Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CIC SPELLED MY SURNAME WRONG . . .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boundary47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CIC SPELLED MY SURNAME WRONG . . .
    Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 7:31pm
I received a letter from the Case Processing Centre yesterday saying I have met the eligibility requirements to sponsor my wife and her dependent daughter.  All good . . . except that they misspelled my surname!

I don't want to delay our application being processed, but obviously the spelling mistake must be corrected.

Any suggestions as to where I should write to bring this error to CIC's attention?

Thanks,
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed
Siouxie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siouxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 7:55pm
I would send a case specific enquiry to the office processing your application (and/or where you got the letter from) attaching a scanned copy of the letter and a scanned copy of your Canadian ID showing your full name, etc. and ask them to amend the record.

Alternatively, if you have a client ID number call the CIC call centre and ask them how to go about it.

Smile
fountain_80 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fountain_80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by boundary47 boundary47 wrote:

I received a letter from the Case Processing Centre yesterday saying I have met the eligibility requirements to sponsor my wife and her dependent daughter.  All good . . . except that they misspelled my surname!

I don't want to delay our application being processed, but obviously the spelling mistake must be corrected.

Any suggestions as to where I should write to bring this error to CIC's attention?

Thanks,

In my opinion, if its just a typo on their letter then its no big of a deal given all the forms had correct spelling. Now once the application is in your spouses's home country, they will have all the forms with correct name (if there was no typo) anyways. They are now suppose to process your spouse's application and not re-qualify you as sponsor again. 
boundary47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boundary47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 12:30am
It's not only in the letter.  I have to use their erroneous spelling of my name to log into ECAS.
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed
fountain_80 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fountain_80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 12:36am

Call CIC, they should be able to handle your request.

bflava View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bflava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 6:05am
call CIC to ask for help on going about this, or you can send a case specific email to the visa office processing your wife's application with the correct neame and point them to the wrong spelling.

just try this and lets see.

good luck
the darkest hour lies nearest the dawn
boundary47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boundary47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 5:52pm
Spoke to CIC-Mississauga this morning about the error.  I must send a signed letter or fax to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga to them tell them about the error. I'm also sending them a photocopy of the bio-identity page of my passport just to be on the safe side.  They will update their database and will also ensure the file is corrected in Beijing.

Edited by boundary47 - 10 Mar 2010 at 6:08pm
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed
bflava View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bflava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 6:16pm
There you go, make sure it done ASAP

good luck
the darkest hour lies nearest the dawn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic