Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ukraine - need to save my brother and his family
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ukraine - need to save my brother and his family

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 810311 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ukraine - need to save my brother and his family
    Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 10:32pm
Good day,

My brother is currently in Ukraine with wife and two kids without job (all jobs stopped in the war area) and his apartment was ruined during war action in the east of Ukraine. He has a little bit of savings but it only gonna last for a couple of month. He wants to apply for asylum in Canada because he said he can be sent to war by the government against his will.

Any advice is appreciated as to what can be done to bring him and his family to Canada for asylum.
canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 7:59am
This certainly is a unique situation, but sadly likely not the only one we see as the military activity in Ukraine intensifies. Please note that in order for your brother to apply for asylum in Canada he needs to be displaced, our in other words - he needs to be out of Ukraine, otherwise there is no perceived displacement which can warrant a refugee claim.

The way I see it, his best bet is to apply for a temporary visitor visa to Canada at the embassy in Kyiv or at the consulate in Lviv, if he can make it there, and while in Canada submit an asylum application (asylum applications MUST be made from within Canada). I will admit though - I know second to none about asylum applications, so you may want to email a few lawyers or pro-bono clinics to discuss his options.

Another resource to look into is the Ukrainian Canadian Congress: http://www.ucc.ca/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic