Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Success! CBSA Travel Records request

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pzb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Success! CBSA Travel Records request
    Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 2:10pm
I just received a copy of my travel records from the CBSA.  It shows every time either I or my car entered Canada for the past few years.  I figured I would post the instructions to help others. 

All you need to do is the send a letter similar to the one below.  The request is free and should only take a couple of weeks.

John Macdonald and Laura Secord
24 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K1M 1M4

January 25, 2010

Canada Border Services Agency
Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator
410 Laurier Avenue West, 11th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0L8

Dear ATIP Coordinator:

Pursuant to the Privacy Act, R.S.C. 1985 c. P-21, <I/we> seek access to and copies of traveller history for <myself/ourselves> [and our vehicle(s)].

<I am a/We are both> permanent resident(s) of Canada currently present in Canada. <I/We> wish to receive copies of the records and request to examine the information as-is (<I/we> do not require translation).

To assist with your search for these records, <I am/we are> providing the following additional information about <myself/ourselves>:

Full Name:
Macdonald, John Alexander
Secord, Laura Ingersoll
Date Birth:
January 11, 1815
September 13, 1775
Female
Country of Citizenship:
United Kingdom
United States of America
Travel Document Type:
Passport
Passport
Travel Document Number:
Permanent Resident ID number:
4321-9876
2143-6789

<I/We> are also providing the following information about <my/our> vehicles:
License Number:
ABCD 123
BBAD 456
Province/State:
Ontario
Ontario

<We each authorize and consent to the disclosure of our personal information to each other.>

Please find enclosed copies of <my/our> passport(s) and vehicle registration(s).

If you have any questions regarding this request, please contact either of us by telephone at
+1 (613) 555-1212 or via email at [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank you for your consideration of this request. <I/We> will look forward to receiving your prompt reply.

Sincerely,

John A. Macdonald                              Laura I. Secord

Edited by pzb - 14 Mar 2010 at 10:13am
iwannabecanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwannabecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 3:36pm
how does the travel history look like?  how would it look like if i have no trips?
pzb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pzb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 7:26pm
Each vehicle gets a report showing date & time of the border crossing, nexus usage, and passenger breakdown by nationality (Canadian, US, and other resident) and time out of country (same day, 24 hrs, 48 hrs).

Each person crossing via Air (or train/boat/etc) has date & time, location, referral status, and document used to enter the country.

I would amend one thing on the template: the individual's name should be in the format "SURNAME, given name(s)".  This is how it shows on the traveller passage report.
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 7:35pm
pzb,
did you send just the letter or copy of your PR card/passports as well in order to support the letter?

Edited by canvis2006 - 10 Mar 2010 at 7:37pm
pzb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pzb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 7:48pm
I sent the letter plus copies of the picture page of each of our passports, both sides of our PR cards, and a copy of our car's registration papers.

One note: I have just reviewed all the data, and it is clearly missing entries that I did using my NEXUS card.  I'm going to call them the CBSA ATIP office tomorrow to find out which department handles NEXUS ATIP requests.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 7:58pm
Thanks pzb.....your positive experience will enable many to obtain the entry/exit records from CBSA.....it can be very useful for citizenship application as well.
Edmonton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmonton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 1:33am
could you tell us more info about that NEXUS card you mentioned
pzb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pzb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 5:30am
Originally posted by Edmonton Edmonton wrote:

could you tell us more info about that NEXUS card you mentioned

The NEXUS program is a joint US/Canada program that for frequent border crossers.  Quoting the CBSA website:
Quote NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html

You get a small card, the size of a drivers' license or credit card, that you use to identify yourself to automated immigration machines, bypassing the immigration officer altogether.  Additionally, when entering by boat or land, the NEXUS card is proof of identity and citizenship and residence for US and Canadian citizens, so one does not need to carry their passport if driving over the border.
bajava View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 12:27pm

pzb you said -

Each person crossing via Air (or train/boat/etc) has date & time, location, referral status, and document used to enter the country.

Could you please elaborate what does referral status mean?

Thank you!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 8:04pm
Bajava,

I believe the "referral" only means whether or not the traveler was referred to immigration secondary inspection from the cbsa (primary) customs officer. Usually all people entering first time (non-citizens) are required to be examined/authorized by Immigration Canada.

Usually Canadian Citizens and PR's do not need to be examined by secondary immigration unless there are issues (passport,residency,other,etc). They simply get the customs card and their status cleared at primary and proceed right away to baggage hall....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic