Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR Info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PR Info
    Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 12:55am
Goodday,

Can you please help me:

02 May 2010 to 27 March 2011 - completed 330days

My PR will expire in June 2015.

Plan to come back as from:-

01 May 2014 to 30 JUNE 2015 - 426days

Can you please confirm if my calculation is good to apply for PR Renewal.

Thanks
 Smiley
DaisyM
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by milman milman wrote:

Goodday,

Can you please help me:

02 May 2010 to 27 March 2011 - completed 330 days

My PR will expire in June 2015.

Plan to come back as from:-

01 May 2014 to 30 JUNE 2015 - 426days

Can you please confirm if my calculation is good to apply for PR Renewal.

ThanksĀ 

PR status does not expire. PR cards, however, do expire.

Cannot confirm. Not enough information. Date the PR card expires is not relevant.

Moreover, if you apply to renew your PR card June 30, 2015, the days you were present in May and up to June 29, 2010 will NOT count, since they are more than five years previous to June 30, 2015.

Reminder:

Unless you landed (and became a PR) within the previous five years, the residency obligation is determined by looking backwards for five years, within which a failure to be in Canada for at least 730 days would constitute a breach of the obligation.

If you landed and became a PR less than five years ago, the total number of days you have been present in Canada plus number of days left to the five year anniversary of the day you landed must total 730.

Again, the expiration date on the PR card does not matter.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Maha1961 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maha1961 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 12:58pm
I don't know if I have to renew my PR or I can wait and apply for citizenship when I will be eligible for it  .

Thank you in advance for your support.

Edited by Maha1961 - 18 Feb 2014 at 1:51pm
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Maha1961 Maha1961 wrote:

I don't know if I have to renew my PR or I can wait and apply for citizenship when I will be eligible for it .

Thank you in advance for your support.

Depends.

There is no requirement to have a valid PR card, so there is nothing specifically wrong with not renewing the PR card.

Notwithstanding this, if the card will expire before you apply for citizenship, probably a good idea to have a currently valid card when you apply.

If any travel abroad is at all likely, best to obtain a renewal of the PR card.

Mine is currently expired for example and I probably will not renew it -- but I already applied for citizenship and in fact am scheduled for the test-event interview soon, and have a scheduled date to take the oath (conditional on outcome of the test-event interview). Moreover, I have had no plans to travel abroad since before my PR card was about to expire.

Note: be aware that proposed legislation will increase the residency requirement for citizenship and implement an intent to continue living in Canada requirement, if it is adopted (which is likely).

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Maha1961 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maha1961 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 4:56pm
As I know I have to submit all of enter and exit stamp for the last 2 years in four years which it will cost me with no use, for this reason I don't want to renew .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic