Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Not ready for citizenship test: try to reschedule
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not ready for citizenship test: try to reschedule

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not ready for citizenship test: try to reschedule
    Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Rcitizenship Rcitizenship wrote:

Thanks for replying back. Actually i quit my job in Toronto in December 2013 and moved to Windsor and my husband got a job in Detroit. We live in a basement and the owner collects and gives me all the mails when they get time to sort out. Last month, I was very busy with relocation and settling down and taking care of my 20month old. I didn't open so many of my January mails yet. The only proof i have to show my presence in Toronto was that i have a resignation letter emailed to my HR in the end of December, a month before cic notification. Can you suggest how can i explain this situation to the officer.
Thanks

I am no expert and in particular I am not qualified to offer individual advice regarding a specific application.

Best I can offer is to be sure to submit the request to reschedule in writing, using a courier service with confirmation of delivery, and to simply clearly and honestly explain what the circumstances are, why you had not updated your mailing address as yet, and so on. Other than obtaining the help of a lawyer, a simple and honest statement is really the best way to handle things. It is what it is, and it is best to confront it head-on, unequivocally. While sometimes CIC gets it wrong, they mostly figure things out, one way or another.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Rcitizenship View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcitizenship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 3:02pm
Thanks for replying back. Actually i quit my job in Toronto in December 2013 and moved to Windsor and my husband got a job in Detroit. We live in a basement and the owner collects and gives me all the mails when they get time to sort out. Last month, I was very busy with relocation and settling down and taking care of my 20month old. I didn't open so many of my January mails yet. The only proof i have to show my presence in Toronto was that i have a resignation letter emailed to my HR in the end of December, a month before cic notification. Can you suggest how can i explain this situation to the officer.
Thanks
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Rcitizenship Rcitizenship wrote:

Hello everyone,
I missed my citizenship test since my mails came to my old address. I just checked online status after the test date. Does anyone has any luck rescheduling the test? I heard they are very strict with the reasons you provide. Please help me.

Yes, most indications are that they tend to be strict about test no-shows. In particular, being abroad and not able to return in time for the test is specifically a non-acceptable reason, at least that is what CIC asserts. I suspect this can be challenged.

If CIC made the error in mailing to the old address (as in you had properly and timely notified CIC of your change in address), there should be no problem. If, however, you failed to update your address, I am not sure how this will go; obviously it was entirely your responsibility to notify CIC of any material changes in the information you submitted with the application and the failure to do so will tend to have predictable consequences.

Main thing is to make the formal submission of a request to process your application, including a clear statement of the circumstances leading to your failure to appear at the time scheduled for the test. You have a limited time in which to do this or the application is deemed abandoned, withdrawn, and is summarily terminated. You would have to start over, applying again.

My impression, by the way, is that CIC is making an effort to cover all their bases in giving notification. For me, for example, I had the message appear in eCas around three weeks prior to the date scheduled. Then I received the letter specifically giving me notice of the date, time, and place, in the mail. And then CIC telephoned my home phone to make sure I had received the "invitation" (as she put it). My sense is that CIC is doing this in an effort to establish adequate notice has been given so as to justify the termination of application for no-shows. So, again, you really need to get the formal request for rescheduling submitted, in paper (using a courier service which will give you confirmation of delivery), and not rely on a telephone call.

You may want to seriously consider consulting with a lawyer. Particularly if you have been abroad extensively since applying or you did not update your address with CIC.   
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Rcitizenship View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcitizenship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 7:34am
Hello everyone,
I missed my citizenship test since my mails came to my old address. I just checked online status after the test date. Does anyone has any luck rescheduling the test? I heard they are very strict with the reasons you provide. Please help me.
edmonton2011 View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmonton2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by pree pree wrote:

Also, I did not see or know anywhere If you are out of the country for 2 weeks or more, you are supposed to notify the CIC so they won't schedule you for testing or oaths.

Where was this written?

Thank you so much

While we process your application, you should only contact CIC if:

• you change your address,
  • you plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row,
  • you are charged with a crime or
  • we do not contact you about your file within the posted processing times.
Timeline spreadsheet

Rec'd: Sep 01, '11
In proc: Jan 24, '12
Test: Apr 25, '13
Oath: Jul 1, '13
Fedup2013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fedup2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 3:39pm
Pree,

Oh by the way, do you mind to share your timeline?

Thanks,

Simon
Landed Immigrant: Oct 2009
Sent Application: Mar 2013
In-process: Jun 2013
Received Letter: Jul 2013
File transferred to Mississauga Office: 15 Aug 2013
Written Test: 18 Jan 2014
Oath : 23 Jan 2014
Fedup2013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fedup2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 3:35pm
Hi Pree,

The best and easiest way is to download "Magicjack" App from Google Play:

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magicjack&hl=en

You can call anywhere in USA & Canada for free.

If you pay extra amount, you can get a Canadian Telephone Number and have your ecase telephone with CIC updated or divert your calls from local Canadian line to your MagicJack number.

Or you can follow the other given ideas:

Originally posted by EasyRider EasyRider wrote:

Originally posted by winnipeg-mb winnipeg-mb wrote:

Hello,
Does anybody know.. which ph no to use to call CIC call center from outside Canada? I am not in Canada right now and in need to call CIC. Please Reply.
Thanks in advance

You can try using this number +16139444000 (Foreign Affairs & Development office), probably you'll need to use Skype as well, though I'm not sure. After language options (1 or 2), it'll provide with agencies selection, I believe route for CIC is then: 1 (Foreign Affairs inquires) and then 2 (information about immigration and visas). You'll be transferred to CIC like if you were calling +1888 number. I use this number to call CIC from Skype, and Skype is not routed through Canadian area number.

Good luck!

Simon

Edited by Fedup2013 - 26 Nov 2013 at 3:37pm
Landed Immigrant: Oct 2009
Sent Application: Mar 2013
In-process: Jun 2013
Received Letter: Jul 2013
File transferred to Mississauga Office: 15 Aug 2013
Written Test: 18 Jan 2014
Oath : 23 Jan 2014
eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 3:21pm
Hi Pree,
I don't know what is wrong with my linking ability, but it keeps dropping the : from the https://, so you can either add it in from the past link or cut and paste this: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14368&KW=cic+outside+canada+call&PID=211241&title=how-to-call-cic-call-center-from-outside-of-canada#211241

I can't find the source of the CIC's request for notification of absences two weeks or longer. It's somewhere, but I don't have time to track it down right now.
Resources for Future Canadians & their Advocates: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com
pree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 3:11pm
Hello Eileen

You have been really helpful...

can you pls provide that number for calling CIC toll free from outside Canada?

Also, I did not see or know anywhere If you are out of the country for 2 weeks or more, you are supposed to notify the CIC so they won't schedule you for testing or oaths.

Where was this written?

Thank you so much
Currently a PR- applied for Citizenship
pree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 3:00pm
Thank you Eileen

Can you please provide me the number to call that toll free number from outside of Canada? That link is not working

Thanks

Currently a PR- applied for Citizenship
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic