Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Not ready for citizenship test: try to reschedule
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not ready for citizenship test: try to reschedule

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtltest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not ready for citizenship test: try to reschedule
    Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 8:54pm
My wife just found out that she has a citizenship test scheduled in 11 days. We had moved addresses and the notification ended up at the old address, I just happened to call to check on the status today and found out the test is October 21. 

Does anyone know if it is in her best interest to attend anyway even if it is certain she will fail? She is not prepared at all and 11 days will not be enough time to get ready. We could also try to reschedule but I'm not sure if it is a good excuse to claim being underprepared. 

Any insight into how to handle this is appreciated! Thanks.
123smike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123smike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 9:11pm
people are getting crazy to get a test date and this is opposite reaction from your side, 11 days are enough to read a small booklet
mtltest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtltest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 9:14pm
I should be more specific about how unprepared my wife is. She moved to Canada several years ago but didn't learn any english until she was in her mid-30's and hasn't taken any language courses. She speaks limited english but enough to get by. Her reading and writing skills in english are almost non-existent. So she can't read through the book on her own and even if she could she would not be able to figure out what enough of the written questions were asking. 

11 days might be a reasonable amount of time to someone fluent in english or french but I can't see it being nearly enough with her language skills.
123smike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123smike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 9:17pm
failling a test is much better then not attending it..since cic may not give her a chance and second giving the test one time will increase her confidence..but start preparing right away
yycgal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yycgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 9:18pm
I would not delay the exam, rescheduling it could be a nightmare.
11 days is not impossible, read the booklet many times and take as many online tests as you can manage. I found the online tests really helpful.

If she fails CIC will reschedule her with a quicker timeline than if you delay it.
parkbr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parkbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by mtltest mtltest wrote:

My wife just found out that she has a citizenship test scheduled in 11 days. We had moved addresses and the notification ended up at the old address, I just happened to call to check on the status today and found out the test is October 21. 

Does anyone know if it is in her best interest to attend anyway even if it is certain she will fail? She is not prepared at all and 11 days will not be enough time to get ready. We could also try to reschedule but I'm not sure if it is a good excuse to claim being underprepared. 

Is she also at St.Clair?
yycgal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yycgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 9:47pm
You weren't kidding when you said your wife was not prepared.
Were you not aware that there would be an written exam?

Edited by yycgal - 10 Oct 2013 at 10:05pm
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 9:57pm

Drop everything and train your wife in the last 10 days. DO NOT try to reschedule test-- you'll most likely be "blessed" with RQ and then a real headache will begin. Test is quite easy if she will be able to read simple test questions in a test form and will know material. In the worst case CIC will schedule re-testing, but without a high possibility of a penalty in form of RQ, and you will have time to prepare better.

Edited by EasyRider - 10 Oct 2013 at 9:59pm
greeny View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 10:08pm

I should be more specific about how unprepared my wife is. She moved to Canada several years ago but didn't learn any english until she was in her mid-30's and hasn't taken any language courses. She speaks limited english but enough to get by. Her reading and writing skills in english are almost non-existent. So she can't read through the book on her own and even if she could she would not be able to figure out what enough of the written questions were asking. 

11 days might be a reasonable amount of time to someone fluent in english or french but I can't see it being nearly enough with her language skills.
 I'm sorry , but why have you applied for citizenship with no even basic knowledge of English? Confused
one of the main criteria is to understand and speak English.

to reschedule your test will end up in RQ - that's about 2 years waiting for another test date.
to attend the test is not a guarantee to be permitted to write it, cause she has to pass a small interview with the officer before writing it.

At my test date the were 2 ladies who were not allowed to write a test. I don't know what  is going to happen if she is "dismissed" of writing a test.

my advice is  to do all the best and try to prepare for the test. there is a slight but hope to pass it .

if she fails than it could be rescheduled or she will face a judge.
good luck

Edited by greeny - 10 Oct 2013 at 10:10pm
landed: May, 2003

applied: Dec04,2009

test/RQ: Feb15,2011 st.clair
2nd RQ: Aug 2014
Total waiting time to oath: 60,5 months :)= 5 years and 14 days
oath- Dec , 2014
polarbear View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:15pm
Thousands and thousands of people are checking their post boxes everyday to see whether they got any letter from CIC.

You must be out of your mind to reschedule the test date.

Rescheduling itself will trigger an RQ which will add up the processing time by another 2 to 3 years.

Does your wife want to become a citizen in 2013 or wait till 2015 or 2016. It's up to you.

Rescheduling is not a good idea. you will regret it.

Edited by polarbear - 10 Oct 2013 at 11:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic