Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ATIP REQUESTS - Instructions and Insights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 11:20pm
There were a number of RQ-related posts here that had no connection to the issue of ATIP requests. In the interest of preserving them within the context of RQ-related items, they have been moved to the "RQ Discussions" topic.
torontob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torontob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by canuck25 canuck25 wrote:

I wonder if CIC is purposely staggering release of processed ATIP requests. I submitted one in late March and when it did not arrive 30 days later reached out to CIC's ATIP section by email. I received a reply that indicated that the request was actually processed in week 3 following my submission, but the file was not sent out for some reason. The person replying to me said that he put in a note to have the file sent out "in the order of priority." I have since contacted CIC's ATIP line twice to inquire on the status of the file and there have been on subsequent replies - my request is now in its 7th week...

Has anyone had similar experiences with requesting electronic files?

Similar experience since last year. They are waiting exactly 30 days to respond. I also had one not receive in 45 days and then an apology from them saying they lost it.

This and the blanket RQ to everyone shows that this government wanted a big pile to run the agenda for bill C-24. They indeed created this mess and then tell people this is a broken system.
cool_alex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool_alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 4:53pm

I wonder if CIC is purposely staggering release of processed ATIP requests. I submitted one in late March and when it did not arrive 30 days later reached out to CIC's ATIP section by email. I received a reply that indicated that the request was actually processed in week 3 following my submission, but the file was not sent out for some reason. The person replying to me said that he put in a note to have the file sent out "in the order of priority." I have since contacted CIC's ATIP line twice to inquire on the status of the file and there have been on subsequent replies - my request is now in its 7th week...

Same here: electronic record generated on the date of receiving the request, but was withheld for 3.5 weeks before communicating.
torontob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torontob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by cool_alex cool_alex wrote:

Same here: electronic record generated on the date of receiving the request, but was withheld for 3.5 weeks before communicating.

So what tools do the commons have at their disposal against bureaucrats in situations like this?
sagafemina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sagafemina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 8:26pm
I filed an ATIP on another matter (CRA misinterpretation of their own rules).  It cost me $5. 

Because they are statutorily required to respond within 30 days I received not one, but two couriered letters explaining that they needed additional time and were entitled to it in certain circumstances. 

Total costs to taxpayers in courier fees alone about $20. 

Isn't CIC held to the same requirements?  It doesn't sound like it from moderator's posts. 

(Incidentally, the final reply was totally non-responsive to the question posed.  But by then I had concluded that the intelligence and educational level of respondents was not worth my time to respond.)
App rec'd 29 Dec 2010
Prcs 21 Nov 2011
Vic->BCIS 1 Feb 2012
Doc id, RQ issued 24 Apr 2013
60 hr, 158p, $70 RQ 23 Jun 13
ATIP 6/30: Cit grant 4 Jul 14
eCas 1st update 9/23 since Mar 13
Oath 10/14/14
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 10:49pm
Hi

Originally posted by torontob torontob wrote:

Originally posted by cool_alex cool_alex wrote:

So what tools do the commons have at their disposal against bureaucrats in situations like this?

The information may have been printed off CGMS,which is done when the request is received, but it still has to be reviewed by a Privacy officer before it can be released.
PMM
m_r_mtl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_r_mtl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 4:45pm
My question might look stupid, but I ordered ATIP and it never charged the 5$ fee. Is there any free version?!
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 5:17pm
Hi

Originally posted by m_r_mtl m_r_mtl wrote:

My question might look stupid, but I ordered ATIP and it never charged the 5$ fee. Is there any free version?!

IF you are in Canada and requesting your own information under the privacy act, there is no charge.
PMM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sagafemina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 4:30pm
However, if you accidentally order the paid version for yourself they will happily accept your money!
(As I know, having just done so...) 

App rec'd 29 Dec 2010
Prcs 21 Nov 2011
Vic->BCIS 1 Feb 2012
Oath 10/14/14

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sagafemina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 4:48pm
Now, it appears that there could be some benefit to applying for the full file, and some potential for drawbacks...

I ordered both the summary and the full file on 6/30.  Summary arrived about 7/31 and didn't contain much info I didn't know. 

The full file arrived last week.  I was VERY worried that perhaps this request had removed it from the pile of files waiting to be processed, as I was told 8 months ago that everything was in order and I was just waiting for the oath.   And I believed others on this list that the full file really wasn't very helpful. 

However, in MY case at least it has been very helpful.  Although about 5 pages were redacted, and the file was incredibly large due to my extensive RQ response, it did contain a document, CIT 0065, "Citizenship Application Review" which shows that on 7/3/14, 4 days after my online request, the file went before a judge and was approved. 

Who knows whether my asking somehow prompted this review, or whether it was just luck that the judge saw it before they pulled it for copying; but at any rate, I'M IN!  This happened 14 mos after RQ was issued, 41 mos after application, 2 weeks after I asked my MP to inquire/intervene, and 16+ years after arrival in Canada. 

My advice is, if you have been in the long haul process (for example, a year since RQ), specify that you need to see only this form CIT 0065, "Citizenship Application Review", which was clearly generated on the day I was given the RQ and which contains the most crucial piece of information. 

My eCas file still says "in process" and doesn't even say the RQ was ever received. 

App rec'd 29 Dec 2010
Prcs 21 Nov 2011
Vic->BCIS 1 Feb 2012
Oath 10/14/14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic