Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Absence AFTER application?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Absence AFTER application?
    Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 11:05am
Hi all - I would be very grateful for as much help with this as possible....LONG STORY - WARNING !

I left Canada July 2008 after living and working there since Sept 1999 ie almost 9 years as a tax-paying Permanent resident (from UK originally). I left because my divorce came through in July 2008 and I just needed a long break to get over it. Decided to go on sabbatical to Europe to clear head and get over trauma. House had already been sold as part of divorce proceedings. Sold car and set off on my travels to Europe on a one way ticket as I had no idea where my journey would go or how long I would be.....travelled around Europe staying with friends from Aug to Dec 2008.

In Jan 2009 I arrived in England (homeland) to visit with family - elderly parents and brother. I still felt vague about my future but wanted to maintain all that I had worked for in Canada all those years so I looked up citizenship rules. Saw that my deadline for absence of 1095 was approaching so quickly sent in applicaiton.

So....I made my applicaiton in March 2009 from the UK where I was visiting family.

I made the application AS THOUGH I was in edmonton because I expected to be going back within a short period so I did not want to get all snarled up by applying through the London Embassy. Are you with me so far ?! I know this could be seen as misleading but it seemed logical to me at the time because I expected to be back home in Edm by summer of 2009 ie absence of 1 year.

However suddenly both parents took falls and went into different Hospitals in different parts of country. Brother then collapsed and also went into hospital due to stress. I am oldest child, I decided to step in and help look after everyone. Cannot really beleive it that another whole year has gone by. Now my Dad is installed in a care home and my Mum is going in and out of Hospital regularly with one complicaiton after another. She is waiting for an urgent hip operation. I have lived all this time in a very temporary way. I bought a car in March 2009 as it was obvious that hiring cars and paying for trains was way expensive and I decided to buy an old banger for as long as  I needed it then sell it as soon as I was ready to go back to Canada. I dont have a rental contract, I just work for my lodgings, and I havent worked here so no taxes to pay (have been living off divorce settlement monies).

So got letter in the mail forwarded by canadian friend to summon me to my exam week after next. I am very pleased to see all the tests we can practice online so am not so scraed about that aspect but I am very worried that my long absence from Canada....July 22 2008 to March 17 2010 is going to put a giant red flag on my case. Please can any of you who know anything about this tell me what to expect?

I have been reading about the dreaded RQ. If I get one how long will I have to wait for follow-up hearing with a Judge? How long should I plan on staying in Canada? I have to come back here to tie up my affairs/sell car etc so I cant just fly over and resume a life there right off the bat. I have been looking after my Mum and very concerned she did not have long left so didnt want to go back to Canada if she was about to die.

I will tell them the truth as simply as I can but I must say it worries me that this is going to involve a lot of flights to and fro and uncertainty and geenral financial strain at a bad time for me as it is.

If you can throw light on what to expect on the day it would be very helpful. do I just get called in to a room with a straight faced judge for 5 mins who asks me YES/NO type quesitons and who I cant explain myself to?
Thanks

crocus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 11:07am
Oh I just realised something.

I sent in my applicaiton on March 6 2009 and I will be back in country on March 17th 2010 so although I have been away from Canada for almost 21 months in all I have actually only been absent from Canada for 12 months total since I put in application.......maybe that helps?

I do want to come back longer term but I have been very affected by my Mums decline and have felt torn about leaving her.

thankyou
sugarmanic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugarmanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 12:39pm
The fact that you have been away for so long is red flag , you might even get hassled at the airport and your even PR is in jeopardy.You cant be away from canada on PR for longer than six month except for special situations.
crocus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 1:05pm
huh that is the very first time I heard that....I looked up PR conditions before I left and it says officially that to maintain PR you must reside in Canada for 2 years within a 5 year period....which I have? So I am shocked by what you say.....where did you get this info please so I can check into it?

thanks
sugarmanic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugarmanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 1:27pm
read this page

Must I stay in Canada following landing?

Permanent residents are not obliged to remain in Canada, and are in no way restricted from departure at any time. However, the longer a permanent resident is absent from Canada after landing, the greater the risk that permanent resident status may be jeopardized. If you know in advance that you will be absent from Canada for more than 183 days in any 12 month period, you may want to apply for a Returning Resident Permit.

scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 1:35pm
The information provided about being away from the country for longer than six months on a PR is completely incorrect. No such rule exists. To maintain PR, you must be present in Canada for two out of every five years (rolling five years). If you want to remain out of the country for longer than six months, that's your business (as long as you meet residency requirements).

Having said that, the fact that you have been away from Canada for so long may raise some red flags during the Citizenship process and may cause questions to be asked about whether you intend to make Canada your home in the future. I think you should be prepared to receive an RQ. (I'll leave it to someone else to comment on RQ time frames.) The fact that you need to return to the UK soon won't help. Another option that some might suggest is that you withdraw your citizenship application and submit it again once you have returned to live in Canada permanently and have accumulated sufficient residency days.

Again, I'll leave it to a more experienced member to comment on your options. However the six month bit relating to PR is definitely wrong.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
crocus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 1:38pm
i have checked cic site as it seems that would be the most up to date and the laws have changed....well i hope so otherwise i just blew 1000bucks on an airfare to get turned away at edmonton airport !!
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 1:39pm
Crocus - Is your PR card still valid? (i.e. when does it expire?)
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
crocus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 1:59pm
valid to 7th July 2013 - I applied for it before I left.

I knew I would be away for a while and so I made sure I still had PR to be able to get back in.

I am new to this forum and to the concept of being slapped with an RQ. For sure I expetced an interview but from what I am reading (avidly !) I am picking up that the process will be that I may get an RQ in the mail before I arrive at Test day or I may get one on the day or I may get sent 1 later - is this right? And whenever I get one they will require me to submit many docs.....

So can I check with everyone who has gone thro this process a couple of things:

....what is edmonton situation like? do you get questioned by scarey officials who expect yes/no answers over 2 min period ? and then the process is sit the test and then get an RQ or not? Or do you get questioned at more length? I want to know whether to go prepared to be very short and succinct or whether to just be an obedient robot and answer yes/no.....

....i have stayed on here because i had to choose between being with my mum in her last days and coming back.....ok she has not died yet so they may say too bad i am making it up but i have asked her Dr to provide a letter to say yes she has been poorly all of 2009 and in and out of hospital numerous times.

Problems I can see for me are:

- out of country for last 21 months - 12 of which are since I applied
- applied from UK but went thro process as tho I lived in Edm (for reasons stated above) which they may not like
- dont own house or car in edmonton presently
- am living off savings ie do not work presently
- will have to file tax return in uk for 2009 even tho i have no taxable earnings to speak of....just coz of their residency laws....

But on the plus side I lived and worked in Canada from 1999 to 2008 with all T4s filed....

???????????????? 
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 2:36pm
I believe you are OK but ONLY so long as you were honest in your initial application for citizenship -- if you honestly completed the residency calculation you submitted, that is, that you did, indeed, honestly list your time away from Canada. If you were honest about your absences you should be OK. In contrast, if in that form you misrepresented your absences from Canada (including by omission) that is problematic. It appears you probably did fudge this, since you say you made the application "as if" you were in Edmonton. I wince. Misrepresentation is a serious matter.

This is not about what your residential "address" was (that is often a matter of personal election and while it must be a reasonable place given your circumstances and ties, it does not always correspond to the physical location one might be even for relatively long periods of time) but about "trips" outside Canada. You could have filed your application based on your permanent address in Canada but still have honestly reported your most recent trip abroad. If that is what you did, good, great actually because I would have thought that might trigger the RQ but if you have been scheduled for the test that means, as I understand it, that you have already passed the "assessment" of your qualifications for citizenship.

If you did not honestly report that trip abroad, I think you have a serious problem. I don't think that problem necessarily goes away if you return and take the test and get to take the oath of a citizen. It will forever be there, your citizenship will forever be predicated on a misrepresentation, and thus always subject to revocation.

The rest of what follows is based on the assumption you did not honestly report your absence from Canada in the residency calculation:
(If you did report the absence and made the app as if you were residing in Edmonton, I think you can ignore what follows.)

Probably a pretty good chance, perhaps even an excellent chance, you could slide by on this. There is little reason for CBSA to flag you for a residency investigation upon your re-entry into Canada (no idea either where this supposed "six months" rule comes from, but I am pretty sure it is simply not true; even if a six month absence would often trigger increased scrutiny upon returning to Canada, your explanation and absence for less than two years falls well within the PR residency requirements so should not evoke an investigation or report). And, again, being scheduled for the test suggests that the assessment phase is complete.

So you very well could stroll past the issue without a hassle. Not without anxiety however. If, for example, CBSA did decide to take a much closer look and in the process it became apparent to CIC that there was a significant discrepancy between what you reported in your residency calculation and your actual absences from Canada, BOOM, problems, serious problems, obviously a denial of the citizenship app for misrepresentation (even though given what you have said, you probably otherwise did qualify), possible criminal prosecution, possible revocation of PR and removal from Canada, and so on.

Please, for your own benefit, do not dig yourself in any deeper if they do happen to open this can of worms; going forward be honest. If you are honest, there is a very good chance that they may either re-assess your qualifications for citizenship, focus on residency (for which it seems, from your timeline, you should be okay since you were out of Canada less than a year out of the four years immediately preceding the date of your application), or because of the misrepresentation simply deny the application in which case you will have to file again and of course given your absence for more than a year it will be another three years before you qualify. My impression is that they are relatively forgiving, even generous, so long as they are impressed you really are permanently settled in Canada and but for one or two indiscretions that you will be honest going forward. No guarantee but I believe, if you are forthright and forthcoming, this is the more likely outcome.

Albeit, yes, you could face denial of the app, proceedings to revoke PR and removal, even criminal prosecution.

This is not the sort of thing you want to play games with or "fudge." To the extent you already have, that's history, but going forward it is time to do things right.

Edited by dpenabill - 08 Mar 2010 at 2:41pm
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic