Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Police Clearance in China

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForeverAndADay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Police Clearance in China
    Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 3:21am
Hello,

My partner and I are trying to get a poilice clearance (in China). And it has proven to be quite annoying. Today we just took our 3rd trip to the police station and they keep asking for more and more documentation (rather than just providing a list in the 1st place).

Anyway, the person in charge said that he after we get the correct documentation, he will write a statment saying my partner has no criminal record and sign it. ( but will not stamp it or anything). Basically it will be just a handwritten document with a signature of a police officer. Somthing tells me that this isnt what immigration is looking for. However, in all the guides and instuctions I have read, I havnt seen anything that states what a police clearance should  entail. Perhaps I overlooked something. But i am not so confident with  a piece of paper signed by a police officer who doesnt seem to know what he is doing.

Any insight would be much appreciated
Mrs.Sam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.Sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 3:48am
Hmmm.... this is what you SHOULD be getting....  is "police station" the same as "Public Security Bureau"?
Confused

How to obtain a police certificate

People’s Republic of China

(see also Hong Kong and Macao)

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Yes.

The original police certificate must be submitted along with the application for permanent residence, and must be accompanied by an English or French translation prepared by an accredited translator.

Please note that no fee is required to obtain a Chinese police certificate for both residents and non-residents of China.

How and where do I obtain one?

Local Requests
Chinese nationals:

• You must present your national identification card and household register booklet (hukou) to the local Public Security Bureau.

Non-Chinese nationals:

• You must present your passport containing your Chinese visa to the local Public Security Bureau.

Non-Resident Requests
You can obtain a police certificate from the local Public Security Bureau by asking someone to act on your behalf in China. To do this, you must give this person:

• Specific written authorization.
  • If you are a Chinese national, a photocopy of your national identification card and household register booklet (hukou).
  • If you are a non-Chinese national, a photocopy of your passport, including the page that contains the Chinese visa.

The person acting on your behalf must present the documents to the local Public Security Bureau.

"Knowledge is Power" Sir Francis Bacon 1597
ForeverAndADay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForeverAndADay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 4:12am
Thanks Mrs Sam for the quick reply,

Yes, police station and Public Security Bureau are the same thing in China.

Yeah I knew that much info from the CIC website but its still kinda vague as to what the content of police clearance should entail.  .

My partner is a chinese resident and we went to her local publlic security bureau with her Hukuo and her Id but they said it wasnt enough and they wanted a letter from the place we currently live at stating that she has no criminal record and has not done anything illegal etc (as if they would know that info  Confused )

Now the police are telling her to go to her old residence (the residence stated on her ID) to get some kind of letter from them stating she has no criminal record which is impossible since she hasnt lived there in years ..deosnt make any sence..

Does anyone know what a typical police clearance looks like?
Mrs.Sam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.Sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 3:09pm
I tried to find a copy, jpg, gif... .anything that someone posted somewhere on the Internet.... maybe try that on different search engines. 

Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did... if you actually understand chinese Wink lol (cause I have NO IDEA!).

Originally posted by ForeverAndADay ForeverAndADay wrote:

Thanks Mrs Sam for the quick reply,

Yes, police station and Public Security Bureau are the same thing in China.

Yeah I knew that much info from the CIC website but its still kinda vague as to what the content of police clearance should entail.  .

My partner is a chinese resident and we went to her local publlic security bureau with her Hukuo and her Id but they said it wasnt enough and they wanted a letter from the place we currently live at stating that she has no criminal record and has not done anything illegal etc (as if they would know that info  Confused )

Now the police are telling her to go to her old residence (the residence stated on her ID) to get some kind of letter from them stating she has no criminal record which is impossible since she hasnt lived there in years ..deosnt make any sence..

Does anyone know what a typical police clearance looks like?
chipsfan7mary4 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipsfan7mary4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 4:37pm
My wife had to get a police certificate from China.  I think I have a copy of it at home.  When I get home I will look at it and scan it for you.  I will also ask my wife what she did,  I do not think it was that difficult.  I am sure she just went with her hukou and ID and they looked her up on the computer.
Mrs.Sam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.Sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 6:07pm
I LOVE Heart this place... and the sharing of information!!!! Chipsfan7mary4 you're a STAR! Star

Originally posted by chipsfan7mary4 chipsfan7mary4 wrote:

My wife had to get a police certificate from China.  I think I have a copy of it at home.  When I get home I will look at it and scan it for you.  I will also ask my wife what she did,  I do not think it was that difficult.  I am sure she just went with her hukou and ID and they looked her up on the computer.
Mr_with_his_Mrs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_with_his_Mrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 5:18pm
My wife's police clearance was 1 line of type written text from the police office.  It said:

XXXX is not guilty of any offences against the public order.

We took it down to the local notary who translated it into English and applied the municipal seal and all that shtuff.  I too can scan you a copy if I can find it.

As she is with me in Canada now, I am guessing it was also sufficient.  Different cities different policies in China I think.
Formerly Mr_without_his_Mrs
BBQQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by ForeverAndADay ForeverAndADay wrote:

But i am not so confident with  a piece of paper signed by a police officer who doesnt seem to know what he is doing.

Any insight would be much appreciated

taking that paper to local nortary office, they will make a notarization of non-criminal certificate for you
I did before, it was easy. donot know which city your wife lived in, check the link out,http://www.sh-notary.com/guide/notary/criminal_notary.html
 it's a website of notary office in shanghai, have all information like documents requirement, fees....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic