Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ATIP REQUESTS - Instructions and Insights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by fox fox wrote:

for ATIP...is it something you can request by your own or its a request from CIC? 
And how long does it take to get one?

Thanks

You should read the first post of this thread, which will answer your questions.

Edited by canuck25 - 17 May 2014 at 12:59am
montrealia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montrealia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by canuck25 canuck25 wrote:

Originally posted by cool_alex cool_alex wrote:

Are there examples of what information exactly can be obtained via electronic or scanned records? What value do they add to the fairly useless status updates on the CIC website and how easy their records are to decipher for ordinary mortals?

Scanned records won't offer much insight at all - at the end of the day it's simply a scanned version of every single paper document contained in your citizenship application.

Electronic records can be of some value since they show the sequence of steps your application needs to transition through before it is approved/referred to the judge. The value of the electronic files is in that it show exactly what has been done on your file and what is yet remains to be completed. For those waiting with an RQ it can also be valuable in showing exactly the last time the file was worked on - a piece of information that can be useful to those who are considering taking legal steps with respect to the delay of their application.

To add to what canuck25 is saying, electronic records are also useful to pose precise questions to the call center and avoid misunderstandings. In principle the call center should give you the same information as in the electronic records, but as you see, the information is complex and more often than not, call center employees get lost in the status of the file, giving seemingly random answers. You can take your time to look at these records and understand it better than the call center employees, and then call and ask precise questions to get updates. 

Another route that some people adopt is to avoid the call center as much as possible and keep ordering new electronic notes via ATIP periodically.
Office: Guess!!!
Received: 25 May 2011
In Process: 26 Jun 2012
pre-test RQ submitted: 03 Aug 2012
PR card renewed: June-Sept 2013, no issues
Test: 26 March 2014
Oath: 7 August 2014
cool_alex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool_alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by montrealia montrealia wrote:

To add to what canuck25 is saying, electronic records are also useful to pose precise questions to the call center and avoid misunderstandings. In principle the call center should give you the same information as in the electronic records, but as you see, the information is complex and more often than not, call center employees get lost in the status of the file, giving seemingly random answers. You can take your time to look at these records and understand it better than the call center employees, and then call and ask precise questions to get updates. 

Another route that some people adopt is to avoid the call center as much as possible and keep ordering new electronic notes via ATIP periodically.

Some of the entries in the sample record shared here are less than obvious and I am having doubts I'd be able to make sense of them. Are there any cheat-sheets helping to interpret the ATIP records?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montrealia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by cool_alex cool_alex wrote:

Some of the entries in the sample record shared here are less than obvious and I am having doubts I'd be able to make sense of them. Are there any cheat-sheets helping to interpret the ATIP records?

I agree that it's not always possible to understand everything that is written in the electronic files. It's a little like a detective's work. However:

1) It's easier to understand your own files than other people's files, since you have an idea of the dates and what to expect.

2) There are threads in this and other forums where people discuss particular points that can help you understand your files further.

My advice is, if you have an concern regarding your case, order the electronic files (they are either free or 5 dollars!) and then, once you have them, you may worry about what you can and can't understand.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montrealia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 4:17pm
Here's a thread with discussions regarding understanding ATIP reports

https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11303&PN=1&title=understanding-atip-report
canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 11:20am
Just received my electronic files requested via ATIP about 5 weeks ago. In short - no change at all on my file. It was previously reviewed in July of last year under "OB 407 triage" to see if RQ can be lifted and the decision was to leave it in the queue for assessment. For some reason they re-triaged it again in December - 6 months later - and the decision was made - again - to let it sit in the queue. Aside from that - an officer still has not been assigned to assess it. I am a 2011 applicant. Will reach my 36 months in a matter of days.

Soon it will be almost 2 years since I mailed in my RQ response and there has been absolutely no movement on the file since.

Edited by canuck25 - 17 May 2014 at 12:58am
daktrader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daktrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 11:33am
Are you thinking of filing "Mandamus"?

Originally posted by canuck25 canuck25 wrote:

Just received my electronic files requested via ATIP about 5 weeks ago. In short - no change at all on my file. It was previously reviewed in July of last year under "OB 407 triage" to see if RQ can be lifted and the decision was to leave it in the queue for assessment. For some reason they re-triaged it again in December - 6 months later - and the decision was made - again - to let it sit in the queue. Aside from that - an officer still has not been assigned to assess it. I am a 2011 applicant. Will reach my 36 months in a matter of days.
Landed: August, 2005
Applied: Feb 2010
Test: Jan 2011
RQ Received: Feb 2011
RQ Submitted: March 2011
Total Waiting Time: 52 months
Office: St-Claire
canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 2:27pm
Not considering it at this point.

Edited by canuck25 - 17 May 2014 at 12:57am
mini_k View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 3:09pm

Hi Canuck25,

Have you had your test yet?

canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 3:45pm
I applied in June 2011, took my test in June 2012 and received RQ at test time. I passed the test, submitted an RQ response in July 2012 and have not heard anything, nor has there been any progress on the file since then based on what I could ascertain from my ATIP requests.

Edited by canuck25 - 29 May 2014 at 11:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic