Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

They want to know what we think

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: They want to know what we think
    Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 5:48pm
Just saw a news show on SunTV about two families and their Immigration nightmares: 1) a family being deported back to Pakistan after a failed refugee claim, who won on appeal and are being given permanent status on H&C grounds and 2) the story of a woman in Canada illegally for the past 18 years who is married to a Canadian citizen and has five Canadian born children. She is being deported this Sunday.

The details were sketchy - obviously in comparing the two cases you're talking apples and oranges and the reporter was not at all familiar with Canadian immigration practices. The immigration attorney she interviewed was about as clueless as she was in regards to what was important about this story - but the question posed was: Do you have confidence in our Canadian Immigration system?

Here's where you go to let them know what you think!

http://blog.canoe.ca/canoelive/

Edited by RobsLuv - 19 Mar 2010 at 5:51pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 6:25pm
lol
immigration attorney was clueless?

That's why she won for them on the H&C, and she works for Green and Speigel, one of the best immigration law firms in T.O.
(as per my info)

Secondly, you're upset at people fleeing persecution in other countries and seeking protection elswhere?

I know for a fact that religious minorities suffer alot of torture and persecution in Pakistan, so i think thats a good decision to let them stay.

What Canada should be doing is deporting those who spread violence, drugs and crime after settling here. their status should be scrapped and they should be sent back

diddagirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diddagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by canvis2006 canvis2006 wrote:

lol
immigration attorney was clueless?

That's why she won for them on the H&C, and she works for Green and Speigel, one of the best immigration law firms in T.O.
(as per my info)

Secondly, you're upset at people fleeing persecution in other countries and seeking protection elswhere?

I know for a fact that religious minorities suffer alot of torture and persecution in Pakistan, so i think thats a good decision to let them stay.

What Canada should be doing is deporting those who spread violence, drugs and crime after settling here. their status should be scrapped and they should be sent back

Whoa Canvis- maybe you should re-read what Robsluv's post was about... nowhere did she say she was "upset at people feeling persecution in other countries and seeking protection elsewhere". She was simply posting this story, and letting people know to give our feedback.

In no way shape or form was her post critisizing either case, so I have no idea what you are getting your pants in a knot about.
boundary47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boundary47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 8:35pm
This morning's Vancouver Sun ran an article about immigration by former Executive Director of the Canadian Immigration Service, James Bissett.  It had the inflammatory headline: "An argument for turning off the immigration tap".  The article is not nearly as inflammatory as the headline.  

I wonder if the TV spot on immigration has anything to do with "piling on" by the media? 

There's no doubt that news managers' decisions about which news and documentary subjects to run reflect media companies' quest for "share of audience".  To put it simply, they get paid based on the number of readers/viewers.  More eyeballs in the demographic groups desired by advertisers brings higher revenues from advertising.  If the topic fans enough outrage to sell more newspapers or draw bigger audiences, expect a spate of similar articles and news reports for the next few weeks. Politicians and media editors always "jump on the horse" that's going in the direction they want.

Cynical me -- I wonder how much of it is stimulated by federal opposition parties trying to make the Harper Government look bad on the immigration file. Opposition parties of all stripe have no compunction about using any topic to make governments look bad.  The Conservatives did it while they were in opposition, and the other parties are no better on this score.

B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 9:02pm
^ It's all about money these days. Everyone trying to make their buck, no matter the consequences.....
That's what is happening in Canada. Ofcourse under lax laws
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 9:57pm
And that helps a woman married to a Canadian with a 5 year old child how?

The fact that the refugee claim was refused should not give way to H&C status, in fact if the appeal doesnt work then that should be it. If a spousal application fails, perhaps I should try on the PNP, no, I set my application on sposal because I want to be with my family, otherwise we have an over run of options for people who clearly do not qualify.

Just because a lawyer wins a case, means nothing, I won an appeal against speeding in the UK, was my barrister good then? Actually, had I not insisted, and against his advice, that I go on the stand and explain to the judge then I would have lost.

And McDonalds is a pretty big country, probably the most sucessful fast food restraunt in the world, but some of the muppets who work for them are a waste of space, I asked for a vanilla milkshake and got chocolate, but hey, by your reckoning, they must be good because the work for a large well known company.
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
matthewc View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 10:39pm
And McDonalds is a pretty big country

Last time I checked, McDonalds is still a company, not a country.

Now, it may act like it's a psychopathic empire bent on world domination, but perhaps that's a little off-topic for an immigration forum and I should leave it there. Nuke
e-CAS Tracker - Get notified when your e-CAS changes
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 5:41am
Every case is rife with its own particulars, its own equities, and its own baggage, so trying to second-guess the compelling reasons behind this or that decision is almost always an exercise in speculation, and often futile or even foolish speculation at that.

One can pose certain probable hypotheticals, and based on those suggest relatively reasonable estimates of why this or that might have happened, but that still leaves the reality of any particular case in the realm of speculation.

Personally I have a lot of confidence in the Canadian immigration system, despite some obvious flaws and occasional injustices.

I recognize that some may object, and argue that this is easy for me to say since my own application sailed so easily and quickly through the process. Yes, mine did. But my personal experience does not tell the story any more or any less than someone's bad experience tells the story. And thus it is not my personal experience that compels me to express such confidence (nor will any one else's in particular suggest reason enough to think the contrary).

CIC deals with well over a million visa applications by FNs every single year, over two hundred thousand citizenship applications, and the statistics overwhelmingly indicate that the vast majority of such applications are processed appropriately and relatively timely (recognizing that we live in an age demanding immediate results and no, the results are a long way from immediate -- but that is not, I believe, a reasonable standard, particularly given the vast volume of applications processed for a country of merely 33 million people). I have read case decision after case decision, and it is clear from many of those decisions that CIC very often is dealing with many difficult clients, many tough cases, and that they are doing a pretty good job even in respect to most of the tougher cases.

With more than a few breakdowns, sure, some fairly egregious mistakes occasionally, and of course there are real people, real lives, people with families and loved ones whose futures are at stake, whose lives are hurt, sometimes hurt badly by those mistakes. I do not excuse the mistakes. I do, however, recognize the hundreds of thousands of cases that do go through the system in an appropriate fashion with what appears to be appropriate results.

The system not only usually works, but the statistics suggest it works and works and works, and only rarely doesn't work well. And this is important. If sweeping changes were suddenly implemented, the odds are there will be more failures, a lesser rate of success, that more people and their families would be left in limbo or in the lurch even. And it must always be remembered that there is more than a small number of people out there who would take any opportunity to change the immigration system to push it toward more draconian limitations on immigrating, to impose more restrictions, longer timelines.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 10:30am
Originally posted by matthewc matthewc wrote:

And McDonalds is a pretty big countryLast time I checked, McDonalds is still a company, not a country.Now, it may act like it's a psychopathic empire bent on world domination, but perhaps that's a little off-topic for an immigration forum and I should leave it there. Nuke

Lol, beer will do that to you, well spotted though Matt. Mind you, give them time........ you never know
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
boundary47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boundary47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by redeagle redeagle wrote:

Lol, beer will do that to you, well spotted though Matt. Mind you, give them time........ you never know

So wil burgers . . . redeagle, are you sure you're not trying to blame it on the beer to hide a burger abuse problem?  Big smile
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic