Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - INTERVIEW: Test-Event - ID/Documents Verification
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INTERVIEW: Test-Event - ID/Documents Verification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canadiantobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 12:41am
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

Actually I created this thread precisely for the purpose of posting reports about individual experiences in the interview and document check (usually at the test event).

So posts such as that by montrealia should indeed be appreciated.

And of course I added some information from other sources and some analysis.

One thing I did not do above is specifically detail what documents are checked at the interview. The instructions included in the Notice are quite specific and clear, so for the most part few should have questions about this. However, there is the open-ended supporting documents such as "birth certificate" item, which for most really is not something necessary -- I brought mine but it was not looked at, for example -- my sense is that this is indeed an open-ended item intended to request the presentation of any original document a copy of which was sent with the application, so that it is available if CIC has a question or concern related to it in particular. Remember, for example, some applicants are stateless persons who do not have a passport and so the birth certificate is a key identity document.

In any event, in terms of the actual documents, minimum and most important:

-- all passports (all relevant travel documents actually)

-- Two pieces of identification (preferably the same pieces of identification a copy of which was submitted with the application)

-- PR card

-- CoPR (confirmation of landing)

For passports, remember to bring properly authenticated translations if there is anything in the passport in a language other than English or French.

And, for that open-ended "supporting documents" item, probably best to bring the original of any other document a copy of which was included in the application, although this is probably not nearly as critical as the specific documents identified above.

How about the originals of the documents that we sent with the RQ? EX. TAXES, SCHOOL RECORDS, HEALTH RECORDS? 

Hoping to be Canadian!
montrealia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montrealia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 8:17am
They didn't ask my husband for the originals of the documents that were sent with the RQ. They had looked at his RQ and they didn't look much as anything he had with him. 
Office: Guess!!!
Received: 25 May 2011
In Process: 26 Jun 2012
pre-test RQ submitted: 03 Aug 2012
PR card renewed: June-Sept 2013, no issues
Test: 26 March 2014
Oath: 7 August 2014
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 8:37am

Originally posted by Canadiantobe Canadiantobe wrote:

How about the originals of the documents that we sent with the RQ? EX. TAXES, SCHOOL RECORDS, HEALTH RECORDS?

This is a common question among those applicants who have responded to a pre-test RQ and so far as the reports in this forum have gone, no one has reported an interviewer asking for, interested in, or examining such documents. Most seem inclined to bring them (best to organize separately from the original passports, PR card, ID forms, CoPR, and such) just-in-case.

I have not personally seen a copy of the notice sent to pre-test RQ'd applicants and do not know if it differs from the notice and instructions sent to routine applicants.

The main thing, after all, is to FOLLOW the INSTRUCTIONS, the instructions in the notice you actually receive from CIC.

Personally, I would (and did even though I had not been issued RQ) bring (again, organized separately from the specifically instructed documents) KEY documents, like CRA notices, proof of rental or home ownership, school records (albeit school records are also requested as part of the application now, so they would be included in the instruction to bring originals of supporting documents submitted with the application); I would not bring the whole RQ response (some have reported doing this, though again none that I noticed report an interviewer being interested in it), but stay focused on a few key documents. In my interview, a routine case (no RQ), the interviewer was obviously rushing through the process and focused entirely on the passports, PR card, and ID.

Reminder: the documents check interview is focused on verification, verification of specific documents and related information (stamps in passports consistent with travel declarations, for example; address on ID consistent with applicant's reported address, and so on). It is NOT a hearing, NOT an opportunity to make one's case, not an opportunity to present additional documentation or information, or to argue the merits of one's case. For those given RQ, that opportunity was covered by the response to RQ, and if that did not suffice to satisfy CIC, the applicant will have a further opportunity at a hearing with the Citizenship Judge.     

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
wkhan3513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkhan3513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 12:22pm
Had my St. Clair Test-Interview recently.

Phase 1 was test - The officers were friendly and ushered us into the test room.
Test was easy - I read from Discovery & did a few online tests (googled) as prepwork. Got 20/20.

This thread was very informative - So I checked and double checked the documents that are asked in the Test Invite, and kept them organized.
A. Passport
B. PR Card
C. Drivers License
D. Health Card
E. Landing paper
I also took a clean color copy of each. I was expecting them to take a copy of my passport biographical pages & a copy of my Landing paper. But they asked only for a copy of PR card & License - Most likely because these were recently renewed.

For the general request - Which asks to bring the 'original documents which support your citizenship' I just took the key documents like CRA/T4 & Property ownership papers, but was not asked for any of this. Neither it seemed during the course of interview that I might be asked to show any of these. But taking the key documents served the purpose of 'Moral/mental support', knowing it is there with you.

My interview was 6 to 8 minutes long - The main focus of which was (As i had always expected) the time I stayed back in the US on H1B visa after landing. I was asked very specifically, when I started to stay in canada, and why was I in the US before that, which I explained. [My history : I had stayed about 8 months before I moved to Canada Permanently. And in those 8 months in the US after landing, I visited Canada many times for various reasons, visiing family, finding job, finding apt for the family to move in etc, which I explained ]. THIS I HAD ALWAYS SUSPECTED TO BE THE RED FLAG FOR ME GETTING THE RQ.

Another thing I was asked is what I do for a living, and when told that I am a self incorporated professional (self employed), he asked me some details about the projects I do, which I explained taking one minute. He seemed satisfied. He asked me if I did the same thing in the US before I came to live in Canada.

He verified the stamps in the passport against my entries and asked why there are no stamps for travel between Canada & US, I mentioned, that they dont stamp at the US canada border. The US Side usually stamps only once and uses a white form called I-94 - to which he agreed (nodding).

Another question was where I lived, becasue I have moved since replying to the RQ. I answered as matter of fact, then he asked me where I lived before, and when I replied he was visually verifying in the RQ paper which he had in his hand. He asked me when I moved and also asked me whether I received the test notice at the new address., which I replied yes, because I had updated my address on the Citizenship ecas online, after my address changed. He seemed satisfied.

After which he gave me back all the original IDs., and told me

' I am satisfied and will recommend your application to the citizenship judge, who gets the final word. You may expect to receive an invite for taking the citizenship OATH in the next 3 to 4 months, however it depends on the citizenship judge who may decide to call you for an interview, in which case the wait time may be longer. Best of Luck. Any Questions ? '

My Timeline Till Date :

Appl received - Oct 2012
Start processing - Feb 2013
RQ'd : May 2013
RQ reply sent : July 2013
Notice to Prepare for the test : Jan 2014
Test Invite received & Test (Test was 12 business days after receipt of Invitation) : April 2014
Oath : ??????????????? [Expecting - knock on wood - July/August ]

Edited by wkhan3513 - 17 Apr 2014 at 1:17pm
cvv31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cvv31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 2:31pm
Here is my experience. I just took the test on Monday April 14th in Ottawa.

First the test. I found it super easy and got 20/20.

They were about 30 people so after test is completed,one by one, we all sit in the waiting room for our turn for the interview. I was one of the last so I observed other candidates.

Based on my observations: the interview takes about 5 minutes per people and some of them end up with a white paper in their hand (I figured out afterwards it is the instruction sheet you get if you fail the test).

My turn came and the lady officer was super nice and smiling. She asked me first my passport(s) so I gave my current and previous one, my PR card and she looked at my face to see if the photo matches!!

Then she checked my driving license and health card.

Then she asked me what is my job and how long have I been working, then she asked me if I had kids, how many and their ages (she asked the exact same questions to my spouse, separately).

Then she said I will be called for the oath between 1 to 3 months and I should wait for the letter.

She concluded by a happy "Have a nice day!"
Application Received: Jun 10 - 2011; In Process: Sept 7 - 2012; RQ received: Sept 7 - 2012; Test Date: April 14 -2014
Sina2009 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sina2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 11:06am
Originally posted by wkhan3513 wkhan3513 wrote:

Had my St. Clair Test-Interview recently.

Phase 1 was test - The officers were friendly and ushered us into the test room.
Test was easy - I read from Discovery & did a few online tests (googled) as prepwork. Got 20/20.

This thread was very informative - So I checked and double checked the documents that are asked in the Test Invite, and kept them organized.
A. Passport
B. PR Card
C. Drivers License
D. Health Card
E. Landing paper
I also took a clean color copy of each. I was expecting them to take a copy of my passport biographical pages & a copy of my Landing paper. But they asked only for a copy of PR card & License - Most likely because these were recently renewed.

For the general request - Which asks to bring the 'original documents which support your citizenship' I just took the key documents like CRA/T4 & Property ownership papers, but was not asked for any of this. Neither it seemed during the course of interview that I might be asked to show any of these. But taking the key documents served the purpose of 'Moral/mental support', knowing it is there with you.

My interview was 6 to 8 minutes long - The main focus of which was (As i had always expected) the time I stayed back in the US on H1B visa after landing. I was asked very specifically, when I started to stay in canada, and why was I in the US before that, which I explained. [My history : I had stayed about 8 months before I moved to Canada Permanently. And in those 8 months in the US after landing, I visited Canada many times for various reasons, visiing family, finding job, finding apt for the family to move in etc, which I explained ]. THIS I HAD ALWAYS SUSPECTED TO BE THE RED FLAG FOR ME GETTING THE RQ.

Another thing I was asked is what I do for a living, and when told that I am a self incorporated professional (self employed), he asked me some details about the projects I do, which I explained taking one minute. He seemed satisfied. He asked me if I did the same thing in the US before I came to live in Canada.

He verified the stamps in the passport against my entries and asked why there are no stamps for travel between Canada & US, I mentioned, that they dont stamp at the US canada border. The US Side usually stamps only once and uses a white form called I-94 - to which he agreed (nodding).

Another question was where I lived, becasue I have moved since replying to the RQ. I answered as matter of fact, then he asked me where I lived before, and when I replied he was visually verifying in the RQ paper which he had in his hand. He asked me when I moved and also asked me whether I received the test notice at the new address., which I replied yes, because I had updated my address on the Citizenship ecas online, after my address changed. He seemed satisfied.

After which he gave me back all the original IDs., and told me

' I am satisfied and will recommend your application to the citizenship judge, who gets the final word. You may expect to receive an invite for taking the citizenship OATH in the next 3 to 4 months, however it depends on the citizenship judge who may decide to call you for an interview, in which case the wait time may be longer. Best of Luck. Any Questions ? '

My Timeline Till Date :

Appl received - Oct 2012
Start processing - Feb 2013
RQ'd : May 2013
RQ reply sent : July 2013
Notice to Prepare for the test : Jan 2014
Test Invite received & Test (Test was 12 business days after receipt of Invitation) : April 2014
Oath : ??????????????? [Expecting - knock on wood - July/August ]

I am still confused as to which documents to take for where it says original documents that support your citizenship application. I am a student at u of t and don't own a house or a car. I have my test on April 29th and don't really know which docs to take. Please help 

wkhan3513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkhan3513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 3:36pm
Hi

Other than the A, B, C, D, E and their copies I mentioned in the post, I would recommend you taking CRA NOAs / T4s / Paystubs originals. Although not needed but these are a good indicator of your residency other than the stamp entries in your passports.

If you are the RQ candidate, you must have already submitted a big pack to them, and you are not expected to take to the test/interview any originals of what you already submitted in the RQ.

Concentrate on the A, B, C, D, E and MAKE SURE you have all the stamps translated if not in English - this will be BIGGEST item.

Edited by wkhan3513 - 28 Apr 2014 at 3:38pm
gary35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 2:19pm
This is my interview/test day expereince for Vancouver BC office.  

Arrived early around 80-100 people for the test.  Its very orderly and they ll explain things to you very nicely-no rush.  You have 30 minutes to do 20 questions.  Dont worry about test.  Test is very easy if you studied the booklet and done some online testing.  They will explain everything how to mark answers and what happens after that.  Took only 5-6 minutes to do the test.  You cannot discuss questions or answers or anything about test-so that's why you wont find anyone telling you anything about the exact questions but the test itself isnt hard.  And you only need to get 15 out of 20 right.  

Then came the interview and verification of documents.  Checked ID went over the application_i had the CBSA report copy and gave it to her.  She only asked about one time that CBSA report didnt have but I had honestly marked gone for 2 days to USA.  Nothing fancy here.  I only had 35 days outside Canada so she didnt ask much about it-although there was one error ( I realized after sending the application once I got CBSA report) and she corrected that.  The officer was really ncie.  Only took maybe 5-10 minutes.  She made copies of an expired passport that was first used to enter Canada(I thought I had included that in my application, anyways...).  She said a Judge will confirm the approval and Oath is in 3-5 months.  I asked her how I did on test-I am pretty sure I Ace'd it-but she said we can only tell pass or fail :(  Nothing to fret really.  Just make sure you are on time.  Oh, no food or drinks allowed  only water.  Saw a couple of people with coffee that the guard made them finish or throw in garbage before proceeding.
fox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by gary35 gary35 wrote:

This is my interview/test day expereince for Vancouver BC office.  

Arrived early around 80-100 people for the test.  Its very orderly and they ll explain things to you very nicely-no rush.  You have 30 minutes to do 20 questions.  Dont worry about test.  Test is very easy if you studied the booklet and done some online testing.  They will explain everything how to mark answers and what happens after that.  Took only 5-6 minutes to do the test.  You cannot discuss questions or answers or anything about test-so that's why you wont find anyone telling you anything about the exact questions but the test itself isnt hard.  And you only need to get 15 out of 20 right.  

Then came the interview and verification of documents.  Checked ID went over the application_i had the CBSA report copy and gave it to her.  She only asked about one time that CBSA report didnt have but I had honestly marked gone for 2 days to USA.  Nothing fancy here.  I only had 35 days outside Canada so she didnt ask much about it-although there was one error ( I realized after sending the application once I got CBSA report) and she corrected that.  The officer was really ncie.  Only took maybe 5-10 minutes.  She made copies of an expired passport that was first used to enter Canada(I thought I had included that in my application, anyways...).  She said a Judge will confirm the approval and Oath is in 3-5 months.  I asked her how I did on test-I am pretty sure I Ace'd it-but she said we can only tell pass or fail :(  Nothing to fret really.  Just make sure you are on time.  Oh, no food or drinks allowed  only water.  Saw a couple of people with coffee that the guard made them finish or throw in garbage before proceeding.

thats good
did you have RQ for the 35 days you travelled?
how did you get the CBSA report?
gary35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 9:24pm
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/req-dem-priv-eng.html

You can request it here or online.  No I didnt have RQ for entries but I did have RQ for name change-which I gave them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic