Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not quite sure what to do now...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honkeytonkwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not quite sure what to do now...
    Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 2:31pm
Hi there! I've just joined the site, so, please have patience with me! :) I hope someone can help me out. I'll give you the background info first.

Applying from INSIDE canada. My husband is my Sponser.
Married August 2 08, and mailed BOTH applications (including Criminal Record, etc.) in end of August.
Went for medical October 08, however found out I was 2 weeks pregnant. My medical was sent out incomplete (without X-ray) and was put 'on hold' until after my time of pregnancy.
Gave birth (to a beautiful boy) May 09, and moved to different house in Yellowknife July 09. (Sent immigration new updated form.
Was finally able to pay for XRay Feb 19, 2010. X ray was sent out beginning of March.
Called CIC today and was told everything is fine and my application is still being processed but everything was recieved.

Now here comes my dilemma. My family back home in the US (philadelphia) is getting anxious and really they really want to see the baby.They want me to get him his passport and visit during the summer for 3 weeks. When I told this to the CIC officer she said as long as I take all my paperwork in for when I re-enter canada, they should see it as proof and not deny me.

My husband is advising me to just wait it out because they recieved all my paperwork/medical/etc. and he's saying 'there can't be that much stuff left to do before you get your PR card'.

So i'm wondering...How much stuff exactly is left to do if my application is approved? Is it a good idea to visit the states? Has anyone here left and re-entered or did you encounter problems? If I do visit does anyone have any reccomendations of paperwork to include to show the border officer that I am in the middle of my sponsership/PR card process?

I do hope someone here has been in the same 'boat' as me.
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 2:43pm
Well your 1st approval may be almost done, but perhaps not the full application.

Whilst you may got PR pretty quickly there is no saying on how long this will take.

You have 2 choices re your visit to the States, take your husband and paperwork and you shouldnt have any problems getting back to Canada, shouldnt however not meaning it is 100%.

The other option of course is for your family to come visit you, you have forever to visit them once you receive PR, but it is vital you do not get refused entry back into Canada with an Inland application, this is why it is better for Visa exempt countries such as the States to go outland, though it is too far in for that.

If they are so desperate to see the baby, congratulations :), then is there any reason why they can not come to you this time, and you go there next time?
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 2:45pm
I think most will tell you that you are taking a chance by visiting the US before you have PR status. Unfortunately there is no guarantee that you will be allowed back into Canada.

Is there any chance that your relatives from Philadelphia can come up and visit you here?
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
matthewc View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 3:11pm
Did you get "approval in principle" already (I would imagine so, as the medical shouldn't delay that). If so, hopefully you may even have the process finished before the summer, as the medical is likely the last thing they were waiting for. There's a possibility they didn't do some of the background checks yet, in which case the wait could be longer. If you don't hear anything in another month, maybe order your FOSS notes to find out if the background checks (other than the medical) are finished already.

http://immipedia.ca/Ordering_FOSS_and_CAIPS_notes

Go ahead and apply for a passport for your baby in the mean time, so you will have the option of traveling if your PR comes through.

I would not recommend leaving Canada at this stage - you might get let back in, but if not, your application will be refused, and you would have to start over again, at step one, filing a new outside application. I don't think that is worth it for one visit to your family, especially if they can visit you, or wait another few months for your PR to be finalised.

Matthew
e-CAS Tracker - Get notified when your e-CAS changes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic