Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Delivery by hand/in-person at local CIC office

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waiting-in-Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delivery by hand/in-person at local CIC office
    Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 7:07pm
Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this (or has experience of it), but since my RQ return address is the Vancouver CIC office, would I be able to drop it off at that office in-person?

It's going to be a huge package of documents, so not only would I prefer not to spend a huge amount on sending it the half-mile to the office by mail, if I deliver it in-person, I'll know it's definitely there.

Thoughts welcome!
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Waiting-in-Van Waiting-in-Van wrote:

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this (or has experience of it), but since my RQ return address is the Vancouver CIC office, would I be able to drop it off at that office in-person?

It's going to be a huge package of documents, so not only would I prefer not to spend a huge amount on sending it the half-mile to the office by mail, if I deliver it in-person, I'll know it's definitely there.

Thoughts welcome!

My opinion-- it's better to send it with courier service. It was at least not so long ago possible to deliver RQ to a local office personally, but I'm not sure it's possible now.

"if I deliver it in-person, I'll know it's definitely there"-- not necessarily there. I remember seeing a report, though I can't locate it now, from someone who delivered response in person and later was told it was never received by a local office. Here's a problem here, I think, which is an absence of formal in person delivery procedure and receipt in place. Who is supposed to handle delivery in office? What kind of receipt should be given for RQ? What are the guarantees your response will be handled properly by someone receiving it? I would use fedex service or like and don't bother about it too much.

Edited by EasyRider - 04 Oct 2013 at 7:42pm
Oneday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oneday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 8:27pm
If its ok, I can chime in on this....
I work near the CIC office and recently went in there to drop a letter off and they have removed the box that was usually there for mail and there are clear instructions that CIC does not take any mail by hand anymore. It is part of the new move to help 'streamline' things.
So in my opinion just post it Canadapost with Tracking and Signature.
Best of luck.
Waiting-in-Van View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waiting-in-Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 8:18pm
Thanks for your replies @Oneday and @EasyRider. Much appreciated.

I thought it was worth asking, but you both pretty much confirmed what I was thinking! As much as delivering by hand is logical and simpler, it sounds safer to mail it!
Vancan2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancan2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 1:46pm
I strongly discourage from delivering in-person as you will likely not obtain any receipt or confirmation of delivery.

Use a courier (like a paid delivery person) as they have mechanisms to get confirmation and they will deliver it in person (I am guessing you may even be able to go with them), or use postal service or a commercial delivery carrier (i.e. UPS, Fedex, etc). I think going with the instructions is your best bet. I understand that it makes more sense to deliver in person given the nature (and volume) of the paperwork, but you don't want to be in a situation where you don't have a confirmation of delivery by the 45 day deadline, especially after the release of the OB that warrants closure of applications when RQ response is not received on time.
Vancouver S03/12 L03/12 IP11/12 RQ 03/13 XFER 03/13 Currently In Process
Vancan2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancan2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 1:49pm
Just a clarification, the OB doesn't warrant closure of applications, I meant it to be as an excuse to close applications. I am completely against this practice, especially that the correspondence from CIC is not via guaranteed delivery, which means mail could be lost or misplaced and an applicant who actually does reside at the address with CIC may not get the mail and be surprised when their application is closed due to not responding or missing an event. With this being said, if CIC did use guaranteed delivery (i.e. registered mail for important notices), I would be in favor of closing applications of those who haven't bothered to updated CIC about their actual mailing address.
Vancouver S03/12 L03/12 IP11/12 RQ 03/13 XFER 03/13 Currently In Process
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic