Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Work Sponsored by Canadian business

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmathe03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Work Sponsored by Canadian business
    Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 12:09pm
Hello,  I am from the US and I married my husband in February.  We planned on doing the family-class sponsorship, but just found out that a big company wants to get me to work for them.  They will be doing the work visa for me and paying the $1500 it takes for it to go through.  I was wondering what this means as far as my permanent residence status goes, since this is the same cost as doing the family-class sponsorship for a spouse.  Do I need to do the family-class paperwork in order to become a permanent resident, or is this what work is doing for me?  Thanks a bunch for your time.
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by mmathe03 mmathe03 wrote:

Hello,  I am from the US and I married my husband in February.  We planned on doing the family-class sponsorship, but just found out that a big company wants to get me to work for them.  They will be doing the work visa for me and paying the $1500 it takes for it to go through.  I was wondering what this means as far as my permanent residence status goes, since this is the same cost as doing the family-class sponsorship for a spouse.  Do I need to do the family-class paperwork in order to become a permanent resident, or is this what work is doing for me?  Thanks a bunch for your time.

It only costs $150.00 (one hundred fifty Canadian dollars) to apply for a work permit. If you managed to get a work permit then you can wait out the processing of you spousal sponsorship inside Canada while doing an outland application.
Gander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 5:31pm
JS speaks the truth, you do have your $$ wrong by a decimal place. ;)

If you need any help with the permanent resident application I would suggest an immigration lawyer help out as the last thing you want is to get all comfy and then be forced to return to the US for a month while things are re-filed.

I just had a friend almost lose his business because he filed his paperwork wrong and immigration wanted him to leave until it was sorted and while he managed to stay it was very stressful and a lot of extra work/paper pushing. Better to do it right the first time. ;)

Good luck and enjoy your stay, Canada is so beautiful! 

Edited by Gander - 30 Mar 2010 at 5:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic