Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transfer Application to Local CIC office

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drsamijoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transfer Application to Local CIC office
    Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 10:30pm
Dear all, 

I'm wondering if in the online status after clicking on "in progress" , it really appears when the citizenship application has been transferred to the closest CIC office or not?

Or all we read here about the application transferring are just guesses ?

Your help is much appreciated,
Sam
Sam
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 4:12am

Originally posted by drsamijoon drsamijoon wrote:

I'm wondering if in the online status after clicking on "in progress" , it really appears when the citizenship application has been transferred to the closest CIC office or not?

Or all we read here about the application transferring are just guesses ?

No, "in process" no longer means that the application has been transferred to the local office. Has not meant this for over a year now. CIC has not updated its explanation for terms on the website, one of their many failings in communication.

In the past that is what it appeared to actually mean . . . going back to 2012 and before anyway . . . . when the application status was "in process" the file was either already transferred or was at least in effect on its way.

I am not sure what source of information, about dates of transfer to the local office, all the reports in various forums, including this one, are based upon. Some apparently get this information via a telephone call to the CIC call centre. Some make an ATIP request and appear to know from that. Some may be inferring it. Others have received communication from the local office which of course would indicate the file has been transferred. And of course this forum, like others, has its share of BS and some outright misinformation.

To my view it is not information worth making an effort to find out unless there already has been an unusual delay in progressing to the next step . . . but even that timeline is very difficult to guess and it appears to still vary considerably from one local office to the next (I do not know how or why, but for example it appears quite likely that applications are not transferred to Montreal until long after applications submitted at the same time have been transferred to other local offices).

But, anyway, basically applicants will see nothing indicated in eCas after the initial "in process" message (application rec'd, letter and booklet sent, app in process) until they see a message that a letter or notice has been sent scheduling them for the test (or interview) unless the applicant first is sent a request for certain documents, fingerprints, or a Residency Questionnaire form.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
drsamijoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drsamijoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 8:01am
Fully clear answer.

I really appreciate it.

Thanks very much,
Sam
Sam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic