citizenships. That is not to say the requirement was universally or even strictly enforced, otherwise there would be a definitive conclusion, in the negative.

On the other hand if your mother has had a Canadian passport, particularly one issued some years after she became a U.S. citizen, then you can be quite certain she retained her Canadian citizenship, and you could conclude you also have Canadian citizenship. Similarly if she has had a certificate of Canadian citizenship issued after she became a naturalized U.S. citizen.

Hard to say from the information you provide, but my impression is that your mother moved to the states while still a child. (Regarding her American father: it is no surprise that an American living and working in Canada would decline to become a Canadian citizen back then, since until the later part of the 70s Canada also required the renunciation of all other citizenships in order to become a Canadian citizen, which is to say he would have had to give up his American citizenship in order to become a Canadian.) During that period of time, individuals in situations similar to that of your mother were required to make a formal election (with the Canadian government) . . . I forget by what age . . . in order to retain Canadian citizenship. The confidence with which you state that your mother retained her Canadian citizenship suggests she did that, but if she did not then the law governing Canadian citizenship gets a little more complicated (and indeed there are provisions in Bill C-24 which were adopted to take effect retroactively to address some of the bugs in the various statutory provisions which have been adopted over the years to resolve a myriad of variable circumstances). I do not know these provisions well enough to even begin offering observations about how they would impact the child of a person in the circumstances you describe.

There is also some incongruity underlying your account of the facts, since as the child of American parents, she would have been an American citizen by birth, no need to become a naturalized citizen in the U.S.

In any event, however, finding out definitively is relatively easy, by applying to CIC for proof of Canadian citizenship.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
jilljac1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jilljac1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 2:21pm
dpenabill,

Thank you that is very informative. And I have a number of questions for my mother regarding the details of her citizenship (unfortunately we currently live on different continents.) The reason she was naturalized was that she was born into Canada, and lived there the first 10 years of her life before moving to the US and acquiring citizenship. Does that still sound incorrect?

I know she has not had a Canadian passport in some years. I wonder if her applying for a passport might be the most swift route for answers? Or her requesting a certificate of citizenship if she does not still have one in her possession? As the process time for citizenship applications appears to take years, and a fairly substantial application fee.

Another concern I have is that I do not, nor have not lived in Canada. Of course much of what is on the internet is directed towards permanent residents of Canada looking to gain citizenship. I'm not sure if I would need to be residing in Canada permanently, or any specific length of time, or ever to apply. 

Thank you for the help, I know this sounds knit-picky, but I want to have all the facts prior to applying. 

-Jillian
mini_k View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 3:36pm
It might be very helpful to read the Canadian Nationality Law. There are different routes to become a citizen including by birth, by descent, by naturalization, and adoption. Naturalization and descent are two completely different things with completely different requirements. There is a requirement to reside if you are planning to become a Canadian citizen through naturalization, but for that you will need to become a permanent resident first.

That is if you are not a citizen by descent.

Edited by mini_k - 08 Oct 2014 at 4:34pm
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 4:47pm

Originally posted by jilljac1 jilljac1 wrote:

Thank you that is very informative. And I have a number of questions for my mother regarding the details of her citizenship (unfortunately we currently live on different continents.) The reason she was naturalized was that she was born into Canada, and lived there the first 10 years of her life before moving to the US and acquiring citizenship. Does that still sound incorrect?

I know she has not had a Canadian passport in some years. I wonder if her applying for a passport might be the most swift route for answers? Or her requesting a certificate of citizenship if she does not still have one in her possession? As the process time for citizenship applications appears to take years, and a fairly substantial application fee.

Another concern I have is that I do not, nor have not lived in Canada. Of course much of what is on the internet is directed towards permanent residents of Canada looking to gain citizenship. I'm not sure if I would need to be residing in Canada permanently, or any specific length of time, or ever to apply.

Thank you for the help, I know this sounds knit-picky, but I want to have all the facts prior to applying.

First a note of irony: if you are a Canadian citizen (and either you are or you are not . . . you would not apply to become a citizen if you are, but rather apply for proof you are a citizen), then you would not be eligible to become a Permanent Resident. To become a Canadian citizen (not to be confused with obtaining proof of or recognized as a Canadian citizen), you would need to first become a Canadian Permanent Resident . . . and no less than four years after that (given residency requirements to take effect in the near future, no later than mid-2015) you could (if you meet the qualifications) be eligible for a grant of citizenship, to become a naturalized Canadian citizen.

I sense that is the long and expensive process you are referring to.

If, in contrast, you are a Canadian citizen, the application for proof of that is not complicated (well, it does require some details which might not be easy to obtain), not particularly expensive (I believe the fee is $75), and the processing timeline should be less than six months. There is no need for your mother to do it first (if she does not currently have proof of Canadian citizenship).

The reason she was naturalized was that she was born into Canada, and lived there the first 10 years of her life before moving to the US and acquiring citizenship. Does that still sound incorrect?
Not sure if "incorrect" is the right way to describe this. I believe it would have been technically incorrect to do it that way, but there is plenty of possibility for it to have been done that way anyway. That is why I referred to it as an "incongruity," because it is not what one would expect, and thus it seems unlikely, but that could nonetheless describe your mother's status and how that came to be.

I am not sure what you have looked at, but forget information about becoming a naturalized Canadian until after you have determined whether you are already a Canadian citizen or not. (That is, no need to look into the naturlized route, which requires becoming a PR first and living in Canada for over four years, if you are already a citizen.)

Hopefully you have already looked at and considered the information CIC provides about this, starting with the CIC page titled "Determine your eligiility -- Proof of citizenship.

That page explicitly says:
Quote If you are not sure if you are a citizen or not, applying for a citizenship certificate is the official way to see if you have Canadian citizenship.

The web page Changes to citizenship rules as of April 2009 offers more information that you might find useful . . . although, again, it mostly comes down to making an application for a certificate of citizenship, for which your birth certificate and your mother's birth certificate will probably be the key documents you need.

That site says:
Quote Also, people born abroad to a Canadian parent after 1947 who lost or never had citizenship due to former citizenship laws also became citizens under the 2009 law, but only if they had a Canadian parent who was born or naturalized in Canada. People who formally renounced their citizenship or had it revoked because of fraud did not automatically become citizens under the 2009 law.

Citizenship was automatic and went back to the day the person was born or lost citizenship, depending on the situation. These people do not have to apply for citizenship, but may need to apply for a certificate to prove their citizenship.

As long as you have a certified copy of your mother's birth certificate, showing her birth in Canada, and yours, the main issue then is whether she became a naturalized U.S. citizen and in that process renounced her Canadian citizenship. See the application form for the details which you need to provide. (I believe you have to disclose your mother's other citizenships, her absence from Canada prior to 1977, and details about how she became a U.S. citizen . . . better for you, I believe, if her U.S. citizenship was recognized as citizenship by birth rather than naturalized.)

Making the application:

You need certified copies of your birth certificate and your mother's. As I previously noted, I think the fee is just $75 Cdn (less than $70 U.S. today), and the timeline should be less than six months.

The instruction guide (follow links at the CIC site) states:
Quote If you were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent on or after January 1, 1947, then send the following supporting documents:

* A birth certificate which lists your parents (issued by the responsible government authority in the country where you were born);

* Proof that one or both of your natural parents was, at the time of your birth, a Canadian citizen (i.e. your parent’s provincial or territorial birth certificate, naturalization certificate, Canadian citizenship certificate or registration of birth abroad certificate);

* Two (2) pieces of personal identification, such as a passport, a driver’s licence and a health insurance card, one of which must have your photo on it;

* If neither of your parents were born or naturalized in Canada before your birth, and either of your parents, or any grandparents, was employed outside Canada in or with the Canadian Armed Forces, the federal public administration or the public service of a province or territory, other than as a locally engaged person, please submit evidence of your parents or grandparents’ employment (see section on Crown servants in this guide for further instructions and acceptable proof of your parent/grandparent’s employment as a Crown servant);

* Other documents, such as a marriage certificate/divorce certificate and/or a legal name change certificate (if applicable)

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
jilljac1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jilljac1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 5:58am
Thank you for that thorough response. 

I'm so glad you explained that, for some reason my head was spinning and I must have completely missed that I am not naturalizing, so I have a shorter application process. However the wait time stays the same on cic. Not sure if anyone knows whether or not it's accurate, or if process times for inheriting citizenship are shorter. 

Are you aware if I would then need to take the citizenship test and have a hearing as well? Either way this is fine, but perhaps you know the answer. It looks like I would by-pass that as well.

You also mentioned my mother's US citizenship being by birth rather than naturalization. Not sure if you mis-typed, but she was naturalized to the US, I'm sure I can't do anything to alter that. Unless you meant something else?

Sorry for the ignorance, and thank you for your time!

canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 9:34am
Your mother's US citizenship is indeed acquired by birth because she was born to US parents, even though they were abroad.
Mark1552 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark1552 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 11:30am
jilljac1 At the end of the day the best course of action is probably to just assume you are already a Canadian and apply for proof of citizenship and see what happens. 

Good Luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic