Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OHIP & SIN Eligibility with Stage one approval

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipanemasand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OHIP & SIN Eligibility with Stage one approval
    Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 10:01am
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about applying for OHIP and SIN with a Permanent Residence Stage One approval.  Does anyone know if it is possible or has anyone here successfully applied?

My Japanese wife, who I am sponsoring, and I are both here in Canada already.  She entered the country on a tourist visa, after which we began her (outland) permanent residency application.  We just received the  stage one approval letter and was told by Immigration Canada that that letter would be sufficient to apply for OHIP and SIN.  However both OHIP office and Service Canada rejected our application yesterday stating they need the final approval with the PR card in hand.  

But this is what is written in the website of Ministry of Health and Long-term care:  

Am I eligible for Ontario Health Insurance?

On April 1, 2009 the changes to OHIP eligibility rules under Regulation 552 of the Health Insurance Act became effective.  You may be eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) if you are included under one of the following categories :

you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada;

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_dt.aspx

Does this not make my wife eligible?  Were the service clerks and their supervisors wrong in rejecting our application or am I misunderstanding the new rule?

Any clarification would be appreciated, thanks!

ipanemasand

scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 10:22am
Since you applied via outland, your wife will not be eligible for a SIN until she actually lands. OHIP will be about three months after that.

So to answer your question - the service clerks were right in rejecting your application.

If your wife had applied via inland, the answer would be different.

Hope this helps.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 10:27am
You are elegable if you receive first stage aproval for PR under the IN Canada class. It clearly says in Canada.

Had it been an inland application then yes she would have been eligablr at first stage aproval, but then you would'nt have received that yet. Because the process is quicker outland, she is not eligable for a SIN or medical coverage until she has landed, depending on the Japanise timeline, and I have no idea what that is, you must wait until she is able to land.

Submitting an application in Canada does not apply to outland applications that go via Mississauga, as Mississauga is a processing center which basically just checks that you are an elegable sponsor and everything is present and correct.
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
ipanemasand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipanemasand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 10:31pm
scylla, redeagle,

Thank you both for the clarification.  It's disappointing news, but I'm glad to have settled this matter.

scylla, you wrote that my wife will be eligible for OHIP three months after she "lands"?  Does that mean three months after she receives permanent residency?  Or three months after she has entered Canada, which has already passed?

Thanks!
ipanemasand
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 10:54pm
She lands when she enters Canada with her PR.
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic