Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bankruptcy while waiting for citizenship

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bankruptcy while waiting for citizenship
    Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 10:28am
Hi everyone, I hope you can help us with this one.

My husband and I have had hit some really rough spots financially over the past couple of years and our debts are joint. He's a Canadian citizen, he sponsored me in early 2005 and I've been a permanent resident since July 2005. I applied for Canadian citizenship in March 2009 and the application has been in process since November 2009 so we're expecting it to be completed within the next four to six months.

As our financial situation seems to be insurmountable and we're being hounded by creditors, we're considering filing for bankruptcy soon. Our biggest worry is whether this will affect my citizenship application. Because of our finances, we're not able to go speak with an immigration lawyer. I hope you can help us answer this...

Thank you!
sputnikx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sputnikx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 11:35am
Citizenship is determined by your residency in Canada. Bankruptcy or your financial situation have no bearing, unless it has a criminal background.

According to CIC, you cannot become a citizen if you:

• have been convicted of an indictable (criminal) offence or an offence under the Citizenship Act in the three years before you apply
  • are currently charged with an indictable offence or an offence under the Citizenship Act
  • are in prison, on parole or on probation
  • are under a removal order (have been ordered by Canadian officials to leave Canada)
  • are under investigation for, are charged with, or have been convicted of a war crime or a crime against humanity or
  • have had your Canadian citizenship taken away in the past five years.
here is the reference:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp
Koryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 12:43pm
Thank you sputnikx, that definitely helps. I looked through the link, I guess now my main concern is that since the bankruptcy won't be discharged for nine months and I'm expecting my citizenship to be finalized within six, if this will have any bearing because the bankruptcy won't have been finalized.
premaman3 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote premaman3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 2:01pm
koryo.....the best thing to do ,just call CIC Sydny,and tell them that ,what the effect will be if you file for bankrubtcy on your citizenship application. the only risk might be there is to hold your application till you are discharged,but I am not sure. so do not take any risk and just call and get the information you need.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 12:55am
sputnix identified the prohibitinos. Bankruptcy is not one. See the page sputnix linked. See the "prohibitions" listed in item 7 in the application form. See the Citizenship Act itself. Bankruptcy is not an issue relative to eligibility for citizenship.

CIC is good about putting this sort of information right up front. Like they do for sponsorships (for which an undischarged bankruptcy does preclude eligibility to sponsor).

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic