Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Test Experience - St Clair, pre-test RQ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Test Experience - St Clair, pre-test RQ
    Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 4:44pm
Have just had CIT test and interview @ St.Clair. One family member RQed in March 2013. Notice to prepare, followed by Notice to appear - Jan 2014.

1. Logistics. Do not come earlier than 15 minutes before your due time - there is absolutely no room to wait and staff ask people not to stay in the hallways. Door opens quarter to the due time. They perform massive operations these days - there are at least 150 people taking the test at the same time. Seniors are invited for interview right away, those taking the test check in once all the seniors are already seated in the interview waiting area.

2. Test. No comments - nothing that you can't find online and practice. After the test response cards are processed momentarily and placed into your file by clerical staff.

3. Interview. Interview waiting area is located at the back of the testing hall. There are 20 clerical stations set up there and each clerk has 8 to 10 cases assigned for that day. Numbers on the station booths correspond with handwritten numbers that you can find on your Notice. People are called in one by one, case workers came out to the waiting area asking case members to follow them to the booth.

Step 1 - documents verification, quite simple and mechanical. Step 2 - travel and RQ. It HAS BEEN processed - case worker who interviewed me clearly said that after asking me a few questions about work and life in Canada and verifying stamps against CBSA record. The worker then explained that she needed to focus on non-RQed individual as she did not have any issues with me after processing the RQ but needed to know more about my partner and their travel history.

Non-RQed family member was also questioned about work and study but she took quite some time to carefully screen passports page by page, and stamp by stamp asking some clarification question. IMPORTANT!!! Although there is nothing about  any additional documents mentioned in the Notice, we had copies of all passports, translation of stamps, CBSA record and employment verification letter for my partner. The worker took it all and said that it was very helpful. I believe that had we not to have these papers handy my partner would have been given an RQ-lite. We have passport copies annotated - each stamp and mark was linked to a footnote, explaining what that one was about.

BTW - my partner seems to be passing through with 18 trips outside Canada, and 7 months absence right after landing.

At the end she said she did not have any issues with the file and it will be referred to the CJ. There is some discrepancy between what they say about the ceremony - before the test we were told to wait for 2 to 8 weeks, after the interview "my" worker "guessed" it would be 3 to 6 months, and at the same time I overhead another worker talking about "just a couple of weeks". And, yes, all ceremonies will be in Scarborough.

So, lesson learned - be proactive and take some steps in advance to help them to process you smoothly. Overall experience - stressful but very positive.

Edited by twocats - 28 Jan 2014 at 2:55pm
Jam456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 5:07pm
Hello twocats,
Thanks a lot for sharing the valuable information, it was really helpful for others like me who are anxiously awaiting the test.
It is also relieving to note that they carefully go through our RQ responses before inviting for the test.
Thanks once again.
GPU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 5:11pm
Thank you so much for sharing. 

Was you tested at 25 St Clair or 55 St Clair?

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 6:33pm

Good report, good details. Thank you twocats.

Caveat: reports of personal experience during test event interviews varies. For example some have reported no opportunity to present any additional documents. Others have similarly reported CIC staff receptive to presentation of additional documentation.

Being prepared is always a good idea. And, actually, some have reported they got the sense the fact they just had the extra documents with them (visibly) seemed to make things go more smoothly, as though just having them was sufficient to make the interviewer satisfied.

Regarding timeline: there have been several reports of very quick timelines to the oath following the test. But, not enough to conclude there is a general trend and certainly not enough to predict how it will go for any particular individual. These timelines have long varied by quite a bit, and while overall CIC may be pushing more through in just a couple weeks, these timelines are likely to still vary considerably. Very difficult to predict how it will go for a particular individual.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
twocats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 7:03pm
Correct me if I'm wrong but there is one particular office which is famous for quick oath timeline - Mississauga. As for Scarborough - I'm not sure, so far have not found any evidence here.
pretestRQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pretestRQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 7:42pm
Thanks twocats.
This information is really helpful.

Regarding documentary evidence, 
A) Do we need to worry about the relevent four years period (and after)  specified in the citizenship application?
OR
B) Do we also need documents supporting any period preceeding relevent four years period aswell?

For example, if somone landed in 2006 and applied for citizenship in 2011 (Citizenship application four year period 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011), do they need worry about the documentary evidence for 2006 and 2007? 
Jam456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 7:48pm
Hi Twocats,
Also, did the CIC officials check originals of the documents submitted as RQ response? (For instance, bank certificates, tax returns, etc.).
Thanks once again.
twocats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 8:06pm
Ok, people, I can't tell you whether or not you need to worry about anything at all:) Speaking from experience, all pre-landing and post-application information including passport stamps was totally ignored during the interview but for sure it was looked into at some point in time. AND I did not bring any additional docs for myself other than those listed in the Notice.
pretestRQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pretestRQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 8:22pm
Thanks ..the info you provided is very helpful. :-)
cag_73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cag_73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 9:55pm
Few weeks back my friend got oath invite within 2 weeks time after test from Scarborough center  
App Received     14-Oct-2011
In Process     29-May-2012
Test Date     22-Oct-2012
Oath          06-Jan-2013
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic