Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ATIP REQUESTS - Instructions and Insights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ATIP REQUESTS - Instructions and Insights
    Posted: 08 May 2014 at 4:44pm
I have been meaning for a while to create a topic that outlines the process of making ATIP requests and highlights the benefits and drawbacks of this practice. For starters, some vocabulary:

ATIP - Access to Information and Access to Privacy Acts which include provisions that enable individual to request government records, and in case of many citizenship applicants - copies of their immigration and citizenship files.

GCMS - Global Case Management System - a portal used internally by CIC to track case progress of each file. This is also referred to in CIC documentation as electronic files.

Electronic Files - record of each application's progress as documented in CIC's internal Global Case Management System.

Paper Files - refers to copies of the actual paper application/binder that constitutes one's application, including all information submitted initially and subsequently (such as RQ responses).

Process Overview
In many cases, when there has not been an update on your application, you may want to request a copy of your case progress report. You have two routes to take in doing so - requesting via the Access to Information or the Access to Privacy Acts. The key difference is that requests made under Access to Information Act can apply to either individual files, or some other government information you may want to access. Making requests under the Access to Information option will also cost you $5.00. If you are making a request only for your own information then pick the Access to Privacy Act option.

Submitting your request
1. To make an ATIP request please visit: <a href="https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/">https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/</a>

2. Once you consent to the privacy notice, make sure you select and fill in appropriate information. The last question on page 1 of the form will ask you how you would like to receive your files. You have two options: by email to the email address you provided, or on a CD delivered to your specified address. This is purely a matter of preference.

3. The following page will ask you to select the Act under which you are making a request: Privacy Act (if requesting info about your own case) or Information Act (if requesting any other type of CIC related information).

4. When asked "Which Types of Records Do You Wish To Request" select case files.

Physical Files or Electronic Files?
The last question on this page will ask you "What Type of Information Would You Like To Request?". You have two options: notes in electronic file or physical file. As mentioned in the definitions above, the physical file will be a scanned copy of your physical application and any other correspondence that may have been exchanged between you and the CIC - it's the actual binder that is sitting in CIC's files waiting to be processed. As such, it likely won't show you much new information and may somewhat delay processing since the file needs to be taken out of the queue, scanned and put back.

For most folks getting the notes in the electronic file is likely the most satisfying option since it will show your file's progress and any notes that may have been entered by CIC staff.

Once you make your selections and submit your request, it should take anywhere between 4-6 weeks for the information to arrive either in your mailbox or inbox.

Repercussions
From what we have seen, there have not been any procedural drawbacks or repercussions to ordering one's own case notes or physical file copies. The only drawback I can think of is the slight delay in that scanning a physical file may add to the processing of an application that otherwise is on a fast-track or within the prescribed normal processing times.

For those who have received RQs, getting copies of these files is almost crucial - to understand exactly what is going on with the application and to further prepare for meetings with judges or other legal proceedings.

It's worth noting that in some cases making a request for copies of your physical file can stir CIC into action, as was the case with one member's application on this forum (can't remember who), who made the request and as a result of having to touch her file the CIC realized that it was in the wrong pile.

Edited by canuck25 - 13 Oct 2014 at 5:37pm
canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 4:45pm
I reposted this topic as a new thread with some corrections since I was previously unable to edit my own posts and wanted to address some typos.

Edited by canuck25 - 17 May 2014 at 1:01am
canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 12:30pm
I wonder if CIC is purposely staggering release of processed ATIP requests. I submitted one in late March and when it did not arrive 30 days later reached out to CIC's ATIP section by email. I received a reply that indicated that the request was actually processed in week 3 following my submission, but the file was not sent out for some reason. The person replying to me said that he put in a note to have the file sent out "in the order of priority." I have since contacted CIC's ATIP line twice to inquire on the status of the file and there have been on subsequent replies - my request is now in its 7th week...

Has anyone had similar experiences with requesting electronic files?

Edited by canuck25 - 17 May 2014 at 1:00am
daktrader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daktrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 12:42pm
I had the same issue in Feb...not aware of the note on my file
It took them 9 weeks in my case to deliver my ATIP.
I think the CIC has been flooded with ATIP requests; that could trigger the delay

Originally posted by canuck25 canuck25 wrote:

I wonder if CIC is purposely staggering release of processed ATIP requests. I submitted one in late March and when it did not arrive 30 days later reached out to CIC's ATIP section by email. I received a reply that indicated that the request was actually processed in week 3 following my submission, but the file was not sent out for some reason. The person replying to me said that he put in a note to have the file sent out "in the order of priority." I have since contacted CIC's ATIP line twice to inquire on the status of the file and there have been on subsequent replies - my request is now in its 7th week...

Edited by daktrader - 12 May 2014 at 12:43pm
Landed: August, 2005
Applied: Feb 2010
Test: Jan 2011
RQ Received: Feb 2011
RQ Submitted: March 2011
Total Waiting Time: 52 months
Office: St-Claire
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 1:57pm
Hi

Originally posted by daktrader daktrader wrote:

I had the same issue in Feb...not aware of the note on my file
It took them 9 weeks in my case to deliver my ATIP.
I think the CIC has been flooded with ATIP requests; that could trigger the delay

1. Remember they aren't just printed and mailed/sent. They have to be reviewed and any third party information deleted.
PMM
cool_alex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool_alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 11:20am
Are there examples of what information exactly can be obtained via electronic or scanned records? What value do they add to the fairly useless status updates on the CIC website and how easy their records are to decipher for ordinary mortals?
canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 11:28am
Originally posted by cool_alex cool_alex wrote:

Are there examples of what information exactly can be obtained via electronic or scanned records? What value do they add to the fairly useless status updates on the CIC website and how easy their records are to decipher for ordinary mortals?

Scanned records won't offer much insight at all - at the end of the day it's simply a scanned version of every single paper document contained in your citizenship application.

Electronic records can be of some value since they show the sequence of steps your application needs to transition through before it is approved/referred to the judge. The value of the electronic files is in that it show exactly what has been done on your file and what is yet remains to be completed. For those waiting with an RQ it can also be valuable in showing exactly the last time the file was worked on - a piece of information that can be useful to those who are considering taking legal steps with respect to the delay of their application.

Edited by canuck25 - 17 May 2014 at 1:00am
cool_alex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool_alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 11:37am

Electronic records can be of some value since they show the sequence of steps your application needs to transition through before it is approved/referred to the judge. The value of the electronic files is in that it show exactly what has been done on your file and what is yet remains to be completed. For those waiting with an RQ it can also be valuable in showing exactly the last time the file was worked on - a piece of information that can be useful to those who are considering taking legal steps with respect to the delay of their application.

Are there examples of electronic ATIP records available for review (wanted to make sure I can understand/interpret these)?
canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 12:55pm

Are there examples of electronic ATIP records available for review (wanted to make sure I can understand/interpret these)?

Here's an outline of what's included in your electronic files:
<a href="http://www.gcmsnotes.com/Sample_GCMS_File.pdf" rel="nofollow">http://www.gcmsnotes.com/Sample_GCMS_File.pdf</a>

Edited by canuck25 - 17 May 2014 at 12:59am
fox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 1:06pm

Here's an outline of what's included in your electronic files:
http://www.gcmsnotes.com/Sample_GCMS_File.pdf

for ATIP...is it something you can request by your own or its a request from CIC? 
And how long does it take to get one?

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic