Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Change in marital status

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anjalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Change in marital status
    Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 6:07pm
Hi,

I have landed in Canada as a landed immigrant 20 days back after my husband filed for me and i got my PR status. I am waiting to receive my PR card which would be issued on my maiden name as my application was made on maiden name by my husband. I wish to assume my husband's last name, how do i make sure that i get my other docs like health card, SIN etc with my husband's last name in it. I plan to get my PR name changed after i receive it

I am an Indian and visited the Indian Consulate in Toronto to get my name change in the passport too with the necessary docs like marriage certificate etc. I was surprised no end with their response, they asked me to get my original marriage certificate signed by the Ministry of External Affairs - State and then from the Home Ministry, New Delhi and then they will change my name on the passport. I really found it silly because I am here and I will have to go all the way to India to get this done or get someone to do if for me from there, which is not possible.

Is there any way I can get this done and also get my Canadian docs  by assuming my husband's last name. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Anjali Frank

Edited by anjalis - 03 Mar 2010 at 6:17pm
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 6:27pm
First you have to get the name changed on your passport/nationality documents. It means Indian documents/id's first.

Then later on the Canadian documents.

Each country has their own way/procedure of doing it, I am not indian so can't help you much....but its going to take effort, money, procedures, etc....specially because you are not in your home country anymore.....

Good Luck.
blackpearl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackpearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 6:33pm
1. Prepare your marriage certificate (translated to English if necessary)
2. Go to (or call) the place where you apply for Driver license, health card, SIN card, bank card, and tell them that you want to change the name in the card. Typically you just need to provide the marriage certificate as proof.
3. Follow same process for PR Card, in which you will contact CIC.

tanushree.tiku View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tanushree.tiku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 4:47am

Hi Anjali, whatever info the embassy has provided u is correct.It is mentioned on their website too..Its very stupid but then alas that is the way it is.....so for getting the name changed on ur passport, the documents will have to be attested by the concerned person in delhi....

tanushree.tiku View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tanushree.tiku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 4:49am
Originally posted by anjalis anjalis wrote:

Hi,

I have landed in Canada as a landed immigrant 20 days back after my husband filed for me and i got my PR status. I am waiting to receive my PR card which would be issued on my maiden name as my application was made on maiden name by my husband. I wish to assume my husband's last name, how do i make sure that i get my other docs like health card, SIN etc with my husband's last name in it. I plan to get my PR name changed after i receive it

I am an Indian and visited the Indian Consulate in Toronto to get my name change in the passport too with the necessary docs like marriage certificate etc. I was surprised no end with their response, they asked me to get my original marriage certificate signed by the Ministry of External Affairs - State and then from the Home Ministry, New Delhi and then they will change my name on the passport. I really found it silly because I am here and I will have to go all the way to India to get this done or get someone to do if for me from there, which is not possible.

Is there any way I can get this done and also get my Canadian docs  by assuming my husband's last name. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Anjali Frank

But if u want to change ur name on the other cards like health card etc then only the marriage certificate should work. But then there is no use actually...Since u want to adopt ur husbands name u wud need to change the name on ur passport thus a change of name
anjalis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anjalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 1:18pm
thank u all for your respective replies, that really helped but also raised another question in my mind

if i get all my canadian docs with my husband's last name and my passport still bearing my maiden name, will that not cause any trouble when i visit my home country (India) and return because when i return my PR and my passport will have a different  last names (given that i could not get my last name changed in my home country)

regards

anjali
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic