Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Urgent Passport after Oath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bangloboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urgent Passport after Oath
    Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 2:41pm
Hi all - as my luck would have it I actually need to urgently leave the country - actually March 21 to be exact. My oath is scheduled for March 19. Does anyone have experience with urgent passport process getting done even before the usual "2 business day" wait. I'm suddenly faced with a personal issue and my current nationality doesn't allow reentry into Canada without visa and my PR card will be surrendered by the 19th. Does anyone know if I can submit passport application the day after oath and request urgent 24-hour process by paying higher fee.

Please share your valid experience if any - thanks!

UPDATED: HERES MY EXPERIENCE AND THANKS TO ALL! WONDERFUL NEWS AND HERES THE TIPS:

When I had my Oath yesterday (19th March) I explained to the officer after my oath about my situation - he said they had no control but to wait till around 12pm today (20th March) and then go to Passport Canada and explain and hope it is in the system. So I went to the North York Passport Canada office right after noon today. The man checked my documents and explained that I have to be in the system as it usually is a 48 hour wait but he said I can try my luck and explain my situation - I took a number. Once my number got called the lady looked through my documents and then checked to see if I was on the system - and voila I was on the system :)

I also took my Guarantor WITH ME - i think this is very important. She then asked my guarantor how long she has known me and when she signed my application. I also took my Ticket Booking which is the 2nd important item. She verified that and my flight is scheduled for tomorrow night! She then said my passport will be ready for 4PM TODAY THU MARCH 20! :)

She just told me that Passport Canada will be calling my references over the next hour or so. Which they did so that's the 3rd very important criteria. Ensure that all your references are ready to pick up the phone, that they verify they know you exact same time you put in the application and their addresses match!

So my passport will be ready for 4PM TODAY! Whole process in less than 4 hours after a less than 24 hour wait. I expected to pick up tomorrow but I was actually impressed by the level of service they are providing. Oh and they charge $110 extra for the fast service but it is worth it if you are in a situation like myself.

All the best - mind you the most important thing is that you are put into the system, that you have all documentary reasoning, your Guarantor physically goes with you and your references are ready to vouch for you.

Great to be a Canadian! :)

Edited by bangloboy - 20 Mar 2014 at 3:16pm
xero9 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xero9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 8:45pm
Saw someone at my wife's oath who needed to fly same day.  They ended up leaving without taking the oath so they could keep their PR card.

You may need to delay either your trip by a couple of days or delay your oath.  You'll have to decide which one is less of a hassle 
greeny View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by xero9 xero9 wrote:

They ended up leaving without taking the oath so they could keep their PR card.
 OMG Shocked
landed: May, 2003

applied: Dec04,2009

test/RQ: Feb15,2011 st.clair
2nd RQ: Aug 2014
Total waiting time to oath: 60,5 months :)= 5 years and 14 days
oath- Dec , 2014
nureya View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nureya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 9:46pm
Am sure there must be a way .....is there something like travel document u can get from your home country
vanbb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanbb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 10:39pm
http://www.passport.gc.ca/info/service.aspx?lang=eng&region=Canada#PPTC

Urgent pick-up  Additional fee $110  24hours
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 10:50pm
Hi

Originally posted by vanbb vanbb wrote:

http://www.passport.gc.ca/info/service.aspx?lang=eng®ion=Canada#PPTCUrgent pick-up  Additional fee $110  24hours

Except that you can't apply for the passport until 2 days have elapsed from the OATH.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/cit-ceremony.asp
PMM
mvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 12:40am
If you fly via countries (gulf countries) which doesn't need transit airport visa, to your home country, then you don't need to worry about PR card.

Edited by mvb - 14 Mar 2014 at 12:40am

bangloboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bangloboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 2:54am
No - gulf countries still ask to see PR or visa prior to boarding. I know that Friday will be 48 hours after oath and I can apply with proof of ticket and authorize someone to pick it up and then get it fedexed. That's my option and also try my luck on Thursday if they will accept. Requesting oath reschedule after so long of a wait is out of the question and possible judge review etc - nope not doing that!
xero9 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xero9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 9:55am
What time is your flight on the Friday?

I could see one of two things..  Either they'll be able to create the passport before you actually leave (I believe the locations that offer urgent service actually produce them in house) which will be great for you, OR, if you show up with only say 4 hours to spare, they may decline urgent service as it wouldn't be possible for them to create it in time.

IF it's the latter and you have funds available on a credit card, you may consider purchasing a 100% refundable ticket for say Monday evening, having someone pick up your passport Monday morning and FedEx it to you, which would also lower your urgent processing fee, then simply cancel your flight and get your money back.
bangloboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bangloboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 10:56am
Thanks for your suggestions - I already have the ticket ready if that's going to help. Flights on Friday night
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic