Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beijing, China Timelines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 27>
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 6:42pm
Yupp. Everything goes in one package and off to CIC-M. That's all you have to do and then it's in their hands and you wait to hear from them. :)
boundary47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boundary47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 7:46pm
I second audball's suggestions, and have a few more to add.

My post at the link below gives an overview that makes sense for China. It's the third one in the thread.

http://www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1835&title=what-are-the-steps-stages-for-outland-applications

Get her started on getting all her documents before you leave for China.  Check what she will need in the Region guide for China.  She'll need a birth certificate, all pages of her hukou, divorce certificate (if she's been married previously), and police clearance from China and any other country in which she's lived for 6 months or more.  It's confusing to get these things in China because the policies are either inconsistent from place to place, or officials don't know them, or (which is common in China) people don't know, but tell you any old thing to avoid saying they don't know.  You'll also need a marriage licence.

You'll have to get any Chinese language documents translated to English or French.  A few need an accredited translator, but most don't.  And there is one that needs to be notarized for some applicants.

Depending on where she lives, you may be able to get translations done by someone you can find through the public notary's office.  You can translate some of them yourself as long as it's an accurate translation.  We did some of ours, but my wife studied English in U and also lived in a English-speaking country for several years.  She still needed my help to find the right words in English to get the real meaning (instead of Chinglish).

Fill out all the forms while you're in China.  Go over them together very carefully. Make sure it's all consistent.  You'll need to print some of them there because she has to sign some of them.  

Bring back all the documents with you, then assemble your package in Canada and send it off to Mississauga.  MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS THERE!  All her documents need to be there, and all of yours.

Good luck!

Oh, and make sure you have all the documents you need to get married.  You may be advised to get them all notarized by the Chinese embassy in Toronto or Vancouver (maybe other places -- I don't know about that.)  But I wouldn't bother with that step.  I would get all the documents needed (passport, certificate of divorce if you've been divorced) and take them to a Canadian Embassy in China if you're in a big city.  They will give you an "affidavit of single status" in less than an hour, for about $30.  You'll have to have it translated to Chinese, but it's far easier to do it that way than to go through the Chinese embassy in Canada.  The Chinese embassy here adds all kinds of complications, and generally gives you a complete run-around.  They tell you one thing one day, another thing the next.  They said I had to send all my required documents into the provincial attorney general's office to get these original government documents authenticated at $30 per page!  But that's another story. DO IT IN CHINA.
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed
dynamo45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamo45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 8:16pm
Wow...thanks very much you guys!!!
She has a mother/brother and a son who is just about 18...none of them are coming to Canada...are there forms that they still need to fill out even if they are not immigrating here?
I have printed off a lot of forms here already to take with me to China, so if she has her documents ready, we can fill it all out, and I will bring it all back with me.
Yes I was told just to go to the embassy in Guangzhou for the single certificate..its very easy.
Do I need the marriage certificate translated into english also?  
Are there any forms you are aware of that I can not print out here and take with me?
"Chinglish"  LOL!!!!!
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 10:29pm
Her son is going to cause some extra work, even though he's not accompanying her to Canada.

If she wants to give up her right to EVER sponsor him to come to Canada, she can pass on some of the paperwork.

But if she thinks she might want him to join her later(he's eligible until he's 22), then he has to undergo a medical examination.

Also, if her son turns 18 before you submit the application then he has to fill out the Schedule 1(background declaration), schedule 1 supplement and additional family information forms. He also has to get police clearance and photos taken.

she then has to write up a statuatory declaration stating that her son will not be coming and whether she wants the right to sponsor him at a later date.

If she knows he will never be sponsored by her, then he doesn't have to be examined and it simplifies things. But it's a lot to give up in case he wants to come over in a couple years

Also, they want EVERYTHING translated to English or French and then have that attached to the original document. I'd be safe and have it all translated to avoid any delays. Only certain things(i.e. police clearances) need an accredited translation so you can translate the rest yourself(if possible) or possibly by a friend or relative for little or nothing.

Edited by audball - 30 Mar 2010 at 10:34pm
chipsfan7mary4 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipsfan7mary4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 10:42pm
If your wife is living in Guangdong province she will have to go through Hong Kong.  My wife lived in Shenzhen and we had to go to Guangzhou for the medicals.  Of course I am assuming she lives in Guangdong as you are going to Guangzhou.  If she goes through Hong Kong prepare for a long wait.
dynamo45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamo45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:05pm
No she lives in Nanning,  Guangzi province. Is that HK or Beijing?
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipsfan7mary4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:22pm
It looks like you are in for a long wait.  Check out this link.  My wife went through Hong Kong and it took 8 months over a year ago.  Now it is around 12 to 14 months.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/hong-kong.asp

I am assuming Guangzi and Guangxi are the same.  If you need advice for Hong Kong let me know as we went through the whole headache that is Hong Kong.

dynamo45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamo45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 12:04am
Oh man that sucks... how do I find out if it is HK that we go through.
I do have another question regarding immigration forms if someone knows..
I have the checklist of forms that she will need on her end...except for one which I can't find..
It is section 2a and it says " Supplemental to Schedule1 form (attached to Appendix A)- You(meaning her) and each of your family members 18 years of age or older must complete their own copy of this form.
I don't know what form that is for starters...and do they  mean EVERY member of her family ( cousins, nieces, Aunts, Uncles, etc) or just mother/brother/
Is this just a supplement of the Background/declaration, or another form altogether?
chipsfan7mary4... I will certainly take you up on your offer...Thank you so much, and audball and B47..thank you both as well...and I apologize, as I am new here, I just realized that I distracted from this whole thread about timelines for everyone and I started turning it into a thread about forms...please forgive my newbienessConfused. I will start another thread with form questions...sorry gang!!
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 12:09am
The supplement is attached to the region specific forms, you'll see it there.

And only her son would have to do it, if he turns 18 before you send it off.

By family, they mean spouse/common law/conjugal partner(which is not you since you are already a canadian citizen or PR), and dependent children. So only her son, and only if he turns 18 before you apply.
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipsfan7mary4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 12:21am
Check out the link I provided and look at the places for family class sponsorship the Hong Kong consulate is responsible for.
Economic class: Hong Kong, Macao and China (People’s Republic of)
Family class: Hong Kong, Macao and Guangdong, Fujian and Hainan Provinces and Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region this as far as I know is the same as Guangzi and Guangxi.  I am pretty sure you will go through Hong Kong as Nanning is in Guangxi.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 27>
  Share Topic