Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice is needed ASAP plzz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Golden Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice is needed ASAP plzz
    Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 9:55pm
Hi everybody...I received today a letter from citizenship Canada to appear in the test on Feb 4th in Mississauga. 

I applied to the citizenship when I was living in Mississauga almost 13 months ago, 4 months ago I moved to Manitoba as I got a job here. Despite I informed them directly after I moved to Manitoba, Surprisingly they scheduled me to appear in the test in Mississauga. The letter they sent even arrived today in my Manitobian address. 

Do u think  this letter was sent by mistake?  In case i decide to travel to Mississauga to appear in the test, would that be possible?
White Bear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 10:17pm
Since they mailed u the letter to Manitoba, it means they have ur correct address. You can always check ur ecas and ur address should show there.

I know it will cost u some money to travel to Toronto and take ur test there. Besides taking time off from work.
However, my advice is to go to Mississauga and take the test. People from Winnipeg are reporting a 3 years journey for routine cases.

Hope u come to the right decision and best of luck.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 10:47pm
An inconveninet turn of events, unfortunately.

What to do is largely a personal choice. How inconvenient travel to Toronto is for you, personally, for example; and then there is the oath, and another trip for that. Or perhaps, they will transfer it anyway once the local office is on the same page regarding your change of address (mailing address itself was probably electronically generated). Hard to say how this will go. An example of how just a little complication in life can make things at least worrisome, if not problematic.

I am fairly sure you can contact CIC and they will transfer the file, if you want, and you can wait some more.

I also believe, though, if you show up for the test, that is OK as well. At that point there is likely to be some exchange regarding the change in address, but if you properly did that it should cause no problems . . . other than possibly a transfer, with fair chance if you do not want it transferred they will finish the process there (assuming no other complications arising).

I could afford the time and the trip, so I would travel to take the test and deal with the address issue at that point in time, there. But, again, that is a personal decision.

Agree with White Bear that you should examine your eCas and confirm the correct current address is there, even though it appears that CIC does indeed have your correct current address given the mailing.

I do not know the timeline for processing citizenship applications in Winnepeg but in general such offices often take significantly longer than the faster offices. 13 months is not the fastest timeline we have seen of late but it is on the significantly faster side relative to most reports. Would be nice to do it and get it done I am sure.

A bit chilly tonight in Manitoba isn't it? (Minus 24 here at the moment, which is chilly enough.)

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
albertan2011 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albertan2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 1:47am

To add a little more to dpenabill and white bear's point.As now you live more than 2.5 hours drive from your testing centre(Missisauga) ,you could request CIC to schedule your test and oath on the same day.Unfortunately I do not have the exact link with me now but I am 100% sure that CIC has a policy of scheduling the test and oath on the same day for applicants who live atleast 2.5 hours drive from their testing centre (infact local office, as majority of applicants take their tests through their local offices)

The Golden Lion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Golden Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by White Bear White Bear wrote:

Since they mailed u the letter to Manitoba, it means they have ur correct address. You can always check ur ecas and ur address should show there.

Thanks a lot White bear for your reply. Actually I checked my address in ecas few days after I called the CIC help line to change it, it was already changed at that time. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Golden Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

I am fairly sure you can contact CIC and they will transfer the file, if you want, and you can wait some more. 

Thanks a lot dpenabill for your reply. I gave a call to CIC help line almost 2 months ago to check whether my file has been transferred to Winnipeg or not yet. The officer he answered my call told me that for some reason your file is still in Mississauga although by this time was suppose to be transferred to Winnipeg. He said, he will send them an email to ask them to transfer my file to Winnipeg. I gave a call almost 3 weeks ago to ask whether has it been transferred to Winnipeg or not yet. Surprisingly,  the officer who answered my call this time said, it's still in Mississauga and she doesn't know why such a delay is happening to transfer my file to Winnipeg, although she can see that an email was sent for them in this regard. She finally advised me to give a call back by the end of January to check again whether the transfer has happened or not yet !! 

Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

A bit chilly tonight in Manitoba isn't it? (Minus 24 here at the moment, which is chilly enough.)

Actually I live in a city called Thompson located 800 km north of Winnipeg, so -24 is considered to be a good weather as compared to the usual weather at this time of the year in Thompson Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Golden Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by albertan2011 albertan2011 wrote:

To add a little more to dpenabill and white bear's point.As now you live more than 2.5 hours drive from your testing centre(Missisauga) ,you could request CIC to schedule your test and oath on the same day.Unfortunately I do not have the exact link with me now but I am 100% sure that CIC has a policy of scheduling the test and oath on the same day for applicants who live atleast 2.5 hours drive from their testing centre (infact local office, as majority of applicants take their tests through their local offices)

Thanks a lot albertan2011 for your reply. I will give them a call tomorrow to inquire about this issue but i doubt that they will allow me to do my test in Winnipeg at same date, because of the short notice.
albertan2011 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albertan2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 3:22pm
You are very welcome ! But infact, I meant to say that if you decide to take the test in Missisauga ,then you can request CIC to schedule your oath on the same day there (Missisauga) as you are living more than 2.5 hours drive from Missisauga and it will be difficult for you to come again after few weeks again for your oath so if posssible they could schedule your test and oath both on the same day there.Its very unlikely for CIC to transfer your file at this stage to Winnipeg and keeping in view the current timeline of Winnipeg office,I don't think it will be good for you.
My elder brother lives in Medicin Hat.His local office was Calgary .CIC scheduled the test and oath both on the same day .Although,he was not required to request CIC about it as CIC itself did that for him.

Hope it helps!
links18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote links18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 1:31pm
You do not want your file going to Winnipeg, if you can avoid it. 
White Bear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 11:06am
Golden Lion,
Any updates? Did u take the test in Mississauga? It is an interesting case.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic