Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ATIP REQUESTS - Instructions and Insights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 12:51pm
Thanks sagafemina. Don't worry we all became experts on this. Thank you for your input and this what I thought. 
greeen View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 11:31am
Hi sagafemina,
I know that each case is different but just to speculate here. For your case and from looking at the dates how long it took from CIC start working on your CIT0065 till the approval. I believe from your electronic file you can tell the date. If you don't feel OK to reveal this info then I understand. Thanks
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 10:35am

Request for help composing and making a customized request for copy of the FPAT:

A recent report indicates, for a particular applicant (not me obviously, since I have been a citizen for approaching a year already), that the FPAT has been completed. The FPAT is the long-form CJ referral for a residency case. The template or what it contains is not publicly available. However, since it is the referral, since it will go to the CJ (this is in reference to a case which appears to be headed for a CJ residency hearing) and an applicant should be entitled to a copy of everything the CJ considers, the applicant should be able to obtain a copy of this . . . and anything and everything else to be sent to the CJ for the CJ to consider.

The question is how to do a customized Access to Information request which gets past CIC's generic response, which so far as I have yet to see is merely a GCMS query-based report plus, if requested, physical files.

While I suspect that CIC will resist providing a copy of the completed FPAT, this is such important information it is almost certainly worth challenging.

But a properly made customized request is the necessary first step. So if anyone has any experience in doing this, or otherwise has insight into how to go about this, I know of at least one individual who would be grateful for the information.

Note: in the past this did not seem feasible, because it appeared there was a narrow window of time between when the referral was completed and the CJ hearing was scheduled, not enough time to make the request and get the information even if one knew when the referral was completed, let alone enough time to challenge CIC if it declined to disclose this information (which I suspect it will). In the case I am somewhat familiar with, however, a generic ATIP request response indicates that the FPAT is completed. Still no hearing has been scheduled. This seems to be a prime opportunity to make the formal written request for a copy of the specific referral in this individual's case. Of course if this individual then shares, in this or another forum, some information about the FPAT in general that would be invaluable information for many, many others who have a high risk of going to a CJ residency hearing.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
obryan20 View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obryan20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 2:18pm
Hi all

An ATIP request to CIC (GCMS notes) requires proof that one is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. For the latter, can the "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" (IMM 5688) document duly signed and dated upon completing the landing procedure be used as proof in lieu of a Permanent Residence Card?  

Edited by obryan20 - 20 Jan 2015 at 2:21pm
FSW1 NOC 1111
App: 21-May-14
Visa: 29-Oct-14
PR: 7-Jan-15

<a href="https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10955&title=jamaican-cases-questions-answers-advice" rel="nofollow">FAQ</a>
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 7:30pm
Yes that should be sufficient.
obryan20 View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obryan20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 10:18pm
Ok, thanks for your response.
FSW1 NOC 1111

<a href="https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10955&title=jamaican-cases-questions-answers-advice" rel="nofollow">FAQ</a>
canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 9:30am
Originally posted by obryan20 obryan20 wrote:

Hi all

An ATIP request to CIC (GCMS notes) requires proof that one is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. For the latter, can the "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" (IMM 5688) document duly signed and dated upon completing the landing procedure be used as proof in lieu of a Permanent Residence Card?  

I am not sure I understand your questions. I never needed to submit a copy of any documents when making requests for GCMS notes via ATIP. Has the procedure changed recently?

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 11:37am
Is there no one who has any experience with or insight into a customized request that would obtain information/documentation beyond the GCMS query-based report and physical files?
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
obryan20 View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obryan20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by canuck25 canuck25 wrote:

Originally posted by obryan20 obryan20 wrote:

Hi all

I am not sure I understand your questions. I never needed to submit a copy of any documents when making requests for GCMS notes via ATIP. Has the procedure changed recently?

At the link: https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do?lang=en, under the Top questions - "What do I need to submit a request online?" it notes that the following proof needs to be submitted online: "A proof of your status as a permanent resident, such as a copy of your permanent resident card". My query related to using the scanned signed COPR instead of a scanned PR card.

Have you requested using this system, not provided any proof and still got a response?
FSW1 NOC 1111

canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 5:52pm
I had made many such requests using the Privacy Act and never submitted any supporting documentation other than personal and biographical information that must be provided in the form itself. I never had an ATIP request that was refused for this reason simply because the CIC can easily verify that all the information you are submitting is in fact about yourself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic